MPlayer and Smplayer - [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

deusr
Growing Hen

MPlayer and Smplayer - [Solved]

Post by deusr » Sun May 31, 2015 14:03

Does anyone know why they removed packages "mpayer" and "smplayer" repository? They will come back?
Last edited by deusr on Sun May 31, 2015 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

rdnetto
Young Hen

Re: MPlayer and Smplayer

Post by rdnetto » Sun May 31, 2015 14:51

deusr wrote:Does anyone know why they removed packages "mpayer" and "smplayer" repository? They will come back?
Mplayer and mplayer2 were old and unmaintained - they have been replaced by mpv. (Mplayer2 has been removed from Portage as well.)

I have no idea why Smplayer has been removed - it works perfectly fine with Mpv. (Does anyone know if there's a git repo or something where changes in the list of packages included in Entropy are recorded?)

On a semi-related note, a bunch of packages (including mpv) got broken by the recent libav upgrade, so you might not want to upgrade until that's fixed. (Mplayer still works though.)

EDIT: https://github.com/Sabayon/particles/commits/master lists when packages are added/dropped, but not why.

EDIT2: there's nothing wrong with the packages, I just did unsupported stuff and suffered the consequences.

deusr
Growing Hen

Post by deusr » Sun May 31, 2015 16:15

I have compiled smplayer Portage, is working normal with the mpv, but found it odd to have removed smplayer repository.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sun May 31, 2015 20:11

Adding smplayer back.

Entropy moved to use media-video/mpv (Give it a shot!)
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Mpv
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

LittleWhite
Baby Hen

Re: MPlayer and Smplayer - [Solved]

Post by LittleWhite » Fri Jul 17, 2015 22:58

Hello guys,

I just wanted to say : Thank you.

At the beginning, I was like deusr (really sad about losing mplayer) but that, it was because I didn't know about mpv. Since I discover it, thanks to you and this thread, I totally love it.
So, thank you again for your great job.