Problems after upgrade to KDE 4.6

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Problems after upgrade to KDE 4.6

Postby frapelli » Tue Feb 01, 2011 23:42

After upgrading to kde 4.6, I got a few problems.

I cannot run progs as root (as Kuser or sulfur, from menu o others from konsole or alt+F2 kdesu)

No more automount, even if devices are checked in "removable devices" of System setting.

Anybody else having same problems?

How to solve them?

Thanks
frapelli
Young Hen

Re: Problems after upgrade to KDE 4.6

Postby PGHammer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:29

frapelli wrote:After upgrading to kde 4.6, I got a few problems.

I cannot run progs as root (as Kuser or sulfur, from menu o others from konsole or alt+F2 kdesu)

No more automount, even if devices are checked in "removable devices" of System setting.

Anybody else having same problems?

How to solve them?

Thanks

Didn't have that problem.

Started with 5.5 KDE and an earlier beta of KDE 4.6, and have since updated to the released 4.6.

Have you updated "Sulfur" yet? I did have an issue with the GUI version of Sulfur until running "equo update" from a terminal/Konsole session (I was notified of updates, but could not launch Sulfur to download them). The "equo update"fixed Sulfur. which let me download more updates (including a second update for Sulfur's GUI).

Two post-5.5 install/update issues - one positive, while the other is a quibble.

The quibble first - installing KMail (4.4.10) requires removing the oxygen icons. Is this because KMail is no longer tied as tightly to the rest of kdebase as it is with 3.x?

The positive - the combination of X.org 1.6, Mesa 7.10, and KDE 4.6.0 is finally working how KDE should, because the FOSS R600-series drivers support 3D desktop hardware acceleration properly! (The R6xx drivers are for the HDXxxx GPUs except for HD6xxx - basically everything from HD2xxx to HD5xxx, desktop and Mobility alike.)

I *could* banish the binary blob (I didn't install this driver; Sabayon installed it by default), and could actually switch to the known-working FOSS driver (I was running the FOSS driver with openSuSE 11.4 M5 and M6) for the first time in years!
PGHammer
Young Hen

Postby frapelli » Wed Feb 02, 2011 21:23

Thanks PGHammer, seems Sulfur and other root progs work now.

Still no longer automount of partitions checked in Systemsettings>Removable devices, and magneto notification keeps notifying me no upgrade is available every two minutes, multiplying its own icon on the tray (at moment I have 4 notification applet icons on the tray).

Any suggestion?

Thanks
frapelli
Young Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 21:40

frapelli wrote: multiplying its own icon on the tray (at moment I have 4 notification applet icons on the tray).

Having the same problem with multiple icons on 2 machines. (SL 5K x86 and amd64 both fully updated but still running 2.6.36 kernel). Everything else seems OK. I followed wolfden's advice viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22916 but it does, of course, mean a lot of personal settings have to be reset.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby NoSavy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 22:33

Re-doing my preferences was a pain, but worth it as it gave a clean slate and smoothed a couple of things.
It does not stop the "magneto" package manager icon from multiplying though.

NS.
Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, 4 GB ram.
Gigabyte NVIDIA 9800GT Silent graphics card, Dell FP2007 22 Digital Flat panel.
Samsung harddisks 2 x 200gb SP2004S,1 x Hitachi 750gb HDT 72107,Optiarc SATA DVD-RW. Sabayon 64 & 32bit.
NoSavy
Simple Hen

Postby nomad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 16:52

I have been running 5.4 for a few months and have been reluctant to update. Now after the update my PC is less stable than before. It would unexpectedly crash, forcing me to re-login again. Screensaver is spotty in performance, sometimes it works, sometimes nothing but a black screen. Notify does not run. Screenlets broke and does not even start when called, whereas it was working before. This is not a unique problem to SL but I have experienced it in Fedora, (once) Mandrake, Suse, and others less known. This uncertainty is why I do not update after any install.
nomad
Simple Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers