Modify entropy-world set

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Modify entropy-world set

Postby Spiros » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:47

I noticed that in the entropy-world set there are some packages I don't need (e.g. sulfur, magneto-kde, entropy-kioslaves). I have a Sabayon Core and these packages need a lot of dependencies when I upgrade with "equo world". How can one remove these packages from this set?
Spiros
Young Hen

Re: Modify entropy-world set

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 16:39

You cant. Just equo remove @entropy-world, them emerge entropy and equo then equo install the bits you use
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby Spiros » Mon Sep 14, 2009 16:55

Thanks.
I'm right if I say that "equo world" upgrades entropy_world and all dependencies if it exists?
I don't fully understand what actually "equo world" does. Is it just the equivalent of gentoo's "emerge -uD world"?
Spiros
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Sep 14, 2009 21:32

equo world updates everything same thing equo upgrade does

any new packages will be updated

emerge world doesn't necessarily update all packages, but that is getting technical
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Odysseus » Mon Sep 14, 2009 23:59

I see from your original post that you've started with the "core" CD and desire to add applications and update them without the "cruft". This presents a problem, since Sabayon is a binary distribution anything you add to your system must include whatever dependencies that the original base system used to compile them, just as if you were running any other binary distribution like Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc... So if you want to pull in an app with equo any related dependencies will automatically be pulled in as well.

Now if you're using the "core" CD as a shortcut to run Gentoo then equo/entropy may not be the way for you to go. If so, may I suggest this thread in the portage forum viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17890 and this page on the Sabayon wiki http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... ur:_CoreCD These explain several options for getting started properly without hosing your system.

Now if you don't want to do much compiling and just want to use your system and have it "just work" then I suggest using the full KDE or Gnome DVDs, install and enjoy. Add anything you want from the Sabayon repositories, and as long as you make no changes to your make.conf file you can also add what isn't natively in the repository here from Gentoo and still maintain binary compatibility. There's much good info on the wiki including this post http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... tage_Guide which will help you get started in using package management in the proper way without breaking anything.

I hope this helps.

Ciao
Odysseus
Simple Hen

Postby Spiros » Tue Sep 15, 2009 21:11

@Odysseus: Thanks for the explanations, they are very very useful (and the links, too). But I know what I'm doing: I don't just need a running system, I want to build my own system like I do with my Gentoo. I just want to speed up with some steps, like installing the server X. But I need to build my own copy of kde from svn and some others thinks.
So, I think I can install the basic system with entropy, then "forget" it (until there are updates for the installed packages) and build from sources the DE and the apps.
Spiros
Young Hen

Postby Odysseus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 22:42

Spiros wrote:@Odysseus: Thanks for the explanations, they are very very useful (and the links, too). But I know what I'm doing: I don't just need a running system, I want to build my own system like I do with my Gentoo. I just want to speed up with some steps, like installing the server X. But I need to build my own copy of kde from svn and some others thinks.
So, I think I can install the basic system with entropy, then "forget" it (until there are updates for the installed packages) and build from sources the DE and the apps.

Actually Spiros 2 of the links provided (in my second paragraph) do guide you towards building a stable working system with the base core CD and using portage combined with equo/entropy to build a safe-sane system without package breakage.

This is what I did. I was having a hell of a time with dependency issues with my old Gentoo set-up upgrading to KDE4. So I decided to rebuild my system from scratch. Since my divorce last year, I don't have a broadband internet connection and rely on going to the library or local Starbucks which have wifi connections. What I did was burn a copy of the Sabayon-KDE DVD and core CD. Then I installed the core CD onto my laptop. Then I used the DVD to edit any files I needed and to chroot into the core system on my laptop. The DVD allowed me to get internet and download anything I needed.

My plan was to recompile my system with my own use flags and compiler options. First, I followed exactly what was said in the second link I listed about using the core CD, from the Sabayon Wiki, to get up and running. After doing this I made the changes I wanted to the various configuration files, then I would just "emerge --fetchonly" what I needed, to get onto my laptop. I utilized the bandwidth I could get from these public places. Then I compiled at home. Now my system is up and running exactly how I want. It's now a ~86 Gentoo KDE system with a Sabayon overlay for portage. Doing it this way saved me many hours of compiling and setting-up for the initial system and allowed me to keep using my machine via the complete system on the DVD while I was constructing my setup on my laptop.

I hope this helps,
Ciao
Odysseus
Simple Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers