not bootable after upgrade

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

gowger
Young Hen

not bootable after upgrade

Post by gowger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14

Hi all,

I'm afraid the last update on a server I run has made it not able to run init scripts after "Booting (initramfs)". The kernel was upgraded to 3.5.0 at the time the damage was done, I've since upgraded to 3.6.0 from a livecd but it wasn't repaired by that.

It's an LVM JBOD setup with a non lvm boot partition. I pursued grub issues for a while and managed to remove some file not found errors. I get an mdadm error saying missing arrays but I never set up anyway.

In rescue mode the system gets as far as starting init scripts and then returns the error cannot execute /etc/init.d/rcS
enter root password for maintenance. None of the init sripts have run, no network or anything.

From a live Cd I've removed some old kernels and reinstalled openrc and udev for the hell of it to no avail.

From the live cd I chrooted with the boot partition mounted in the right place before any kernel or grub changes.

fsck was clean on the volumes

Lost for options right now, any ideas?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: not bootable after upgrade

Post by wolfden » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07

sounds like maybe an issue with bash

See if you can find any help with:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-88 ... art-0.html

gowger
Young Hen

Re: not bootable after upgrade

Post by gowger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:30

Hi Wolfden,

Thanks for the reply. I read that thread and tried reinstalling bash and coreutils but nothing changes. when I enter root password for maintenance then bash runs the shell anyway. when I try and run any init scripts after that then for any of them it says warning [service] is already starting.

I found another strange thing , when I run df -h then the home volume is listed twice with the same size as the root partition which it is not, although it is listed with a different /dev/mapper path and when I try to unmount it then the system tells me it's not mounted!

I also tried turning up the logging in the lvm config and it didn't make any difference to syslog or write anything to the log file that I set.

Any idea why the root volume is being mounted read only?