equo update will not work on new, clean SL 4.1 [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

equo update will not work on new, clean SL 4.1 [Solved]

Postby jfarrar42 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 17:36

I am enjoying learning about and using Linux, specifically Sabayon. I have worked with other distros, but prefer all that I see in Sabayon much better, especially the underlying structure when compared to Ubuntu (debian). My experience in computers is mainly in hardware, so much of this software work is new to me. Basically, I cannot update SL 4.1 using equo update. I am using the 64 bit version of SL 4.1. It fails as you can see in the following message:

Code: Select all
Sabayon-E6600 ~ # equo update
>> Repository sabayonlinux.org hasn't been downloaded yet.
>> Repository sabayonlinux.org is not available. Cannot validate
>> !!! Please update your repositories now in order to remove this message!
>>  @@ Repositories synchronization ...
>>    [svn.sabayonlinux.org:1026] Successfully connected to host
>>    [svn.sabayonlinux.org:1026] Successfully disconnected from host
>>   #  (1/1) Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>   # Database URL: http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy/standard/sabayonlinux.org/database/amd64/4
>>   # Database local path: /var/lib/entropy/client/database/amd64/sabayonlinux.org/standard/amd64/4
>>   # Database EAPI: 3
>>    Downloading repository database ...
>>    Attention: database does not exist online.
>> Repository sabayonlinux.org hasn't been downloaded yet.
>> Repository sabayonlinux.org is not available. Cannot validate
>> !!! Please update your repositories now in order to remove this message!

Edited color very though on the eyes.

I have installed SL 4.1 3 times as KDE type and once as gnome. One install was on a HP laptop zv5000 and the other 3 on an AMD computer and twice on a Intel Dual Core E6600 system. The problem is the same across both the KDE and Gnome installations. I have read all I can find from Google and the Community on this problem and done the recommendations. For example equo update, equo update --force, emerge --sync, emaint --check world, emaint --fix world, revdep-rebuild. Running equo deptest and equo deptest completed successfully. I have read the articles that were refered to by the articles that I found from the Google search. In all of this I still have the same original error of equo update failing. Due to my lack of experience with Linux I dont know what else to do. I am really excited about what I see in SL and want to use it as my Operating System. I am looking to get away from Windows and work on Linux. I have worked with Ubuntu and the update function comes on automatically a few moments after installtion and allows you to update to current code. I understand that due to foundational differences in SL these functions are provided by Entropy, Sulfur, Portato, and the like, as well as the fact that it takes more hands on work with SL to get the benifits of it, which I dont mind. Any help to get this solved would be greatly appreciated. The new look & feel of 4.1 is fantastic! Congratulations to all who worked on the team to bring this to fruit. :thumright:
Last edited by jfarrar42 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:33, edited 1 time in total.
jfarrar42
Baby Hen

Re: equo update will not work on new, clean SL 4.1 installation

Postby hatalar205 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 18:14

I think this can be helpful.
Fresh Install - What to do?
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Jun 14, 2009 20:25

For some users the equo update does not work I had the same problem and you can cheat past it to get the first copy of the files in there by using rsync.

There is also the 300/400mb file that gets downloaded, same or a extracted packages.db.bz2 and can be extracted as in the linked example below.

http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16797&p=96234&hilit=rsync+packages.db.bz2#p96234

http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16392&p=95003&hilit=rsync+packages.db.bz2#p95003

The idea is to get most of the files or all of them same as what equo update would have done or excluding the 400mb file and using the packages.db.bz2 extract it to create the 400mb packages.db file then once all the files are there run equo update and all works fine. It just needs to be jump started.

This problem is caused by ISP's and poorly configured DNS server at the isp you are using , causing a failure to complete the equo update task from the server.

Extracting the file to create the 400mb file and save download time.
cd /var/lib/entropy/client/database/x86/sabayonlinux.org/standard/x86/4
bzip2 --help
bzip2 -dv packages.db.bz2
cd /
equo update

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby eshum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:55

With a fresh install this is what I would do . Login bring up a terminal- su-root password -equo update equo this will update equo-entropy-sulfur to the current version then equo entropy-sulfer should function properly.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby jfarrar42 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:53

eshum wrote:With a fresh install this is what I would do . Login bring up a terminal- su-root password -equo update equo this will update equo-entropy-sulfur to the current version then equo entropy-sulfer should function properly.

ed

As stated this does not work from a clean install. It errors with the quoted failure.
jfarrar42
Baby Hen

Postby jfarrar42 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:55

hatalar205 wrote:I think this can be helpful.
Fresh Install - What to do?
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

I did this as one of the earlier attempts at repair. All instructions were followed and still got the quoted failure message.
jfarrar42
Baby Hen

Postby jfarrar42 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 14:12

WarraWarra wrote:For some users the equo update does not work I had the same problem and you can cheat past it to get the first copy of the files in there by using rsync.

There is also the 300/400mb file that gets downloaded, same or a extracted packages.db.bz2 and can be extracted as in the linked example below.

http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16797&p=96234&hilit=rsync+packages.db.bz2#p96234

http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16392&p=95003&hilit=rsync+packages.db.bz2#p95003

The idea is to get most of the files or all of them same as what equo update would have done or excluding the 400mb file and using the packages.db.bz2 extract it to create the 400mb packages.db file then once all the files are there run equo update and all works fine. It just needs to be jump started.

This problem is caused by ISP's and poorly configured DNS server at the isp you are using , causing a failure to complete the equo update task from the server.

bzip2 --help
cd /
equo update

Hope this helps.

I worked with your solution and it is the best advice yet, however, when I ran the command it failed and said the directory was missing?????? I checked further and found the destination directories AFTER and INCLUDING /sabayonlinux.org were missing on my machine? I made each one manually following your example. I reran the command for rsync and it worked. The download completed. I then issued the equo cache generate command which completed. Now for the test....... equo update Same failure message. Something is really messed up with the .iso for SL. I am going back to another clean install (format and all) of SL 4.1 KDE and retry your recommendations and see if the results are any different. Thanks, John
jfarrar42
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Tue Jun 16, 2009 0:53

I have a Sabayon linux 4.1 86-64 dvd that I know works. If you like I would mail it to you just email me you mailing address. :)

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby jfarrar42 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26

jfarrar42 wrote:
WarraWarra wrote:For some users the equo update does not work I had the same problem and you can cheat past it to get the first copy of the files in there by using rsync.

bzip2 --help
cd /
equo update

Hope this helps.

I worked with your solution and it is the best advice yet, however, when I ran the command it failed and said the directory was missing?????? I checked further and found the destination directories AFTER and INCLUDING /sabayonlinux.org were missing on my machine? I made each one manually following your example. I reran the command for rsync and it worked. The download completed. I then issued the equo cache generate command which completed. Now for the test....... equo update Same failure message. Something is really messed up with the .iso for SL. I am going back to another clean install (format and all) of SL 4.1 KDE and retry your recommendations and see if the results are any different. Thanks, John

I downloaded the 64 bit SL 4.1 again and realized I had gotten the AMD64 version and not the X86-64 version. I am on a Intel C2D machine. This explains why the subdirectories were not correct. After installation the equo update still did not work, but I ran your commands to do the rsync and so far all has worked well. I have done equo install and emerged several programs. All appears to be running well. Thank you for your help!
jfarrar42
Baby Hen

Re: equo update will not work on new, clean SL 4.1 [Solved]

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:02

amd64 and x86-64 are the same thing, just named differently and works on intel and amd cpus
see viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17269#p99140

edited title to [Solved] as per viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1730
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers