No X after update

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

No X after update

Postby nomad » Sun May 08, 2011 17:20

On my Dell E1705 laptop...Twice now after an update because I wanted to install an application, such as kate, after the reboot, there is no X. The first time was with using 'equo'. The second time was with Sulfur. Both times the system update was forced, meaning I had to do the update along with the application. Both times it took hours because everything was updated. Both times I had to reinstall 5.5 all over to have a functional laptop again. Am posting this while on my third forced update through Sulfur. Will see if X will start after the reboot.
nomad
Simple Hen

Re: No X after update

Postby Thev00d00 » Sun May 08, 2011 19:34

If you could post some details about your hardware that would be great.

And some log files if you have them.

I would also read and follow this, *after* you have updated, but *before* you reboot.

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... l_Switcher
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby nomad » Mon May 09, 2011 7:38

Thev00d00 wrote:If you could post some details about your hardware that would be great.

It is a Dell 1705 laptop. Duo Core with 2gb RAM, and a Crucial 64gb SSD dual booting WXP.

Thev00d00 wrote:And some log files if you have them.

Which would be helpful?

Thev00d00 wrote:I would also read and follow this, *after* you have updated, but *before* you reboot.

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... l_Switcher

Not sure if switching kernel is applicable. Am not trying to change kernels. If the updating process give me a new kernel, I will use the new one.I only want a functional laptop. Is there a way to just install an application without updating the entire system and breaking an install? I have never had this problem since SL 3x. But since 5.4 I have never had an uneventful update. Something always break. My hardware is not the latest since am not a gamer, but neither am I in the Pentium 4 days. Anyway...After reboot, the graphical desktop successfully loaded but now I have no taskbar. No way to access menu. Right-clicking produces nothing. Yakuake started fine and that is the only way I can reboot or start Firefox to post this reply. Wireless does not work, but then again, I have never have high hopes for wireless in Linux.

Something is broken after 5.2
nomad
Simple Hen

Postby joost » Mon May 09, 2011 7:45

Perhaps stop using KDE if you need something that works.
:D

Anyway you should perform a full system upgrade.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby nomad » Mon May 09, 2011 8:18

joost wrote:Perhaps stop using KDE if you need something that works.
:D

But that would defeat 'just works', no?

joost wrote:Anyway you should perform a full system upgrade.

But that is what I am forced to do when all I want is to install an application. Anyway...I just completed a fourth reinstall on this laptop. Good thing I have an SSD to make these reinstall quick. All I want to add on this laptop are: gwenview, kate, gimp, and perl ptkdb. See how far I get this time. Hopefully, I will not have to do so many reinstall that I will reach the NAND write cycle limit.

Here is what I get after: equo install kate

>> @@ Packages needing to be installed/updated/downgraded: 355
>> @@ Packages needing to be removed: 20
>> @@ Packages needing to be installed: 74
>> @@ Packages needing to be reinstalled: 0
>> @@ Packages needing to be updated: 281
>> @@ Packages needing to be downgraded: 0
>> @@ Download size: 1028.6MB
>> @@ Used disk space: 989.9MB
>> @@ You need at least: 3047.2MB of free space

So this process will take hours with no guarantee that I will have a working install.
nomad
Simple Hen

Postby nomad » Tue May 10, 2011 23:16

Looks like update definitely broke the fourth re-install as well. Rebooted after installation of gwenview and evince, the taskbar is nowhere. I wonder if 5.5 is going to be as broken on my desktop as it is on the laptop.
nomad
Simple Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers