"Equo conf update" missed! [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

"Equo conf update" missed! [Solved]

Postby xaber » Sat Sep 19, 2009 16:44

Hi there! I have a little question: when I first installed sabayon, I executed all the major updates with sulfur. After that, in the "System files" tab there were some config files to update (this I doscovered later!) and, instead of updating, I clicked "merge all". Now I know that I missed an equo conf update... What should I do to recover it? And can this cause problems to the system?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by xaber on Sun Sep 20, 2009 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
xaber
Simple Hen

Re: "Equo conf update" missed!

Postby DHalens » Sat Sep 19, 2009 17:52

"merge all" means replace all the old config files with the new ones. Configs provided with the updates are usually fine and the biggest harm I've ever seen is the lost of the language preference in the system.
There's no way for make equo/sulfur ask again what you want to modify as it's all already done.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby joeoden » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:39

In a terminal as root type
equo conf update

If any need updating type

All this info can be found in the wiki
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby xaber » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:37

DHalens wrote:"merge all" means replace all the old config files with the new ones. Configs provided with the updates are usually fine and the biggest harm I've ever seen is the lost of the language preference in the system.
There's no way for make equo/sulfur ask again what you want to modify as it's all already done.

So "merge all" is the right button to press in sulfur when some conf files need updating? And what about the button next to it, the "update" or "refresh" one (Sorry but I have the italian version so my button label is "aggiorna", which in italian could mean both "update" or "refresh". I am talking about the one with the blue arrow in the right bottom of the screen)?
And btw, the "incorporate" button on the right (the one with the green "V") is the same as the "merge all" but used for updating the conf files one by one?
xaber
Simple Hen

Postby DHalens » Sun Sep 20, 2009 17:12

"Merge all" is not always the right button. You should check the changes in the files and decide to merge or discard the changes. If you don't know what to do, merge is usually the best option.

Not sure what the update button does but almost sure it's for check if there are configs files left to be checked for merge or discard (like run equo conf update in a console).
I guess what you call "incorporate" button is the one for merge the file selected from the list.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby xaber » Sun Sep 20, 2009 19:35

Perfect! I really thank you for helping me out!
Thanks a lot!
xaber
Simple Hen

Postby Marius » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:13

joeoden wrote:In a terminal as root type
equo conf update

If any need updating type

All this info can be found in the wiki

What do you mean by all this info? Wiki does not give any explanation of numerous scenarios a Sabayon user may face when confronted with updating config files.
Marius
Simple Hen

Re: "Equo conf update" missed! [Solved]

Postby joeoden » Thu Nov 05, 2009 13:25

Marius wrote:What do you mean by all this info? Wiki does not give any explanation of numerous scenarios a Sabayon user may face when confronted with updating config files.

You are welcome to modify the wiki (if you have the time) this should give you the info you require
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18883#p107714

Don't forget that this has not been posted in the Beginners|Newbies Area

So it would be expected that users who are creating topics follow this
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 518#p72605
before posting, but we are only human and yes I even made a couple of id ten t errors today because I misread something and created a typo (that's nothing new for me, I'm still having fun trying to learn something new)

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers