Installing all Portage package dependencies with Entropy

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Installing all Portage package dependencies with Entropy

Postby fusion809 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:20

Hi,

I was wondering if there's a command that will determine (using emerge -pv, for example) the dependencies for a Portage package and then install as many of these dependencies as possible using Entropy. Is this possible, or am I just dreaming? See when I try to install packages with Portage often I try to install as many dependencies as possible with Entropy first, before I emerge the remaining dependencies and the target package itself. It would save an awful lot of time and energy if Entropy was capable of automating this process itself.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
Brenton Horne
Favourite distros: Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE, Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu.
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
My Blog on Sabayon | Google+
fusion809
Growing Hen

Re: Installing all Portage package dependencies with Entropy

Postby albfneto » Tue Sep 08, 2015 15:24

yes, is possible and easy.

I operate in this manner...
first, upgrade portage with entropy....

Code: Select all
# equo i portage

This will upgrade portage toa working version. Remember that the Portage of Sabayon may differs (in version) of the Portage of Gentoo.

then If you want install only the Portage package with Portage itself, carry this operation withouit changing the deps:

emerge --oneshot --nodeps -av portage

In this manner, only the portage package will be in gentoo's version.

Remember also two things: for using Entropy and Portage together, you need to change the file/etc/entropy/client.conf. In the line ignore pseudo downgrades change disable to enable.

other thing... after installing something with portage, execute this command:

equo rescue spmsync
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Tue Sep 08, 2015 15:34

If my previous message is not that you need, for install 'more' dependencies with entropy, use this command:

equo i -av --bdeps --deep package

but this seems to me not a good choice, since both in Entropy as in Portage is it possible to control (even using less) dependencies.

Also, in general, Entropy Packages are very related with the "portage's installed" packages.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby fusion809 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 15:54

@first reply. I think you misunderstood what I meant, I don't want to install Portage with Entropy, I want to install packages with Portage, but I would like to install the package's dependencies with Entropy, first. See when you install a package with Portage, it will try to install all the required dependencies with Portage first and then install the package afterwards, what I would like is for Entropy to install the required dependencies, so that then I can install the package with Portage without Portage having to install the dependencies first itself.

For example, see this previous post of mine on installing SageMath with Portage. In that situation what I would like is for Entropy to install as many of Sage's dependencies first (without me having to list all the dependencies for Entropy) as possible and then for Portage to install whatever dependencies were left and then SageMath itself.
Brenton Horne
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
fusion809
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:11

I don't think anyone has written a script, but in general it's pretty easy.

emerge --pretend package

That will print out all of the dependencies of that package that portage needs. Just take all the package names and try to install them via entropy by simply listing all of them after equo:

# equo install dependency1 dependency2 dependency3

equo will complain about packages it can't find, but it will still proceed onto the next and install it. Then just use emerge to install all the unresolved dependencies and the package itself:

# emerge --ask package
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby fusion809 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:13

@Stupot, yep I knew how to do this myself (in fact I wrote how to list a package's dependencies using 'pretend' in my question), but I was hoping someone had written a script to do so automatically so as to save me an awful lot of time in doing this myself.
Brenton Horne
fusion809
Growing Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers