package.mask: prevent upgrading past the 173 nvidia driver?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

package.mask: prevent upgrading past the 173 nvidia driver?

Postby joe3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 19:38

I may have misunderstood what an
Code: Select all
equo upgrade --ask

wanted to do... But it wanted to upgrade something to
x11-drivers/nvidia-userspace-319.23

Which got my attention because I know for a fact that the 319 driver doesn't support my built-in GeForce 6150 LE... And I've had some problems with the 304 driver that allegedly does. Thus I intentionally use the 173 driver.

Now maybe upgrading nvidia-userspace to 319 wouldn't have messed with my working 173 driver. But since the 319 driver will ignore my ONLY graphics card, I saw no reason to let the upgrade put anything to do with 319 on my system...

So I decided to try masking it in

/etc/entropy/packages/package.mask

But I'm not sure I understand the minimalistically provided example(s) well enough to be sure of the results.

I would like to permit any kernel upgrades that don't require upgrading beyond the the 173 nvidia driver. And if the 173 driver gets an upgrade or maybe even a security fix, then I do want that to upgrade... Will this work?
>x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.99.99
>x11-drivers/nvidia-userspace-173.99.99

--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: package.mask: prevent upgrading past the 173 nvidia driv

Postby albfneto » Thu Jun 20, 2013 20:20

you may only mask the drivers,

but also the legacy drivers cannot run good with new xorgs or new kernels!

you should install the driver, using a "good for you" kernel and xorg, working good, and then mask the installed an all future versions, for no more upgrade.

mask directly with command, is easier:

sudo equo mask nvidia-drivers nvidia-settings nvidia-userspace linux-sabayon xorg-server xorg-drivers
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Thu Jun 20, 2013 20:28

but remember also that series 6 or above NVIDIA working with new drivers.I used with my old NVIDIA GForce 8600 GT.

Now, this, my video board, was burned, died, and i substituted it by an NVIDIA GEForce 610.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby joe3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31

albfneto wrote:you may only mask the drivers,

Oh... I was going by this:

/etc/entropy/packages/package.mask.example wrote:
# EXAMPLES:
# >=media-libs/foo-1.2.3
# media-libs/foo
# <media-libs/foo-1.2.3

Which I thought indicated it was possible to mask by at least ">=" {greater then or equal to} foo version 1.2.3

I had thought: the only questions were if it was possible to mask by ">" {greater than} without an "=" {equal to} reference? and if the specified version number had to currently exist or not?

But if I can't specify version at all, then I can't. {sigh}

but also the legacy drivers cannot run good with new xorgs or new kernels!

you should install the driver, using a "good for you" kernel and xorg, working good, and then mask the installed an all future versions, for no more upgrade.

Hmmmnnn; Well I'm fairly sure the the 173 driver would be "legacy"... But how about the 304? I have a vague memory that the only problem I had with that driver was {A} another distro & {B} I think the only drawback I noticed was being unable to access more than a single, non-stereo sound channel with the built-in sound chip... But then, as a non-gamer, I never bothered to try for 3d acceleration... The 319 driver on the other hand ignores my built-in GeForce 6150 LE. I'm quite sure of that because on one of my recent attempts to reinstall Sabayon with the Sabayon_Linux_13.04_amd64_Xfce.iso (using the F5 activated boot param that says something about "real init", but without typing in the "noaccelmanager" option, gave me an infinite loop with error messages that claimed my card was supported by 304 but was being ignored by 319, but no other graphics card was found...

So I'm hoping the 304 is good enough, I can live without stereo sound if I gotta... And that might not happen with Sabayon's implementation.

mask directly with command, is easier:

sudo equo mask nvidia-drivers nvidia-settings nvidia-userspace linux-sabayon xorg-server xorg-drivers

Well if it's not possible to specify the version of the nvidia drivers, then yeah, that does look easier than editing by hand.

----

albfneto wrote:but remember also that series 6 or above NVIDIA working with new drivers.I used with my old NVIDIA GForce 8600 GT.

Now, this, my video board, was burned, died, and i substituted it by an NVIDIA GEForce 610.

<rantmode> ;)
It irks me somewhat that they say "series 6 and above", when I figure that a NVidia GeForce 6150 LE, starts with "NVidia GeForce 6" But the 319 driver (unless it was something else in the live boot process) detects and then specifically ignores my NVidia GeForce 6150 LE

I mean if it tried and failed I'd just figure that the problem was something flaky with it being an integrated built-in instead of an actual card...

But when I saw boot text on tty1 telling me that 319 was ignoring my card, and informing me that it was supported by the 304 driver, I figured that they KNOW the 319 don't support at least one card with a designation that is "150 LE" above "NVidia GeForce 6"
</rantmode> ;)

I'm thinking that I'll clear my manually inserted mask lines, and try your example command... If later something takes exception to the 173, Or I want to try a newer kernel, I'll just have to temporarily comment them out and then specifically
equo install --ask ${SpecificKernelOr304Drivers}

Thanks for the tip...

--
Joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25

Código: Selecionar tudo
Well if it's not possible to specify the version of the nvidia drivers, then yeah, that does look easier than editing by hand.

IMPORTANT: Possible to specify the versions..... ex:

# equo  mask nvidia-drivers-310.51
# equo  mask nvidia-drivers-313.30

mask only the 310.51. and the 313.30.

I also have in mind that using the method (>=file-version) in the masks file, will works,but i not tried it
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby sabayonino » Mon Jun 24, 2013 19:36

albfneto wrote:
Código: Selecionar tudo

IMPORTANT: Possible to specify the versions..... ex:

# equo  mask nvidia-drivers-310.51
# equo  mask nvidia-drivers-313.30

mask only the 310.51. and the 313.30.

I also have in mind that using the method (>=file-version) in the masks file, will works,but i not tried it

to mask >="version" :
# equo mask ">x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.30"

313.30 vers isn't in entropy (304.xx skip to 319.xx)

but you can run
equo mask ">x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.30"
Password:
>>  ## [M] >x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.30
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.7.0-sabayon
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.8.0-sabayon
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.4.0-sabayon
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.8.0-server
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.7.0-server
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.6.0-sabayon
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.9.0-server
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.5.0-sabayon
>>     -> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.23#3.9.0-sabayon
>> Have a nice day.

see /etc/entropy/packages/package.mask
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Tue Jul 16, 2013 13:15

albfneto wrote:

I think this actually suffices:
equo mask nvidia-drivers nvidia-userspace

nvidia-settings and xorg is independent of the drivers and kernel upgrade don't happen automatically anymore.

albfneto wrote:mask only the 310.51. and the 313.30.

Are you sure this works? I think this will only work as long as there isn't a new driver version. Once something like 313.31 is in the repository, equo tries to update the driver again. At least that's what happened to me, if I recall it correctly.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers