Rigo [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Rigo [Solved]

Postby B3rtm3n » Mon Nov 19, 2012 18:06

I have a question concerning Rigo.

I have used it only once as I usually use terminal for updates/upgrades but I am not sure but is it possible Rigo also installs kernel updates. It almost seemed like Rigo installed a kernel update but I am not sure if I did it with terminal.

Does Rigo contain an automated kernel switcher?
Last edited by B3rtm3n on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:40, edited 1 time in total.
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Re: Rigo

Postby sabayonino » Mon Nov 19, 2012 18:09

B3rtm3n wrote:I have a question concerning Rigo.

I have used it only once as I usually use terminal for updates/upgrades but I am not sure but is it possible Rigo also installs kernel updates. It almost seemed like Rigo installed a kernel update but I am not sure if I did it with terminal.

Does Rigo contain an automated kernel switcher?

no it doesn't.

This kernel update has only new revision not version upgrade. The kernel is the same.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby B3rtm3n » Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:21

Ok, thanks for the reply

Is kernel switcher ever going to be integrated into the package manager as it is f.ex. with other ditros like Ubuntu etc.
It is, in my humble opinion, the only weakness Sabayon has. It is hard to explain to newbies and my father who likes Linux finds it to hard to understand (the reason I installed a dualboot Kubuntu/Sabayon) and he uses Kubuntu and sometimes Sabayon and I install the upgrades for him whenever I pass by for Sabayon.
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:40

I am sure that it will have a GUI at some point, but the fact of the matter is, upgrading kernels is optional. I know most people want everything upgraded all the time to always have the latest and greatest, but for inexperienced people, keeping them away from complicated upgrades is probably a good thing. Things like the kernel-switcher make switching kernels easier, but it's still not perfectly intuitive to figure out what to do.

But, just doing all the application updates and not doing the kernel updates should be just fine for the vast majority of people.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers