How do I kill equo?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

fusion809
Growing Hen

How do I kill equo?

Post by fusion809 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:10

Hi,

Sometimes I stop equo commands with Ctrl+C when I realize they are doing things (like removing reverse dependencies for a package I am removing) I do not want and while it does stop equo from doing what it is doing, for some reason afterwards when I try to run equo again, it doesn't start. If you don't understand what I mean see this screenshot
Image. It stays this way, after I run equo without any signs of it actually starting equo. I have tried running

Code: Select all

pkill equo
to "kill equo" properly, before re-running it.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
Brenton Horne
Favourite distros: Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE, Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu.
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
My Blog on Sabayon | Google+

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: How do I kill equo?

Post by Stupot » Fri Sep 18, 2015 15:58

If I kill equo using ctrl+c while it's still in the downloading or calculating phase, normally everything is just fine.

You can run this command to make sure equo isn't still running:

# ps aux | grep equo 
If it is, you haven't killed it all the way. (Read warning below before doing this.)

# killall -9 equo
That said, things are bound to go wrong sooner or later doing this. Equo is updating a database that contains all the packages you have installed on your system. If you kill it at the wrong time, you can corrupt your database, which is a very bad thing and can quickly lead to an entirely screwed up system with no way of fixing without a fresh install.

Instead, particularly when removing things that you aren't sure about you should use the --ask flag

# equo remove blas-reference --ask
That will give you a safe place to cancel the actions you have lined up and you won't run into issues like this in the future.