rigo nuked my system! reverse dependency! [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

gowger
Young Hen

Re: rigo totally nuked my system! reverse dependency removal

Post by gowger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54

Matte88 wrote:I can't understand how a package manager could broke your system if the same tells you which packages will be removed (if there are deps) or blocks itself when recognize vital packages to be removed. Maybe I totally misunderstood the thread.
It didn't tell it clearly enough. The system was still bootable, albeit not graphically. Well, previous automated update has broken my bootloader config though. I still haven't got around to fixing it and have to enter the root path manually. It's rare because I keep the machine suspended most of the time.

It said safe to remove, but the subtext in the log, AFTER hitting the button then said removing 1040 packages.

Are you supposed to sit there reading the logs after you hit a button that tells you it's safe to hit? I use a package manager to manage the packages for me. That's why I use a gentoo and not a slackware.

Explosively recursive reverse dependencies never happened like this with portage , certainly not by default.

Having said that the time saved by using pre-optimised binaries while allowing me to tweek with portage on occasion is will mean I still love and will stick with Sabayon. It didn't take long to recover from this in the end.

Matte88
Technological Hen
Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Post by Matte88 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58

Fine, understood now.
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 13:08

gowger wrote:Are you supposed to sit there reading the logs after you hit a button that tells you it's safe to hit? I use a package manager to manage the packages for me. That's why I use a gentoo and not a slackware.
No, technically you're supposed to read which packages it wants to remove because it manages depenencies unlike Slackware does, if you remove a package that is critical for other 1040 packages to function properly, then those other packages are going to be removed as well to keep the system consistent.
The package manager has no notion of what is safe to remove and what is not, that is up to the user that knows what he/she wants. It does guarantee that no package critical for the system is going to be removed (it doesn't make it unbootable), unless you explicitly say to force their removal.
Portage doesn't do it because -C doesn't take into account reverse dependencies, having the obvious problem that it is possible to make your system inconsistent with that, --depclean does take them into account and is the recommended way to remove packages.

For the sake of testing I've tried to remove GTK with rigo, and I've been presented with a popup asking me if I accepted the removal of a series of packages, asking me if I wanted to see the full list and if I accepted it or not, taking a look to the full list was enough to make me notice I was going to remove my whole desktop environment.
If you got an idea to make this more clear, feature requests are always welcome. :)