update to 4.2 problems [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

update to 4.2 problems [Solved]

Postby billk » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:51

I installed 4.1 and it seemed to work. I updated repositories and a very long process started that turned out to be a full update to 4.2. Now little works. Spritz does not work. Installed sulfur at command line but it does not appear. entropy does not work. Spritz does not work. 3d desktop effects cannto be enabled. Sound errors are reported. The whole system seems a mess. (already tried equo install sulfur, equo update --force, equo install entropy.) Any ideas, or is it back to Ubuntu? :cry:
Last edited by billk on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:12, edited 2 times in total.
billk
Baby Hen

Re: update to 4.2 problems

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:14

Likely the update stopped or was incomplete when it updated the networking / cut the internet off = missing files not downloaded

Yes there is a fix either reinstall or use some options to fix it back to working again.
Sorry we have had a lot of problems with 4.1 and software from their respective makers / developers that causes breakages.

You can also try 4.0-r1/2 as it will have less issues and only update what you really need.

Posting from memory so double check this options with equo --help

First after reinstall, option for a decent world upgrade / update:
Code: Select all
equo update ; equo install equo entropy sulfur layman portage ; equo conf update ; equo world --multifetch=8 ; equo conf update ; equo libtest ; equo deptest ; equo install nvidia-drivers ati-drivers

Remove the nvidia or ati of you do not have that video card then reboot and you should have a decent working system.

This options can be split into separate or copied as is as the ; will results in 1st command ; 2nd command and if the first fails the rest will continue.

Current, to fix it:
equo libtest ; equo deptest ; equo conf update ; equo install module-rebuild ; equo module-rebuild rebuild ; equo world ; equo conf update ; equo install nvidia-drivers ati-drivers

Then reboot.

This should get you to a fairly decent working version. Also check for posts around end of may I posted about fixes to this for more info.

Sulfur ends up in xfce or gnome or kde menu's and right click them = add to desktop to make a desktop icon.

All this problems are being worked on.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby lxnay » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:31

billk wrote:I installed 4.1 and it seemed to work. I updated repositories and a very long process started that turned out to be a full update to 4.2. Now little works. Spritz does not work. Installed sulfur at command line but it does not appear. entropy does not work. Spritz does not work. 3d desktop effects cannto be enabled. Sound errors are reported. The whole system seems a mess. (already tried equo install sulfur, equo update --force, equo install entropy.) Any ideas, or is it back to Ubuntu? :cry:

update your repos, UPDATE entropy (equo install entropy), update system (equo upgrade). If you read messages after "equo update", you'd have seen that it tells you to update entropy before any other package!
You did not report any error message nor logs.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby billk » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:50

Thanks to both of you. I believe that I have solved most of the problems with the following, which I report hoping it will help others:
terminal
su
equo install sulfur
equo update --force
equo install entropy
equo world --ask (and agree to all)

Then followed other instructions on screen, like a command that cleaned up config files, including deletion of 3 ATI files because I have a nvidia board.

However, plasma constantly crashed and the whole system crashed, so:
now in sulfur in menu I installed an older nvidia driver. Then:
terminal
su
equo install nvidia-drivers
eslect opengl set nvidia
reboot

Now only 2 apparent problems: a sound error message at boot and no system sound, though I can play a music cd; and an ongoing failure to be able to complete the last step in the instructions on how to install a Brother printer.

Bill K
billk
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Jun 20, 2009 15:19

For sound use old school , this will load all alsa modules but you have a very good chance to have the audio working after this.
alsaconfig --help

Nvidia motherboard, if you can post the model / specs we would be able to suggest a possible fix for the sound issues as well as the sound error on boot.
Older nvidia video cards / inbuilt nvidia video chips might need to have the legacy drivers 97.?? to make them work properly.

Also see Wolfden's post / sticky about posting problems.

We have a lovely wiki top right of this screen that could help with more config problems / fixes / how-to's .

If you can the options / commands of equo I posted above if you can run that then you would have most if not all things fixed and possibly get the missing part for the brother printer so that it can work as well. Then you can complete the brother printer install.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 16:43

WarraWarra wrote:Sulfur ends up in xfce or gnome or kde menu's and right click them = add to desktop to make a desktop icon.

If, for whatever reason, you don't get a Desktop Config File (desktop shortcut) for Sulfur when you install it -- which is what happened to me -- then you can easily create one by copying to your Desktop the file in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17183&p=98485#p98485
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby billk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:51

Thanks to all who are helping me. The system, as I reported eralier is now working.

The sound problem is that at start up I receive a message that the analog for REaltec ALC888 does not work and it is reverting to the digital. However, when I test the audio, digital, of course, does not work, but analog does. So it seems to be a false message, though the startup sound does not happen.

I have solved the Brother printer issue as I posted in another topic, with information found only in the gentoo archive.

The most significant problem is that since the update to 4.2 Open office does not work at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill K
billk
Baby Hen

Postby billk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:12

Solved the Openoffice issue by manually reinstalling:
equo install openoffice

Thus all problems related to update from 4.1 to 42, execpt minor startup sound message and failure, are solved. I do hope that future updates will not break everything because this is an excellent and very fun to use distribution.
:lol:
billk
Baby Hen

Re: update to 4.2 problems SOLVED!

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:34

Nice to hear it is working fine for you.

If you can please update or post the printer fix from gentoo in the wiki as I am sure someone else will need it as well or in the other post you mentioned. :D
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:59

billk wrote:
The sound problem is that at start up I receive a message that the analog for REaltec ALC888 does not work and it is reverting to the digital. However, when I test the audio, digital, of course, does not work, but analog does. So it seems to be a false message, though the startup sound does not happen.

Bill K

I had constant sound problems similar to yours and solved them by removing pulseaudio.
equo remove pulseaudio --nodeps
(the --nodeps is important). I have to do it on a fairly regular basis (after world updates) as, I think, masking pulseaudio would stop a lot of kde 4.* updates :(
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers