Entropy Starts and Then Shuts Down

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Entropy Starts and Then Shuts Down

Postby chris_debian » Tue Mar 15, 2011 20:48

Hi, all!

The update manager (Magneto) tells me that I have updates available. When I right-click to launch the package manager, Entropy Store appears on screen for long enough for me to briefly see it, and then disappears, again. This has been happening since I tried to maximise the Entropy window, so that I could read the full package descriptions. I tried to see whether I could start Entropy from a terminal but couldn't get the syntax correct (I saw entropy.sh).

Without this, I'm unsure how to keep my box up to date (emerge --sync ?).

Hopefully someone else may have seen this problem and know how to overcome it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.
chris_debian
Simple Hen

Re: Entropy Starts and Then Shuts Down

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 22:27

Don't use emerge --sync to update if you're going to use "Entropy Store" as that is the command to update your portage tree and it's not recommended to mix the two unless you are very sure of what you're doing.
It sounds as though there may a problem with your entropy installation so use these commands as root;

Code: Select all
equo install entropy --relaxed

equo upgrade --ask

If you are still having problems it will help if you can give a lot more information such as version of Sabayon, entropy version, error messages and logs (try looking at /var/logs/entropy/)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:49

equo and sulfur are the clients to entropy, so to start the GUI, you type sulfur in the terminal

running emerge --sync will not cause problems, it has nothing to do with entropy. emerge --sync && layman -S should be run frequently even, incase you ever need to fall back onto portage or our overlay for rescue.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:50

wolfden wrote:emerge --sync && layman -S should be run frequently even, incase you ever need to fall back onto portage or our overlay for rescue.

With the caveat that you must normally ignore any message from emerge --sync telling you that a new version of the portage package is available and that you should install it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby chris_debian » Wed Mar 16, 2011 14:28

dunsurfin wrote:Don't use emerge --sync to update if you're going to use "Entropy Store" as that is the command to update your portage tree and it's not recommended to mix the two unless you are very sure of what you're doing.
It sounds as though there may a problem with your entropy installation so use these commands as root;

equo upgrade --ask

If you are still having problems it will help if you can give a lot more information such as version of Sabayon, entropy version, error messages and logs (try looking at /var/logs/entropy/)

Re-installed, but apparently that didn't fix the problem. That will teach me not to try to maximise the Entropy Store window, as it was fine before that. I'll do an upgrade from the terminal, as you direct and have a re-think; next step is:
emerge --sync && layman -S

I think.

Thanks,

Chris
chris_debian
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 16:33

Have you looked at .xsession-errors to see if there is a fault logged there?

These are good places to read:

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... ge_Manager
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
wolfden wrote:emerge --sync && layman -S should be run frequently even, incase you ever need to fall back onto portage or our overlay for rescue.

With the caveat that you must normally ignore any message from emerge --sync telling you that a new version of the portage package is available and that you should install it.

yes, for sure and good point
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:15

chris_debian wrote:
dunsurfin wrote:Don't use emerge --sync to update if you're going to use "Entropy Store" as that is the command to update your portage tree and it's not recommended to mix the two unless you are very sure of what you're doing.

equo upgrade --ask

Re-installed, but apparently that didn't fix the problem. That will teach me not to try to maximise the Entropy Store window, as it was fine before that. I'll do an upgrade from the terminal, as you direct and have a re-think; next step is:
emerge --sync && layman -S

I think.

Thanks,

Chris

what are errors from terminal?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers