Updates March 24

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Updates March 24

Postby timothyRlamora » Sat Mar 26, 2011 18:59

I beleieve it could be with the kernel- I have a nvidia geforce 6200 installed with kernel 2.6.38 and nvidia 260.19.29 # 2.6.38 and knock on wood it works!!!
timothyRlamora
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 20:40

OK, the re-download of the KDE 4.6.1 packages finished. I rebooted and am back with a KDE desktop. I didn't re-install the 2.6.38-r1-sabayon kernel so I reckon the KDE stuff must have been rebuilt last night and fixed the problem. So I would not have needed to wipe my HDD and re-install SL. Oh, well, I'll regard it as spring cleaning of my nettop. At least I cleared out some old files.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 21:55

Hehe... Spoke too soon. I was adding a Plasma widget to the Panel, and it froze. Rebooted from VT1 and... Plasma Desktop is segfaulting again. Arggghhhh!!!! KDE. :roll: Back on Fluxbox for the time being. :)

EDIT: Just re-downloaded sabayon-sources-2.6.38-r1 and am installing nvidia-drivers-260.19.36 via Portage as that version is not in the Entropy Production Repository yet. That way they (kernel and driver) should be matched. Then I'll delete ~/.kde4/ again and have another go at getting KDE 4.6.1 running.

EDIT2: Nope, no joy. If Fluxbox works fine, and apps such as XBMC and VLC play all my videos nicely under Fluxbox, it seems unlikely to be a video driver problem.

EDIT3: Filed a bug report: 2289.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby timothyRlamora » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:57

Any luck yet getting kde 4.5.1 up and running yet???
timothyRlamora
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:26

KDE 4.6.1. Yup, cracked it eventually (the bug report documents the saga). I had been unloading some IR modules (that are not required for my media centre remote) by putting rmmod commands in /etc/conf.d/local. The normal way would be to blacklist them by adding an entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and running update-modules, but that does not work for these modules. I commented out the rmmod commands in /etc/conf.d/local and was then able to log-in to KDE. Why this was problematic with KDE but not Fluxbox I do not know. If I don't find a userspace way of unloading the modules automatically then I'll have to rebuild the kernel to disable them.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers