Suggestions for change in Rigo

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Suggestions for change in Rigo

Postby Richlion » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42

Hello,

I would like to give some suggestions to the way Rigo works.
When I install SL the first thing I want to do is remove some packages I never use before I perform a full update. Rigo currently is rather annoying, it seems it only accepts "full update" the first time I launch it after the SL installation.
I have a limited broadband service and don't want to use my allowance, so I would first want to remove stuff I don't need even without being connected to the Internet.

Is it possible to add some basic options at the beginning when Rigo starts?

1) System update
2) Package maintenance (installation and removal)

This way I could control exactly when I want my system updated.

Thanks
Richlion
Technological Hen

Re: Suggestions for change in Rigo

Postby wolfden » Sat Feb 23, 2013 23:05

I guess I don't follow?

full update? it would not be wise to do a partial upgrade

Rigo can install and remove packages - would need to sync the repos first to maintain software which wouldn't take much bandwidth at all. Click the little gear icon in the upper right hand corner for options.

You certainly don't need to run a full upgrade, you can just install as you go along. Maybe take a look at the community frozen repo to save on upgrades.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Suggestions for change in Rigo

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51

Richlion, 'update' and 'upgrade' are two distinct things.

'update' refers to updating the local database on your machine so that it contains an up-to-date list of all the packages (including version numbers and other package details) available in the Entropy repository. Note that this does not constitute the packages themselves. Obviously keeping the list of packages up-to-date is essential.

'upgrade' refers to actually downloading and installing any new versions of packages currently installed on your machine, as well as removing (uninstalling) any packages dropped from the repository. So the thing that may require significant throughput would be an upgrade, not an update.

If you wanted to perform a full upgrade of your installation, you would do the following if you were using the command line:

Code: Select all
# equo update # Make sure your local database is up-to-date.
# equo upgrade # Download any new versions of packages already installed on your machine, and install them.
# equo conf update # Upgrade configuration files of newly-installed/upgraded packages, if they have changed.
# kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-<new version> # Optional. Only if you also want to upgrade the kernel image.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers