Equo / Portage update confusion

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Equo / Portage update confusion

Post by dave_p_b » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:17

Hi

I'm a bit confused over the equo updates, hopefully someone can clear this up for me. I'll split this up into two parts:

1) First off, I installed clamav-0.93.1from Portage using the emerge command. Then straight after, the equo etp-applet says it has an update. It reads like this:
Package Name------------------------- Version Installed---------Available
app-antivirus/clamav-0.93.1_______ 0.93.1~9999__________0.93.1~0

(btw: I'm using "-" (minus) and "_" (underscore) to seperate the text as multiple spaces or tabs don't format properly.)

Now, equo assumes that its version (0.93.1~0) is an upgrade to the portage version (0.93.1~9999), even though they are the same version.
However, I can switch this behaviour off by editing the /etc/entropy/equo.conf file. The very last value (at the bottom of the page) can be changed to "ignore-spm-downgrades|enable". If I now restart the equo etp-applet, the suggested upgrade no longer exists !! :)

2) Second, this is the part I can't figure out. Say, for example, I install opera-9.51 from Portage using the emerge command. Now, the equo etp-applet reads like this:
Package Name------------------------- Version Installed---------Available
www-client/opera-9.50___________ 9.51~9999_____________9.50~0

Now, I can see from this that equo only has opera version 9.50, and not version 9.51 like portage does, but surely it shouldn't be suggesting to downgrade the package. Is there anyway to turn this behaviour off. E.g equo should only suggest on upgrading packages if it has a package with a version higher than the one I installed from portage.

This has been bugging me for ages as I have about 80 upgrades in spritz and the etp-applet, but a vast number of them would actually downgrade packages that I originally installed via portage.

Many thanks

Dave

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Equo / Portage update confusion

Post by wolfden » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:23

I thought equo database gentoosync was exactly for this kinda stuff

:?:

tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Post by tekwyzrd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:53

wolfden wrote:I thought equo database gentoosync was exactly for this kinda stuff

:?:
If so it doesn't work.
I have linux-sabayon-2.6.25-r1 built from source due to intermittent operation of my soundblaster live card with the standard kernel. Update manager considers linux-sabayon-2.6.25-r1#2.6.25-sabayon-r1 an update. I have nvidia-drivers-173.15.09 installed. Update manager considers nvidia-drivers-173.14.05-r10 as an update. Looking at the installed xorg-server I see it's v1.4.2 yet the update manager offers xorg-server-1.4.2 as an update.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:57

might want to submit a bug report on this

weird stuff

tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Post by tekwyzrd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:49

Bug 475 Submitted
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!

dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Post by dave_p_b » Tue Jul 15, 2008 15:55

Hi Wolfden

I'm not sure if equo database gentoosync is responsible for this. I though gentoosync just informed equo what packages had been installed via portage.
It seams that equo considers it's own packages higher versions than it considers Portage packages, regardless of the version numbers.

I suppose if we only used equo and never installed anything via Portage then this problem would never occur.
It would be nice to get to the bottom of this though as I don't seem to be able to upgrade all the genuine equo upgrades without it trying to downgrade my Portage packages to its lower equo versions.

All the best

Dave

p.s. I assume that you can reproduce this problem and it's not only me? :?

tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Post by tekwyzrd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 16:50

dave_p_b wrote:Hi Wolfden

I'm not sure if equo database gentoosync is responsible for this. I though gentoosync just informed equo what packages had been installed via portage.
It seams that equo considers it's own packages higher versions than it considers Portage packages, regardless of the version numbers.

I suppose if we only used equo and never installed anything via Portage then this problem would never occur.
It would be nice to get to the bottom of this though as I don't seem to be able to upgrade all the genuine equo upgrades without it trying to downgrade my Portage packages to its lower equo versions.

All the best

Dave

p.s. I assume that you can reproduce this problem and it's not only me? :?
Reproduce? The same updates are included every time the update applet checks for new versions so I'd say yes. Currently two packages with lower version numbers and one with the same version number are offered as updates. In addition there's the standard sabayon kernel offered as an update for my locally built kernel.

FWIW, I can't use the standard kernel. I don't want to have to reboot three or four times to get my sound working after I shut down for bad weather. There's no problem when the soundblaster live driver is built-in rather than built as a module. I've been dealing with this sound module problem since I first ran sabayon on this computer (v3.1?) so it's nothing unexpected. One of the first things I do after installing is rebuild the kernel from the newest sabayon kernel source package.

[edit] In an unrelated matter, I hope those in charge update to kaffeine-0.8.7 and xine-lib-1.1.14 soon. I built and installed the newest kaffeine manually (I realize it's not recommended but it FINALLY includes a patch that adds atsc support and I couldn't wait - have a dvico fusion hdtv5 rt gold tuner card that's been sitting here unused. It was VERY easy to get the tuner working with kaffeine v0.8.7.) [/edit]

pstolowski
Baby Hen

Post by pstolowski » Wed Jul 16, 2008 16:45

I've similiar problem. Entropy has boost-1.34.1~1. I've emerge'ed boost-1.35.0~r1~9999. Update applet considers boost-1.34 to be a newer version. (I've synced databased).

Update: what's interesting. equo world --pretend indicates that it's going to DOWNGRADE my boost:

Code: Select all

pawel-laptop ~ # equo world --pretend
>>  @@ Calculating System Updates...
>>  @@ Packages matching update:                1
>>  @@ Packages matching not available:         0
>>  @@ Packages matching already up to date:    1750
>>  @@ These are the chosen packages:
>>    # (1/1) dev-util/boost-build-1.34.1 >>> Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>      Versions:        1.35.0-r1 / NoTag / 9999 ===> 1.34.1 / NoTag / 1
>>      Action:          Downgrade
>>  @@ Packages involved: 1
>>  @@ Calculating dependencies ...
>>  @@ These are the packages that would be merged:
>>  ## [D] [gentoo-db->sabayonlinux.org] dev-util/boost-build-1.34.1|1   [1.35.0-r1|9999]
>>  @@ Packages needing to be installed/updated/downgraded: 1
>>  @@ Packages needing to be removed: 0
>>  @@ Packages needing to be installed: 0
>>  @@ Packages needing to be reinstalled: 0
>>  @@ Packages needing to be updated: 0
>>  @@ Packages needing to be downgraded: 1
>>  @@ Download size: 310.9kB
>>  @@ Freed disk space: 266.6kB
>>  @@ You need at least: 355.3kB of free space
>>  @@ Nothing to remove.
>>  @@ Caching complete.
Why is it attempting to downgrade? Can I disable this behaviour?

Thanks

rand.a
Growing Hen

Post by rand.a » Wed Jul 16, 2008 16:59

Isn't this why we are supposed to stick to one package manager or the other?

tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Post by tekwyzrd » Wed Jul 16, 2008 17:46

tekwyzrd wrote:Bug 475 Submitted
Well, it seems this behavior is intended. The bug report was marked as invalid. I guess we'll just have to get used to seeing downgrades and same version packages offered as updates. :(