Deb packages on Sabayon [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Deb packages on Sabayon [Solved]

Postby xaber » Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:06

Hi there! I have a question! I saw that in entropy is possible to find dpkg... Is there some way to use deb packages on sabayon? Also, does the tool deb2tgz make it possible to install debs after converting them into tgz on sabayon? If so, does someone have any good guide for it?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by xaber on Tue Sep 22, 2009 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
xaber
Simple Hen

Re: Deb packages on Sabayon

Postby lazevedo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:25

well, the only reason I see to use debian packages is for packages you can't find on entropy/portage.. otherwise that would not be a good idea.
Anyways, I've already used rpm2targz to install a package which wasn't available on the package managers (python-newt) with success.
So, I guess it is possible to do the same with debian packages.
lazevedo
Simple Hen

Postby xaber » Mon Sep 21, 2009 17:54

And after you convert a deb/rpm into tgz, you simply have to compile it with ./config, make and make install right? And what about dpkg? Can it be used directly, instead of converting a deb package into tgz?
xaber
Simple Hen

Postby lazevedo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 19:43

I've used the normal "./configure, make, make install" process. I assume it's the same for debian packages.
Once again, if the piece of software you're looking for exists on portage/entropy, I advise you to use the package manager(s).
:)
lazevedo
Simple Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Sep 21, 2009 19:59

Hi.
First, is best to search for Sabayon or Gentoo packages....
if they are not found, try with the source packages, compiled in the classical manner (.configure, make, make install)
not founding sources, convert an Slackaware package or Red-Hats RPM package with the utility alien...
But, even if converted, the chance of a . DEB or .RPM package workind in a Gentoo based Distro as Sabayon, is minimal...!
But many many, packages are made for Gentoo!

Sabayon as Gentoo, MAY accepts dpkg, rpm command, yast, yum (see gentoo documentation) INSTALLERS but Gentoo accepts because is a very generalist distro, and a fully source code based Distro

However, Debian, RPM as in less extended Slackware PACKAGES are uselless and not good compatible in Sabayon or Gentoo.

This is no problem, since thousands of packages are known for Gentoo and Sabayon.
Last edited by albfneto on Mon Sep 21, 2009 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby xaber » Mon Sep 21, 2009 22:00

albfneto wrote:Hi.
First, is best to search for Sabayon or Gentoo packages....
if they are not found, try with the source packages, compiled in the classical manner (.configure, make, make install)
not founding sources, convert an Slackaware package or Red-Hats RPM package with the utility alien...
But, even if converted, the chance of a . DEB or .RPM package workind in a Gentoo based Distro as Sabayon, is minimal...!
But many many, packages are made for Gentoo!

Sabayon as Gentoo, MAY accepts dpkg, rpm command, yast, yum (see gentoo documentation) INSTALLERS but Gentoo accepts because is a very generalist distro, and a fully source code based Distro

However, Debian, RPM as in less extended Slackware PACKAGES are uselless and not good compatible in Sabayon or Gentoo.

This is no problem, since thousands of packages are known for Gentoo and Sabayon.

Yes, I understand. Infact, my question was made almost only for curiosity: no need to use debs or rpms right now. But, only to go through the topic more, when you say to convert rmps with alien, which type should I convert the rmp to? RMP -->to--> ???
Tnanks a lot to you all for helping!
xaber
Simple Hen

Postby xaber » Mon Sep 21, 2009 22:09

Thanks for the good reference!
xaber
Simple Hen

Postby lazevedo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22

Yes, I understand. Infact, my question was made almost only for curiosity: no need to use debs or rpms right now. But, only to go through the topic more, when you say to convert rmps with alien, which type should I convert the rmp to? RMP -->to--> ???

I see.. Well, I converted RPM to targz, then I used the "./configure, make, make install" process. A small detail: I had to use a fedora rpm, the suse's ones did not work.

Tnanks a lot to you all for helping!

Any time :)
lazevedo
Simple Hen

Postby xaber » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08

Yes but you said that you used the rpm2tgz tool... Instead albfneto told me to use alien: does alien do the same thing? I rember of reading in the net about alien to convert debs to rpms...
xaber
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers