Rigo not asking for root password

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Rigo not asking for root password

Postby Ponder » Tue Jul 09, 2013 15:45

Rigo has stopped asking for my root password, it just fails with a "not authorized" message.

Am I missing something obvious?

My work around is to use equo, of course, but I'd like to solve this.
Ponder
Simple Hen

Re: Rigo not asking for root password

Postby albfneto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:31

please, for verify, try open RIGO in a terminal, using graphical sudo:

Code: Select all
$ gksu rigo (and  root password, when you use gnome or other DEs) OR
$ kdesu rigo (when you use KDE)
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12

Ponder wrote:Rigo has stopped asking for my root password, it just fails with a "not authorized" message.

Am I missing something obvious?

My work around is to use equo, of course, but I'd like to solve this.

Have you tried entering your user password?

I have noticed that rigo is now requesting the user password and fails with the root one (with more than one user; a drop down box appears to choose the user).
rigo does open with "kdesu rigo" and my root password.

I don't know if this is an intended change or a bug. I suspect the latter.

Screen capture here: http://tmblr.co/ZdT4OrpImeMJ

Two systems; SL KDE AMD 64 and SL Mate AMD 64. Both fully updated. Using 3.9 kernel and with Entropy 208. Both running systemd.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Ponder » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:54

albfento, I've now changed the menu entry for Rigo to launch via kdesu, and that works fine, but not when I launch through Magneto.

dunsurfin, It's not asking for a password at all. I have no text box to enter any password.
Ponder
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 19:03

Do not run Rigo as root. It's plain wrong and not supported. Run Rigo as user.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby life-on-mars » Mon Jul 22, 2013 14:52

lxnay wrote:Do not run Rigo as root. It's plain wrong and not supported. Run Rigo as user.

"Not supported" like in "not possible" or "no one helps you when bad things happen"?

I thought Rigo is just a frontend to Equo. Almost everything Rigo does require superuser access. If it's wrong to run Rigo as root, doesn't that mean it's better not to use it at all? Or am I missing anything here? :?:
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Jul 22, 2013 18:28

Security concerns. You shouldn't be running things as root that don't absolutely require it. The files those programs create would then be owned by root and for some programs that means they will have the incorrect permissions to run as a user later.

I don't know the specifics about Rigo, but that would the general idea of what's wrong with running things as root if I had to guess.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Tue Jul 23, 2013 13:15

Stupot wrote:Security concerns. You shouldn't be running things as root that don't absolutely require it. The files those programs create would then be owned by root and for some programs that means they will have the incorrect permissions to run as a user later.

Well, I don't see what files Rigo would access as a normal user, but I can understand why someone would want to run it as root. Unless you intend to install only one package, you'll have to enter your password several times. If you install a lot, perhaps even a few dozen times. In either case, it's much easier to do that with equo.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby Ponder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 21:13

lxnay wrote:Do not run Rigo as root. It's plain wrong and not supported. Run Rigo as user.

When I run it as a user, I don't get a password prompt. This is why I started this thread.
Ponder
Simple Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:03

Rigo uses Polkit to authorize superuser access, and Polkit uses D-Bus to communicate with other applications. In cases where you D-Bus Session Daemon isn't running properly, various desktop applications may break to the point that they are unusable. Some Desktop Manager installations don't start the daemon in a sane manner. I've experienced that with lightdm several times. Sometimes it just happens out of the blue with no apparent reason. Other window managers are possibly not affected. Switching to gdm solved that kind of problem for me.

You can check if D-Bus is working by starting dconf-editor in a terminal window as a normal user:
Code: Select all
dconf-editor

If dconf-editor complains that it cannot connect to the session daemon, then something is wrong with D-Bus and switching to another DM might solve it.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers