Rigo - authentication method changed?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Rigo - authentication method changed?

Postby Richlion » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35

Hello,

with some previous versions of Rigo when starting upgrades we would be asked for the ROOT password. Just recenlty something has changed. An account like "sabayon...." whatever has appeared on the list, for which I don't know what the password is. The other option now seems to have appeared, I managed to install one package as "myself".

The console "su " mode still works and I shutdown Rigo to install upgrades.

Can someone explain, how exactly this should be done? What is that "sabayon...." users?

Thanks
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: Rigo - authentication method changed?

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:10

I think it changed from su to sudo authentication. Try your admin user password.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby Richlion » Wed Jul 24, 2013 16:21

What do you mean admin password? Root password?
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 22:48

If the user is permissioned to use sudo, it should be the user's password.

That said, it's weird if it's using sudo instead of su. I would recommend figuring out why polkit is using sudo instead of su. How you do that, I don't really know though. :/

Are you using systemd or OpenRC? If you aren't sure, then it's OpenRC.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32

Richlion wrote:What do you mean admin password? Root password?

Usually the user with UID 1000, or anyone else in the wheel group. The password of the first user account.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby tollgate » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:20

I have three Sabayon systems and the authentication method has changed on all of them.

Previously the root password was alway required to install new packages.

Now I can install as a user - I get prompted to select the user and enter the associated password.

I don't know if this is intended new behaviour, but it does seem much less secure than before.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Jul 29, 2013 15:39

Using your local user is a very odd thing, unless there is some mechanism underneath we don't know about. The thing is if we install a package as "user1", then how can it access any system folders if that is required? Where does it get installed, in the $HOME of the local user? That would be a strange concept.

By the way, I always use the default settings when installing SL, I am asked for the ROOT password and 1 user account during the installation. Those are only 2 user accounts I use and I have never had to use anything else.

A little bit of explanation would be appreciated on the concept. It's not that I mind, it's that maybe something has changed and is not correct?
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby tollgate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 15:55

Yes, very odd indeed. But packages do seems to get installed in the correct place and the weekly updates all go well. It would seem Rigo is somehow passing root privileges to the user but I have no idea why it's suddenly doing this.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:44

Richlion wrote:A little bit of explanation would be appreciated on the concept. It's not that I mind, it's that maybe something has changed and is not correct?

I can only agree with that. Things like these should appear in notices. When I saw the systemd notice, I thought that such notices were normal. Rigo isn't the only example for this. Consolekit was dumped a few weeks ago, and the only way I found out about it was when things stopped working.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby tollgate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55

I really do not like the way any user on all of my three Sabayon machines can install or uninstall anything they choose as a user.

I am guessing there must be a way to change this behaviour back to the previous way of doing things, ie: only root can install or uninstall. Anyone one know how to do this?
tollgate
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers