Can rigo default to firefox to display notices with?[Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Can rigo default to firefox to display notices with?[Solved]

Postby joe3 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 19:26

I use chromium to access my facebook with. And since Facebook cookies are so durned sneaky at sharing my info with others behind my back, I never use chromium for anything else...

I also tend to start the gui package manager {curently rigo} via command line from a root shell...
This causes several error messages about not being able to start chromium as root before rigo finally opens the selected repository notice with firefox.

I'd like to eliminate the call to chromium because I really ONLY want it used to access facebook. AND because having to click on about three error pop-up dialogs everytime is anoying

How would I go about doing this?

--
Joe3
Last edited by joe3 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: Can rigo default to firefox to display notices with?

Postby lxnay » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:19

Set firefox as your default web browser.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby joe3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 21:15

lxnay wrote:Set firefox as your default web browser.

Did that... And on the theory that something reset that without asking I opened firefox and used the advanced preferences to again make firefox my default... But when I opened another rigo and selected to view a notice it happened again...

Wait a minute. since I tend to launch such things from a root shell's command line rather than hunt them down in the menu system, It's probably root that needs to set a the browser default... I don't normally run x as root, but maybe I should long enough to set root's default browser... If it works I'll mark thread solved...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby joe3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 22:58

Yeah, that worked, all I had to do was to open a firefox session as root and then use the preferences to set firefox as default...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: Can rigo default to firefox to display notices with?[Sol

Postby lxnay » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35

If you're using Rigo as root, you're doing it wrong btw.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Re: Can rigo default to firefox to display notices with?[Sol

Postby joe3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 17:54

lxnay wrote:If you're using Rigo as root, you're doing it wrong btw.

I don't doubt that. But At the moment I'm using my laptop's Sabayon installation.

But when I look in the E17 menu system, I can't find rigo...

If I type rigo at a non-root user bash prompt, it opens but it says {today} that there is 1 update. When I click show it says "Entropy 205" But if I click update, what I get is:

When I use the "everything launcher" (which I think depends on *.desktop files) to launch it, I get the same result as when I type rigo at a non-root bash prompt...

I note that on this Sabayon I have not yet set root's default browser to firefox. So it's interesting to note that when I try
Code: Select all
su -c rigo
from a non-root shell, And then selected to view a notice it wanted to use chromium then fell back to firefox.

And when I tried
Code: Select all
sudo rigo
it decided to open the notice with konqueror...
Which is better than using chromium, but doesn't match any of my default browser settings... go figure.

PS: I normally prefer equo's text based interface. But I never seem to be able to remember how to use the bash command line to view repo notices...So at least 90%
of the time, I only use rigo (or sulfur before it) to view them. or occasionally to browse for a package that I don't have a clue what it's name is...

When I upgrade {or even just install something} with equo I always use the --ask option...
So I was surprised when clicking the update next to a message that there was only 1 package initialized an upgrade of many packages... That is until suddenly:

Ill have to see if I can upgrade with equo...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers