New kernel 2.6.29 failed to work

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

New kernel 2.6.29 failed to work

Postby Arik_Chen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:49

hi, all
I used equo world to update my system, everything goes well except the newly install kernel 2.6.29 cannot work.
after the grub menu selection, the screen just go black, however, the older kernel is working.
Did anyone encounter that before?

thanks for help
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Re: New kernel 2.6.29 failed to work

Postby micia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:31

You should check your modules, see the wiki for some kernel update procedures.
After you update the kernel, you have to check and ensure that its kernel modules get
updated too, you cannot use modules for older kernel into newer ones, also ensure that the new
kernel is "eselected" using:
Code: Select all
eselect kernel list

and
eselect kernel set <kernel from the 'list'>
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Aug 02, 2009 15:32

does sound like a video issue, what video card are you using, also what kernel works? I will assume the new kernel is .29

The only time I have ran into this issue is with older intel video. if the screen goes black and grub does not list any errors....
Possible it is still booting and 1/2 way through the boot process you will get video back as the modules are being loaded.
If it is a intel "obvious I do not know" It may have reached an undefined video mode and is waiting for a response from you.

Only suggestion I can offer without more info, open your grub.conf file and comment out your splash image not sure if this will help in your case...worth a try as it wont hurt anything.
And of course give it plenty of time to boot...see if the video does come back during the boot.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 16:37

Can also happen with ATI and Nvidia GPUs, genfool, not just Intel GPUs.

Other things to try:
- Reinstall or rebuild the graphics card driver.
- Make sure the installed graphics card driver version matches the kernel version if you're using Entropy.
- eselect opengl list and then eselect opengl set <target>.
- If you have an ATI GPU model that is no longer supported by the AMD Catalyst 9.4 driver onwards (check AMD's release notes), SL overlay ebuild ati-drivers-8.593-r10 was modified recently by lxnay (thus affecting the compiled package in Entropy too) and no longer works with the 2.6.29 kernel in my case, so I moved to the open-source Radeon driver.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Aug 02, 2009 17:21

Fitzcarraldo, I agree with you
The way I read the post, is losing video as soon as he selects kernel and hits enter....I may be wrong.
This has only happened to me with intel. With ati or nvidia I at least get to the login screen and have access to a terminal.
The way I read it, the op does not have access to a terminal.
Cheers :)

can you tell I hate intel? fighting with a 945gm at the moment...that has worked perfect in the recent past (until I updated to new drivers) :(
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 18:53

I wasn't sure whether or not the OP meant his screen is freezing. Recently with the 2.6.29 kernel and the various changes to the fglrx driver ebuilds for the AMD Catalyst 9.3 driver (the last version that supports my Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU) and thus to the built drivers in the Entropy repository, I've been getting a black screen (sometimes with an underscore character in the top left hand corner) but can get to a TTY console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F<n>, n=1 to 6.

Another thing that helped someone was to enter the depmod command (see 4.2 is (and is still) a hit). Another thing people forget to do sometimes when upgrading the kernel is to eselect kernel list and eselect kernel set <n>.

Interesting what you have to say about the Intel driver, genfool, as there has been a lot of chatter on the Web recently about problems with the latest version of the Intel driver and X.Org. I'm thinking about getting a new laptop in a few months and one of the models I was looking at is a Sony Vaio with an Intel GPU. The latest problems have made me rather wary of going the Intel GPU route.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby genfool » Sun Aug 02, 2009 19:30

I will give intel a gold star for their effort...seems to me they do care, and giving a real effort to correct these issues.

My issue with the 945/gm started after an update and always worked fine before. The update included xorg, intel drivers, works fine with out compiz....with compiz it is unusable. sooo, I am currently looking at the xorg.conf file, make.conf does not have intel under VIDEO_CARDS I have added that...could simply be the new driver, or the new xorg...I dunno, did I mention, this is also a core install on branch 5? I should not, but...
So many possibilities for error...just saying, intel is in the game and playing hard ball....don't count them out.
On 5, the older intels I have run compiz fine....why the newer 945 is puzzling to me, and worth my time to try and find the issue.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby Arik_Chen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:09

micia wrote:You should check your modules, see the wiki for some kernel update procedures.
After you update the kernel, you have to check and ensure that its kernel modules get
updated too, you cannot use modules for older kernel into newer ones, also ensure that the new
kernel is "eselected" using:
eselect kernel list

and
eselect kernel set <kernel from the 'list'>

Yes, I do have select the new kernel 2.6.29, and install the new video driver.
then I reboot, and encounter the above situation.
PS: An interesting things is that I select the new kernel 2.6.29, why can I boot from kernel 2.6.27 without eselect kernel set * again? anything wrong here?
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Postby Arik_Chen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:24

genfool wrote:does sound like a video issue, what video card are you using, also what kernel works? I will assume the new kernel is .29

The only time I have ran into this issue is with older intel video. if the screen goes black and grub does not list any errors....
Possible it is still booting and 1/2 way through the boot process you will get video back as the modules are being loaded.
If it is a intel "obvious I do not know" It may have reached an undefined video mode and is waiting for a response from you.

Only suggestion I can offer without more info, open your grub.conf file and comment out your splash image not sure if this will help in your case...worth a try as it wont hurt anything.
And of course give it plenty of time to boot...see if the video does come back during the boot.

hi, my video card is nvidia 9500GT which is run well in kernel 2.6.27, and the failed kernel is 2.6.29. And I have tried to comment out the splash image in grub, it is still the same.
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Tue Aug 04, 2009 13:39

Arik_Chen wrote:Yes, I do have select the new kernel 2.6.29, and install the new video driver.
then I reboot, and encounter the above situation.
PS: An interesting things is that I select the new kernel 2.6.29, why can I boot from kernel 2.6.27 without eselect kernel set * again? anything wrong here?

This is normal, ensure that your video drivers are correct with:
eselect opengl set nvidia

and reboot.
micia
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers