Torrent distro files?

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Torrent distro files?

Postby geeksoldier » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25

Good evening.

So today, I was coding furiously in Python, and a thought popped into my head.

This thought comes from a brief conversation that Keshl and I had had in #sabayon on the 10th of March.

[Sunday, March 10, 2013] [132427] <Keshl> GeekSoldier: What if, we had a, a thingy. A thingy for Equo that could act as a torrent thing, and help seed/speed up updates and stuff?
[Sunday, March 10, 2013] [132429] <Keshl> o_o
[Sunday, March 10, 2013] [132436] <Keshl> Optional thing in client.conf, but a thing. o_o
[Sunday, March 10, 2013] [132459] <GeekSoldier> Ooh, that would be nifty!

Yeah, like I said... brief, but today I considered it more deeply. Would this even be worth implementing into Equo? A sort of community opt-in thing to distribute package files through bittorrent? I, personally, have not had many problems with download speeds (umd.edu is very nice to me), but I'm sure that there are people who may get better results from a p2p solution than from a single server.

Also, I cannot begin to claim that I know what kind of load is put on the issues, especially on Super Saturdays, or of the potential speed gains possible. I think that in the worst cases, it would help some of our community.

I'm just asking for your thoughts on this. I'd be willing to throw my hat in the ring to help develop some of the necessary code.

Regards,

GeekSoldier
geeksoldier
Baby Hen

Re: Torrent distro files?

Postby Stupot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:20

This has been talked about a number of times. Trust me when I say it's always being considered, but it typically never makes it as a top priority. Maybe someday it will be viewed as worth the effort.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49

geeksoldier wrote:A sort of community opt-in thing to distribute package files through bittorrent? I, personally, have not had many problems with download speeds (umd.edu is very nice to me), but I'm sure that there are people who may get better results from a p2p solution than from a single server.

You may want to subscribe to developer's mailing list.
Some recent posts:

For me, I prefer downloading via torrent over direct one.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby geeksoldier » Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:41

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad to see that this is being worked on. Also, I have just subscribed to the devel mailing list. It's nice to have a peek into the future direction of our beloved distro.

Regards,

GeekSoldier
geeksoldier
Baby Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions