packages no longer in repo: how to avoid auto-removal?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

packages no longer in repo: how to avoid auto-removal?

Postby joe3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06

When I do an:
Code: Select all
equo update
equo upgrade
equo has for a long time wanted me to let it remove emprint, which I use, a lot. I'd have to be sleeping at the switch not to remember to only let the removal of packages no longer found in the repo only on a selective basis.

I tried masking emprint, but while that would stop an upgrade, it doesn't stop it from appearing in the list of packages equo wants to discard... Today I was so tired I could barely see straight when the upgrade reached the point where it asked me. I was careful to make sure I didn't let it trash my emprint. But I almost missed the fact that this time another package I actually use made the removal list. I had actually typed the y and was reaching for the enter key when I realized the package involved was synapse, which I use even more often than I use emprint.

It wouldn't be bad if I could still get the package, but since it's no longer in the repo...

Is there a way to prevent selected packages from being suggested for automatic removal???

I just know that someday I'll be sleeping at the switch... sigh!
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: packages no longer in repo: how to avoid auto-removal?

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Feb 01, 2013 16:34

Fill a package request or install it from portage (be careful!) meanwhile. You can do that similar to here.
And if you're just registered in bugzilla, you could fill a feature request for Equo (Entropy > Equo), too.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 20:38

Ryuno-Ki wrote:Fill a package request or install it from portage (be careful!)

I have a feeling that the OP is looking for a way of masking certain packages from the process of removal. I have the same problem. Each time I upgrade I'm asked if I want to remove picasa - which I use on a daily basis. Like the OP I added it to package mask but that doesn't stop entropy from asking to remove it. This is one of the reasons I always use --ask when I'm upgrading. It adds an extra layer of asking.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Sat Feb 02, 2013 16:52

They are suggested to be removed, bu not are autoremoved. At least in my installed Sabayons
In the equo conf update command, choose the option 2, not remove
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 17:57

Thanks albfneto but I think you will find that we know they are not automatically removed and it is a suggestion only. We know what to do and what not to do and the OP is worried that he may choose the wrong number when he is tired. It's a bit of a pain to have to say no to the same package every week and even more so if it's amongst a bunch of other packages. By the way - it happens on upgrade and not equo conf update. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby joe3 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:40

Yess dunsurfin has captured my exact concern. It's not uncommon for there to be a list of packages. I have two Sabayon installations. I lost emprint on one of them just that way. I had to rewrite my screen capture scripts to use import from the ImageMagick suite, for it, but it doesn't do as good a job of capturing images of open multi-level menus...

I use E17 Which comes with an everything launcher, which I use. But I also set a keybinding to synapse, which works somewhat differently. And is available when for nostelegic reasons I boot into e16. And unlike the everything launcher would still be available if I chose to use xfce or icewm or...

I don't know why it's not in the repo anymore. But I do know that if a bleary eyed typo cost me it forever I'd be beside myself with bad vibrations... It wouldn't be nearly as bad if the offer to remove it came at the beginning of the upgrade process, Like maybe right after the dependency calculation, and before I've been awake too long waiting for the upgrade to finish processing. But I imagine that behavior would annoy way to many users to be worth thinking about... But a file something like package.mask {perhaps called package.keep?} that would cause entropy to either not suggest it's removal, or to list it seperately as a package that needs to be manually removed from {package.keep?} before it can be removed, would be a wonderful thing...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Feb 04, 2013 0:02

Ryuno-Ki wrote:Fill a package request or install it from portage (be careful!) meanwhile. You can do that similar to here.
And if you're just registered in bugzilla, you could fill a feature request for Equo (Entropy > Equo), too.

You want it? Demand it!

This way, lxnay added some nice features to equo back then.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10

dunsurfin wrote:
Ryuno-Ki wrote:Fill a package request or install it from portage (be careful!)

I have a feeling that the OP is looking for a way of masking certain packages from the process of removal. I have the same problem. Each time I upgrade I'm asked if I want to remove picasa - which I use on a daily basis. Like the OP I added it to package mask but that doesn't stop entropy from asking to remove it. This is one of the reasons I always use --ask when I'm upgrading. It adds an extra layer of asking.

I find this odd as picasa is in entropy. http://packages.sabayon.org/quicksearch ... sa&x=0&y=0
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:40

wolfden wrote:I find this odd as picasa is in entropy. http://packages.sabayon.org/quicksearch ... sa&x=0&y=0

Would this be because they are AMD64 and the two machines that want to remove it are x86? Rigo finds nothing. My AMD64 machine has the windows version installed with my system wine (experimental).

Edit; I just tried the link and selected x86 and it confirms that there is nothing there - but I was thanked for the fish. :)

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56

ahhhh x86, hmmmmm. I don't have x86 setup, all 64 bit here.

Dunno what the deal is with that as there appears to be one available in portage for x86. Try to file a package request for x86. I talked with Enlik and a quick look shows it shouldn't be a problem. Request the package so they can look into it.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers