Install Apt?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Install Apt?

Postby Fabi3194 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:38

Hi!
How can I install Apt on my Sabayon 4.2?
Thanks
Fabi3194
Baby Hen

Re: Install Apt?

Postby DHalens » Sat Jul 11, 2009 13:10

I guess you are not talking about this one... :mrgreen:
Code: Select all
sabayon client # equo query belongs /usr/bin/apt
>>  @@ Belong Search...
>>      @@ Package: dev-java/java-config-2.1.8-r1               branch: 5
>>        Available:            version: 2.1.8-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>        Slot:                 2
>>        Homepage:             http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/
>>        Description:          Java environment configuration
>>                              tool
>>        License:              GPL-2
>>  Keyword:    /usr/bin/apt
>>  Found:      1 entries

If you mean the apt for manage packages, as far as i know, you can't install it. But you can install dpkg if you want to play with a .deb package:
Code: Select all
equo update && equo install dpkg

or search dpkg in sulfur and install it.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby carltonh » Mon Jul 27, 2009 18:58

I'm not sure if this would be the appropriate place to ask, but this thread made me think of this.

I'd like to install the most current version of wine in Sabayon 4.2. I assume I could learn how to emerge it, but on the other hand, I could easily grab Ubuntu's .deb file by installing dpkg in Sabayon? Also, Ubuntu's wine has a feature I like of adding programs installed in wine to the menu, so you rarely have to use the CLI.

Would this work? Or can I just as easily get the same features somehow with emerge?
carltonh
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 19:20

You should install the latest version available in entropy. It is not very out of date. Unless there is a specific bug fix that you know of that occurred very recently, I would recommend trying that out.

Wine installations also show up in the menu (at least I can confirm that for KDE, but I would assume Gnome as well).

Past that, emerge would be recommended before the .deb package.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby carltonh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:26

I'm running a fully up to date Sabayon 4.2 KDE and have reinstalled wine with equo (1.1.23) and wine did not populate in the KDE menu. I know I could manually add it, but since you said it should automatically be there, I'm wondering what could be wrong. I've run winecfg.

So then I did emerge --sync and emerge wine. That upgraded wine to 1.1.26 (current), but also installed x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto-2.2.2. I'm not familiar with that. Hope it doesn't screw anything up. I'm not terribly comfortable with portage and Gentoo stuff.
carltonh
Young Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:38

Wine is not an application you run. Wine enables your computer to run Windows applications, so it won't be in your application menu. All it is, is a set of libraries that allow the execution of the Windows API. If you would would like a gui for it you could try out playonlinux.

Also, you should avoid using dpkg to install .deb files. use entropy or portage to install the programs that you want.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53

carltonh wrote:Also, Ubuntu's wine has a feature I like of adding programs installed in wine to the menu, so you rarely have to use the CLI.

Are you thinking of Wine-Doors, by any chance? You can install Wine-Doors via Entropy or Portage, as you wish. If you prefer Entropy, you can use Sulfur or Equo. Once it's installed, read the instructions in the following post for how to initialise it: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17670&p=101498#p101901

Then you'll have a Wine entry in the applications menu: Kickoff > Applications > Wine > Programs > applications.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers