Gnome 3.4 updates screwing up KDE...again!!!

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

cmost
Advanced Hen

Gnome 3.4 updates screwing up KDE...again!!!

Post by cmost » Sat Apr 21, 2012 21:37

Why is it that everytime the god awful mistake that's Gnome 3.x is updated, it wreaks havoc on KDE? I installed about 90 updates this morning and after I rebooted I had the following problems:

* a malfunctioning network manager (had to issue /etc/init.d/net.eth2 restart to get networking going,)
* my GTK fonts (Firefox file menus) are humongous!
* I have non-stop disk activity on my 2 TB data drive;
* in Konsole, instead of [email protected] it now says [email protected]
* Window titles were all screwed up in Emerald; window buttons were fuzzy and flickered

I disabled the Limbo repository and reverted some (but not all) of the updates and now I still have a few issues remaining:

* my GTK fonts (Firefox file menus) are humongous!
* I have non-stop disk activity on my 2 TB data drive;
* in Konsole, instead of [email protected] it now says [email protected]

Any ideas guys? Also, does Sabayon have any plans to offer MATE instead of this unholy mess? Thanks!
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

mélodie
Simple Hen

Re: Gnome 3.4 updates screwing up KDE...again!!!

Post by mélodie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:50

cmost wrote:Why is it that everytime the god awful mistake that's Gnome 3.x is updated, it wreaks havoc on KDE? I installed about 90 updates this morning and after I rebooted I had the following problems:

<snip!>

I disabled the Limbo repository and reverted some (but not all) of the updates and now I still have a few issues remaining:

<snip!>

Any ideas guys? Also, does Sabayon have any plans to offer MATE instead of this unholy mess? Thanks!
Hello,
I just got out of the baby hen stage, but, I would say if you use Limbo = testing, you should expect a few problems can happen after updates ? I hope this will not get you upset...

I have a question : do you have a parallel install with the sabayon.weekly repository only enabled, to compare if the trouble comes there too after updating in a KDE desktop ?

cmost
Advanced Hen

Post by cmost » Sun Apr 22, 2012 14:46

@ melodie

No offense taken. I understand the risks of Limbo, however, even when reverting to stable some of these problems remained. I don't have a dual installation with weekly to screen updates but that's not a bad idea. It seems like a lot of work, but not a bad idea. Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a wipe and re-install. It's been almost 3 years since the last time. :D
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

mélodie
Simple Hen

Post by mélodie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 15:01

cmost wrote:It's been almost 3 years since the last time. :D
Wao ! This is almost as long as a LTS at Ubuntu ! But with fresher programs of course. :mrgreen:

oboedad55
Baby Hen

Post by oboedad55 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:06

mélodie wrote:
Wao ! This is almost as long as a LTS at Ubuntu ! But with fresher programs of course. :mrgreen:
Sabayon is a rolling release, so once it's installed, updated and always kept that way it stays current. Sabayon operates similarly to Arch in that the releases are more like snapshots. With Arch the last "release" is August of last year, but if you do a net install you have a fully up-to-date system. :|
Registered Linux user #436067
-----------------------------------
Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing.

mélodie
Simple Hen

Post by mélodie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:58

oboedad55 wrote:
mélodie wrote:
Sabayon is a rolling release, so once it's installed, updated and always kept that way it stays current. Sabayon operates similarly to Arch in that the releases are more like snapshots. With Arch the last "release" is August of last year, but if you do a net install you have a fully up-to-date system. :|
Yes I know, I have started using Archlinux since jan 2006 and used as main distro during 3 years. I am starting to try Sabayon for the same reason, because it is one of the rare rolling release model distro. I will also be looking forward to see it become "user friendly", so to put it on my friend's and relation's machines. ;-)

B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Post by B3rtm3n » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02

I used Arch for a very short period, I like to go for user friendly allthough I was fond of FreeBSD but since it is using a Linux layer based on Fedora in order to use software written for Linux as FreeBSD almost has no software on it's own it made no sense staying with FreeBSD and Gentoo is a kinda Linux version of FreeBSD and Sabayon is the user friendly version of Gentoo.
I used PCBSD, a userfriendely version of FreeBSD, as well which is quiet nice.

However Arch has some security issues in my opinion when a discovered a user leaving Arch and explaining why.
I found some articles about it. It does not use secure package signing.
http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2011/02/ ... so-secret/
and Archs reply to the story
http://www.toofishes.net/blog/real-stor ... e-signing/

There is Chakra Linux which is Arch based and user friendly but it does not follows the rolling like Arch does and the installer is a pain and makes the Grub to fail when having several partitions. I did not manage it to get it working in Multiboot.

Frankly I do not understand why someone wants something other then KDE, especially since latest version of Gnome and Unity Interface are extremely crappy. There are a number of nice distro's with amended LXDE and Xfce but they do not come close to KDE.

Userfriendly means to me also being ablse to install restricted software easily, most Ubuntu based distro's are doing well on this and there are a several with a very slick design. Maybe interesting using LTS as maybe it will become 5 years support instead of 3. Ubuntu, like Debian offers Backports which is also interesting and makes the operating system stable but the software rolling
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBackports

OpenSuse is working on a rolling distro as well, the project is called Tumbleweed. This is a repo you have to enable but getting there is far from userfriendly like Sabayon is. Beside that OpenSuse is the only distro with so many options in their installer and Yast System Settings once installed.

I tried everything and right now I have decided the go for rolling distro's only provided they are userfriendly and this makes OpenSuse Tumbleweed and Sabayon the onces left over and right now Sabayon has the edge over OpenSuse Tumbleweed.

MaxA
Baby Hen

Post by MaxA » Mon Apr 23, 2012 19:42

reinstallation of "x11-libs/pango" fixed the font issue for me.

cmost
Advanced Hen

Post by cmost » Sat May 05, 2012 17:43

Moving to Linux Mint Debian Edition with Cinnamon fixed the issue for me! :-P
8192 MB DDR2 RAM

ancient mariner
Simple Hen

Post by ancient mariner » Sun May 06, 2012 23:19

I've been seeing issues with sulfur only starting from terminal, and, most recently, icons missing from Firefox, Thunderbird and then Audacity crashing on start up. Reinstalling Pango didn't fix it. I've re-installed 3 times since the beginning of the year, and have concluded I'm probably not up to maintaining a Sabayon system, so I'm trying Comice OS4 for a bit.