Lots of missing program icons and shortcuts

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

jasohall
Baby Hen

Lots of missing program icons and shortcuts

Post by jasohall » Fri Apr 27, 2012 18:05

I've used Sabayon off and on for years, and this is still one of my largest complaints about desktop usability, WHERE ARE MY ICONS AND SHORTCUTS?!?!?!? Every other distribution I use installs a shortcut for every app with a GUI and it's usually the same set of shortcuts in each distribution. Half the time I go to install a new program in Sabayon whether it's Entropy, Sulfur, or Rigo there's no icon and I have to start the program from the command line or make my own shortcuts. I use gnome and lxde, and it's the same problem in both WM. Please stop the madness!!

What is the preferred method we should follow if a program we install does not have proper shortcuts/icons included? I currently see a couple of instances on the bugzilla which aren't being answered and don't want to waste anyone's time for such a simple yet widespread problem.

A few examples:
wine (no shortcuts to winecfg or the program folder structure)
truecrypt (no shortcut)
teamviewer (shortcut included but no icon)
generator (no shortcut, can't even figure out how to start this one from the command line and frankly lost interest)
Thunderbird (interesting issue here, the shortcut and icon are fine, the program icon in the menu bar has a default icon instead of the regular thunderbird icon. The OCD in me is annoyed)

I really want to use sabayon on everything I can find, and this is one of the issues stopping me because it takes more time than I care to have to keep creating shortcuts for new programs I install. Thank you.

P.S. If there's anyway I can help fix this let me know too... it seriously can't be that hard to fix.

jasohall
Baby Hen

Re: Lots of missing program icons and shortcuts

Post by jasohall » Mon Apr 30, 2012 14:11

No one? Am I the only one who is driven to utter madness by the lack of proper program shortcuts on many of Sabayon's programs? Last night I reformatted my linux partition and installed Sabayon 8 KDE amd64. The installer mentioned Xonotic, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Guess what? NO SHORTCUT!!! Googled xonotic and inspected my program package. Tried the command line with xonotic, xonotic-glx, xonotic-sdk etc... searched the program dirs... then my internet went down and I lost interest.

It shouldn't be frustrating just to play a game people.

PS. Could someone please explain if this is a gentoo problem or a sabayon one? Really don't want to put much effort towards this if I'm not able to fix it.

cl00t
Growing Hen

Post by cl00t » Mon Apr 30, 2012 17:43

I use kde & have never had this problem in sabayon, sorry. The only application which didn't appear immediately after installation was virtualbox, but after a few days I saw it in the menu, I don;t know how long it took to get there :D

jasohall
Baby Hen

Post by jasohall » Mon Apr 30, 2012 17:50

Yeah I didn't see the shortcut for virtualbox until I loaded all the modules and followed the information in the wiki. Then it appeared. Is this maybe a 64 bit problem and not a 32 bit problem? Just trying to understand.

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Tue May 01, 2012 15:33

Try these commands in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo equo update
sudo equo install pango gdk-pixbuf
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

Jomiel
Growing Hen

Post by Jomiel » Tue May 01, 2012 16:04

Also, to play games, you need to be in the games group, as entropy has told you (in the terminal output). Type as root:

# gpasswd -a yourUserName games
and it will be shown in your menu.

cheers
Jomiel

Provia
Advanced Hen

Post by Provia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01

Hi guys,
i have noticed that other programs have no icons too. I have the games menu enabled in kickoff, but it's empty. I have installed playonlinux but i can see the icon only typing the name in app launcher. The same problem with kamera wich is a default installed package and it has no icon in kde. I think this is not a minor problem for a new user.
Why those icons are not insered correctly in kickoff?
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 18:32

^What you are seeing is not normal, so something is messed up on your specific installation. Have you tried the following command under you own user account?

kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
Gentoo KDE 4.4 - 4.6 Upgrade Guide wrote:
Rebuilding the application database

If your KMenu lacks any application or the whole application list, you probably need to rebuild the KDE configuration cache. It is also a possible fix for any KMenu related issues, like missing icons. Run the following command with the user account having problems:

Code Listing 4.1: kbuildsycoca command

$ kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

ElectricPrism
Young Hen

Post by ElectricPrism » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51

jasohall wrote:...Where are my icons and shortcuts?
In Gnome 3, your Application Launchers can be located in one of these three folders:

User:
~/.local/share/applications/ (directory may need to be created)

System:
/usr/share/applications

System Local:
/usr/local/share/applications

Gnome 3 also has a menu editor you can install named Alacarte which allows you to add launchers to your Menu's Search

$> sudo equo install alacarte
If you find spelling out programs like alacarte, nautilus, etc... difficult because of their spelling you can easily create symlinks in the /usr/bin/ folder to accommodate to you better at the Alt-F2 Run Dialog.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nautilus /usr/bin/files
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-session-properties /usr/bin/startup-applications
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/alacarte /usr/bin/menu-editor

...etc
If you find yourself frustrated and needing with help because of a OS design difference you should learn that IRC is your new best friend. If you login to irc.freenode.net/#sabayon you're likely to get a quick answer to novice questions, also if you can't find answers on the official channel, go ask around in #unbutu #linuxmint #debian #gentoo ...etc because a lot of the core stuff is quite universal overall.

You'll find that Linux is one of those things that's hard to learn, but once you start getting a couple of problems and questions solved and under your belt, you realize it's superior to alternative operating systems in many ways, but it's definately fast to get customized as easy as powering on an android or ipad and you're ready to roll.

Linux is one of those things that's hard to learn but rewarding once you start solving your questions and getting them under your belt.