Sulfur not running [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Sulfur not running [Solved]

Postby Ramiliez » Sun May 15, 2011 12:16

Greetings

I run Sulfur after typing in password and it does nothing

P.S.im newbie/n00b
Last edited by Ramiliez on Tue May 17, 2011 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sabayon 9 x64 KDE
Ramiliez
Simple Hen

Re: Sulfur not running after equo install entropy sulfur

Postby genfool » Sun May 15, 2011 14:43

now finish the update. run

equo upgrade

The new sulfur will need a newer version of python to work, you will need to complete the update in the terminal.

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... t_to_do.3F
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby Ramiliez » Sun May 15, 2011 15:29

Unfortunately now i have bigger problem after boot i cant see logging screen only thing i can see is blank screen with _ letter at upper left corner

1. should i reinstall Sabayon ?
2. is automated installation possible ?
3. HW info MSI laptop CX620
CPU: I3-330M
GPU: ATI HD 5470
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Sabayon 9 x64 KDE
Ramiliez
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Sun May 15, 2011 19:08

When you get to that point, try pressing alt+ctrl+f1 to drop down into a terminal. From there, finish your upgrading and then reboot.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby nomad » Sun May 15, 2011 19:14

Ramiliez wrote:Unfortunately now i have bigger problem after boot i cant see logging screen only thing i can see is blank screen with _ letter at upper left corner

1. should i reinstall Sabayon ?
2. is automated installation possible ?
3. HW info MSI laptop CX620
CPU: I3-330M
GPU: ATI HD 5470
RAM: 4GB DDR3

Yes. As far as my experience with Linux goes, from the many distros to the days of SL 3x to now, very rarely have I any positive experience with updating the entire installation. Currently am running SL5.4 on my desktop and made a mistake of updating the entire install. Now as a logged in user, xscreensaver would make my logged in status unstable, sometimes I could go for days with no problems, other times once the screensaver start it would log me out and I would have to log back in again. Magneto would crash shortly after log in. On my Dell E1705 laptop running 5.5 for a few weeks, I was forced to update while trying to install kate, a text editor. After the update, the entire install broke with no X server after reboot. I performed multiple reinstalls and after many forced updates the installs were never stable. Something happened after 5.2 and I do not know what. There looks to be a lot of problems after updates.
nomad
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 15, 2011 20:05

It must depend on what hardware one has, nomad, because I have not had trouble upgrading the two machines on which I use Entropy (one of which uses the open-source ATI Radeon video driver, the other of which uses one of the closed-source NVIDIA drivers). Luck of the draw, perhaps.

Ramiliez, before you do anything else, please read through the article to which genfool linked, and then the following article: How-to upgrade kernel with Entropy. You may need to study those two articles a few times to try to understand some of the concepts of what I'm about to tell you to do.

Then try pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or Ctrl-Alt-F2, or Ctrl-Alt-F3 etc. up to Ctrl-Alt-F6) to get to a console (a.k.a. 'virtual terminal'). If you are lucky and can get to a console that has a login prompt, log in as the root user and carry out the following steps:

Code: Select all
equo update --force
equo upgrade
equo conf update
eselect kernel set linux-2.6.38-sabayon
eselect opengl set ati

N.B. If you are not sure what video driver you are using, use the following command to find out:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Driver

If you see:

Driver      "fglrx"

you are using the closed-source FGLRX driver. If you see:

Driver      "ati"

then you are using an open-source ATI driver. As your machine has an ATI GPU, if it is using an open-source driver it would have to be either the Radeon driver:

Driver      "ati"

or the VESA driver:

Driver      "vesa"

N.B. If xorg.conf refers to an open-source driver then you would have to link to the open-source OpenGL libraries:

eselect opengl set xorg-x11

instead of the closed-source OpenGL libraries.

Then use the following command to list the kernel-specific packages that need upgrading:

equo query installed 2.6.37-sabayon | grep '#'

(I have written "2.6.37" above because that is the version of the kernel that is installed by the KDE and GNOME SL 5.5 LiveDVDs.)

Check if the latest kernel image package (sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.38-r6) was downloaded:

equo search linux-sabayon

If it wasn't, download it and link to (activate) it:

equo install linux-sabayon-2.6.38-r6
eselect kernel set linux-2.6.38-sabayon

Then install the equivalent kernel-specific packages for the latest 2.6.38 Sabayon kernel image:

equo install --ask huey-1.2.3#2.6.38-sabayon dewey-5.6.7#2.6.38-sabayon louie-8.9.0#2.6.38-sabayon

(I'm just using the fictitious package names "huey", "dewey" and "louie". Use the package names returned by the command equo query installed 2.6.37-sabayon | grep '#' that I mentioned earlier).

Then reboot.

If you are lucky, X Windows will be able to load. If you are unlucky (i.e. the closed-source FGLRX driver does not work well with your GPU) then you will need to repeat the exercise above but try either the open-source Radeon driver or the open-source VESA driver. In that case you would need to make sure that a) xorg.conf refers to the relevant driver as I explained above; b) that the open-source OpenGL libraries are linked (eselect opengl set xorg-x11); c) that the relevant driver is installed (xf86-video-ati is the open-source Radeon driver, xf86-video-vesa is the open-source VESA driver).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby nomad » Sun May 15, 2011 21:44

Fitzcarraldo wrote:It must depend on what hardware one has, nomad, because I have not had trouble upgrading the two machines on which I use Entropy (one of which uses the open-source ATI Radeon video driver, the other of which uses one of the closed-source NVIDIA drivers). Luck of the draw, perhaps.

If you are lucky, X Windows will be able to load. If you are unlucky (i.e. the closed-source FGLRX driver does not work well with your GPU) then you will need to repeat the exercise above but try either the open-source Radeon driver or the open-source VESA driver. In that case you would need to make sure that a) xorg.conf refers to the relevant driver as I explained above; b) that the open-source OpenGL libraries are linked (eselect opengl set xorg-x11); c) that the relevant driver is installed (xf86-video-ati is the open-source Radeon driver, xf86-video-vesa is the open-source VESA driver).

I hate to say it, but as much as I am a Linux advocate and long time user, at work and at home, dependency on fortune is the reason why Linux perhaps will never catch on to the average users. I will be rebuilding my desktop box with some newer, but not newest, hardware soon, with motherboard which is still socket 775 Dual Core and an SSD as a boot drive, and will see if fortune will smile upon this new box.

My question is still why is it that I must update the entire OS installation when all I want is to install an application. My Dell E1705 laptop has been dual booting WXP with SL since the 3x days. It is only with the latest 5.5 that I was forced to update the entire OS before I can install something as simple as a text editor.
nomad
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 16, 2011 7:42

nomad, the 'luck' thing is applicable to any OS. For example, when I bought a tower PC with Vista, the DVD drive stopped working when I upgraded Vista to Service Pack 1. I had to use Google to find a fix and edit the Registry to get it working again. Another example: When I ran Backup & Restore in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, it crashed my PC and I ended up having to run CHKDSK from the Windows 7 Recovery DVD in order to get Windows 7 running again. So it's always luck of the draw with software.

nomad, you don't normally have to update the entire installation if you just want to install one package. The reason for the major pull this time is probably because the Python version has changed from 2.6 to 2.7. Many packages use Python, so that's probably why. However, usually, only the package and any libraries on which the package depends and that have changed have to be upgraded. If there are any other packages that depend on those libraries then they would need to be upgraded too. Linux tends to have more dependencies than Windows, as Linux tends to push more functionality into shared libraries than Windows does. This is why there tends to be more packages to upgrade in Linux. But more often than not, when one installs or upgrades one package only, only that package needs to be downloaded and installed.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Ramiliez » Mon May 16, 2011 13:18

Fitzcarraldo thanks for your professional advice now my laptop is working again but i still have my original problem

i did this ...
1-
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy#Fresh_Install_-_What_to_do.3F
Using Entropy to upgrade all installed

2- equo deptest && equo libtest
3- typed sulfur in terminal...

[email protected] ~ $ sulfur
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::exec: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 293 ]  Running "/bin/su"
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "Password: "
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 17956
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::PtyProcess::WaitSlave: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/process.cpp : 379 ]  Child pid 17962
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line ""
kdesu(17949)/kdesu (kdelibs) KDESu::SuProcess::ConverseSU: [ /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/kdelibs-4.6.3-r1/work/kdelibs-4.6.3/kdesu/su.cpp : 259 ]  Read line "kdesu_stub"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/entropy/sulfur/sulfur_client.py", line 18, in <module>
    import gtk
ImportError: No module named gtk

after entering password sulfur doesnt start no error message

nomad i had to download 4GB of updates after installation it took several hours to finish i think that is biggest problem when you have limited bandwidth..
and potential lifesaver delta packages are disabled by default...
Sabayon 9 x64 KDE
Ramiliez
Simple Hen

Re: Sulfur not running [Solved]

Postby Ramiliez » Tue May 17, 2011 20:42

As root:

nano /root/pkg-config.sh

#!/bin/sh
if pkg-config "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
res=true
else
res=false
fi
pkg-config "$@" | tr -d \\r && $res

Ater that, chmod +x /root/pkg-config.sh

echo "PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/root/pkg-config.sh" >> /etc/make.conf

equo update && equo install --deep entropy equo sulfur gtk+ && equo upgrade && equo conf update && equo deptest && equo libtest

maybe this will do
Sabayon 9 x64 KDE
Ramiliez
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers