PHP problem

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

PHP problem

Postby apiaio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 18:42

Hi there.
Some PHP scripts which work under Gentoo don't work under Sabayon. Comparing PHP installation using
Code: Select all
emerge -pv php
I realized, that there are different USE flags. It wouldn't be problem recompile it with new USE flags under Gentoo, but I have built Sabayon without emerge using only equo. I read somewhere in this forums,that it is dangerous to use equo and emerge in the same Sabayon installation.
I need to have PHP built at least with USE flags apache2 calendar ctype mysql mysqli. What should I do?
Thanks
apiaio
Growing Hen

Re: PHP problem

Postby micia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 18:57

It is dangerous only if you use portage too much without knowing what you are doing, using emerge just for one or two packages will not hurt your system :)
you can rebuild php safely using (after setting the appropriate USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use):
emerge -av php
equo database gentoosync

probably sulfur/equo will suggest you to install the entropy version of the package, you will want to ignore them.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 19:08

You can use the command:

# equery depends php

to find out the packages that depend on php, because you may need to rebuild those too. You can check for sure what needs to be rebuilt after building php by using the command:

# revdep-rebuild -p

You may be OK rebuilding it. If you decide to go ahead, rebuild it with the USE flags you want:

# USE="<list of additional USE flags you want>" emerge -1v php

(or declare the USE flags you want via /etc/portage/package.use as micia stated) and then do:

# equo database gentoosync

to make sure Entropy is made aware of any package changes made via Portage.

You might want to read the couple of articles in the SL Wiki on mixing Portage and Entropy first (see Package Management section on the HowTo page).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby apiaio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 19:55

equery says that only cups depends on php, but revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild and install too many packages
Calculating dependencies ... done!
[ebuild N ] dev-util/pkgconfig-0.23 USE="-hardened" 1,009 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-misc/util-macros-1.3.0 51 kB
[ebuild N ] dev-lang/nasm-2.07 USE="-doc" 762 kB
[ebuild R ] dev-cpp/libglademm-2.6.7 USE="-debug -doc -examples" 319 kB
[ebuild UD] kde-base/marble-4.3.2 [4.3.3] USE="handbook python (-aqua) -debug -designer-plugin -gps (-kdeprefix) -plasma -test" 56,587 kB
[ebuild R ] media-libs/tunepimp-0.5.3-r2 USE="python" 1,072 kB
[ebuild R ] net-analyzer/net-snmp-5.4.2.1-r2 USE="X bzip2 ipv6 lm_sensors perl python ssl tcpd zlib -diskio -doc -elf -extensible -mfd-rewrites -minimal -rpm (-selinux) -sendmail -smux" 5,064 kB
[ebuild N ] x11-proto/xineramaproto-1.2 82 kB
[ebuild R ] media-video/mjpegtools-1.9.0 USE="X dga dv gtk mmx png quicktime sdl v4l -yv12" 1,678 kB
[ebuild R ] x11-apps/xset-1.1.0 USE="-debug" 111 kB
[ebuild UD] kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.3.2 [4.3.3] USE="handbook python rss xinerama (-aqua) -debug -google-gadgets (-kdeprefix)" 61,030 kB

Total: 11 packages (2 downgrades, 4 new, 5 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 127,762 kB

* IMPORTANT: 2 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

* Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run revdep-rebuild.
apiaio
Growing Hen

Postby micia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 20:12

fitzcarraldo is right, it is always a good practice to check for dependencies :P
I see many downgrades there, have you run:
emerge --sync && layman -S

recently?

(note that Gentoo netiquette states that you should not run emerge --sync more than once a day)
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby apiaio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 20:24

I do not remember. Two or three months ago I upgraded into branch 5 following SL Wiki, but I think, that neither this time I don't use this command.
apiaio
Growing Hen

Postby micia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 20:28

Before using portage it is recommended to run it, it serves the same purpose of:
equo update

of course, it is not necessary to run it every day, but in order to have updated packages, you
should launch it, for example, once every week.
micia
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers