Undo equo database gentoosync ?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Undo equo database gentoosync ?

Postby sidelve » Tue Jul 28, 2009 20:48

EDIT
Sorry, I haven't noticed, that there is topic with similar problem almost below mine, so it looks like nothing has changed and it can go to trash...

Hi !

My first post, so hello :)

First, thank you for best distro ever - I use gnu/linux few years already, tried many different, more and less popular distros, but distro mixed with packages (with quite big database) and sources (especially with great ebuilds) is just incredibly awesome !

Anyway, I have my first problem, I can't handle by myself.
Everything was great, somehow I succeeded managing entropy and portage mixing, until today, I read somewhere, that there is some nice command like "equo database gentoosync" which will sync my entropy and portage, great !

What did I think will happen ?

equo search ktorrent :

>> @@ Package: net-p2p/ktorrent-3.2.1-r1 branch: 4
>> Available: version: 3.2.1-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>> Installed: version: Not installed ~ tag: N/A ~ revision: N/A

emerge -s ktorrent :

* net-p2p/ktorrent
Latest version available: 3.2.2
Latest version installed: 3.2.2

Obvious thing: equo can't see newer version of ktorrent installed by emerge.
I was hoping, after database gentoosync, there will be something similar to that:

equo search ktorrent :

>> @@ Package: net-p2p/ktorrent-3.2.1-r1 branch: 4
>> Available: version: 3.2.1-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>> Installed: version: 3.2.2 ~ tag: N/A ~ revision: N/A

(sorry for quote, instead of code, but I wanted formatting like [ b ] etc...)

Of course, it didn't happen and apart from that all just messed up and now, equo wants to downgrade more than 100 packages which I emerged and which are newer that these, available in entropy.

My question is, is it possible to somehow reverse to previous database before gentoosync or regenerate database ?
I tried almost all database options (vacuum, generate, counters) but it didn't help...

I googled and searched forum, and only thing I found was masking, which is not so elegant solution (I think, it's not even a solution, but just kind of dirty workaround).

Maybe something has changed, and now there is some nice solution which can help me ?

Regards :)
sidelve
Baby Hen

Re: Undo equo database gentoosync ?

Postby Ulukai » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18

Hello and welcome.

I too find joy in installing latest versions from Emerge because they often solve many problems like bugs etc or improve performance. After doing the same gentoosync command as you a couple of days ago, Entropy wanted to downgrade some of my packages also.

As of today, I haven't found any other solution than masking either, but it seems so inefficient and it just has to go wrong after some time with the dependencies... So I just try ignoring the downgrades for now and haven't done anything else until I find a better solution.

Emerge and Equo are both very powerfull package managers, but combining still seems troublesome to me...

Maybe the devs have a better solution? Are we the only 2 people who run into trouble with this? Or do we misunderstand the point and consequences of masking packages?
Ulukai
Baby Hen

Re: Undo equo database gentoosync ?

Postby sidelve » Wed Jul 29, 2009 17:19

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Have you seen this?: Re: how to make equo world ignore packages?

Thank you !
It helped :)
sidelve
Baby Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers