can't update

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

brian_c
Baby Hen

can't update

Post by brian_c » Wed Jul 29, 2015 13:54

hello, my problem is I get a window appearing at the bottom saying you have 384 updates available so I press the upgrade now button but get "you do not have permission to use rigo" so I logged out and logged in as root and waited for the notification and pressed update now when it appeared, however while i never got a 'no permission' warning nothing happened. So i tried to open rigo from the menu as root and again nothing happened. As a desperate attempt I opened a terminal and entered rigo and the cursor went to the next line and sat flashing as if it was waiting but rigo never appeared. I then closed the terminal and got the warning a process is running do you want to close so I cancelled it and waited another 10 minutes but nothing happened. I still receive the same update notification so nothing was updated in the background. I then tried rigo from the terminal again and opened another terminal with the top cmd but could see no process attributed to rigo or entropy. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance for any help, Brian.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: can't update

Post by Stupot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 15:14

Ok, first things first:

it's typically not a good idea to launch a DE as root for security reasons. And there's really no need for it.

It does sound like something has gone awry with your rigo, so let's use equo for now. Open up a terminal, use su to switch to root and run these:

Code: Select all

# equo update
# equo upgrade

That's all Rigo is attempting to do behind the scenes for you in this situation anyway. If those commands give you an error, report back here.

The Catboy
Simple Hen

Post by The Catboy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 16:02

I having the same issue with Rigo telling me that I "don't have permission to use it" How do I fix that?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 16:49

Make sure your user is in the entropy group.

$ groups | grep entropy
lp wheel uucp console audio cdrom video games kvm cdrw usb users pulse pulse-access lpadmin portage messagebus plugdev scanner android mediatomb vboxguest entropy stupot polkituser
If not, add that user to entropy.

# gpasswd -a <user> entropy

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Jul 29, 2015 18:34

Open a terminal window, forget about rigo for now, so you are at a command line than type

su
Enter your root password and hit enter, you will not see any typing on the screen while you enter in your password. You should than notice your command line changes to root. Than type in the following commands

equo update
let it do it's thing and than type

equo install entropy equo --nodeps
let it do it's thing and than type

equo upgrade
this will take a while, pending on number of updates, but let it do it's stuff than once that is done type

equo deptest
You should now be fully upgraded. When using rigo it should be prompting you for a root password so it can do the updates.

The Catboy
Simple Hen

Post by The Catboy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20

I know how to update through terminal, but that doesn't fix the whole Rigo not working. I will try adding myself to entropy.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19

ahhhh ok, I never use rigo. It should prompt you for a password tho. Maybe try starting rigo from the command line and see if any errors come up

brian_c
Baby Hen

Post by brian_c » Thu Jul 30, 2015 22:18

Thank you the equo upgrade did the trick.