Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

wolfden
Sharecropper

Getting to Know Entropy - Equo - Rigo

Post by wolfden » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16

I suggest if you are interested in learning about Entropy to read:
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

The wiki documentation is a work in progress as Entropy develops, so please keep an eye on that page for latest changes. Also don't forget to use

Code: Select all

equo --help
Moderator Edit (May 9, 2011): Changed "Spritz" to "Sulfur" in the thread title, as the Entropy GUI was renamed to 'Sulfur' some time ago.

Moderator Edit (May 9, 2013): Changed "Sulfur" to "Rigo" in the thread title, as the Entropy GUI was changed to 'Rigo' some time ago.

Element
Growing Hen

A breakdown of Equo and Sulfur

Post by Element » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:45

Hi, I'm Nathan and I do some basic testing for Entropy. I fall under the rule of the mighty Lxnay and the Great Joost Ruis. I'm going to try my best to breakdown our two new applications, Equo and Spritz Sulfur Rigo.

Equo:
Equo is like emerge in a sense. I define it as a command-line based package manager. Some basic commands are:
  • equo install- This is similar to emerge. For example: equo install amarok will install the KDE music player amarok and it all of it's dependencies.
  • equo search - This is similar to emerge search package or eix.
  • equo update - This will sync your database (called client-side database) with our database (called server-side database). This is similar to emerge --sync.
  • equo --info - this shows your computer's info. We (meaning the Entropy Team and debuggers) need this information more often then not so we can properly troubleshoot your issues.
  • equo --version - this shows your equo version, which we also use for troubleshooting.
  • equo status - this shows repository statuses and lists the repos you have available. It also lists the checksum and it's revision number. Very helpful if you think you have a corrupted database.
  • equo cleanup - this is a great tool. It cleans your temp directories and removes downloaded packages (not the installed application the tar file that it comes in). This is great for clearing up hard drive space that Entropy takes up.
  • equo security update - This downloads the latest GLSAs.
  • equo security list --affected - This shows the affected packages that exist on your computer.
  • equo security install - This installs the GLSA updates and fixes affected packages.
  • equo conf update - This updates your configuration files, it's like etc-update. I really don't recommend using equo conf update instead I recommend Spritz Sulfur Rigo.
Spritz Sulfur Rigo:
Spritz Sulfur Rigo is a graphical front-end to Equo. This is a really nice application because it's easier to use then equo and makes it harder to blow your computer six ways from Sunday. I really don't have much explanation here, I just can run down the list of icons and tell you what they do and what they relate to in Equo.
  • The Box Icon: This is called Packages. It's the first thing that you see when you start up Spritz Sulfur Rigo. This tells you what packages are updated and you need to update. Up top are:
    Available: This shows you what packages are available to install.
    Installed: This shows you what packages are installed on your computer.
    Masked: This shows masked packages, packages that cannot be downloaded.
    Package Info: Highlight a package and select this button and you can see extended package information.
  • The Blue Folder: This is the Package Categories icon. This allows you to browse packages via the category.
  • Orange Circle and White Exclamation Point: This is the GLSA security advisories button. This will show you un-applied security patches upon clicking. Up top are:
    Show unapplied: This shows you un-applied security advisories and gives you the options to queue them up in the queue and you can queue them selected or all.
    Show applied: This shows the advisories that are applied.
    Show all: This shows all of the advisories that are available.
    Advisory Information: Select an advisory and click this button to show extended information.
  • The Blue World and White Lines: This shows you your repository revisions and allows you to update them.
  • The White Sheet of Paper: This is allows you to update your configuration files, much like equo conf update.
  • The White Switchboard: This basically is preferences that allows you to edit basic things such as protected directories (directories that Entropy doesn't touch), protected files (files Entropy doesn't touch) and network settings (proxies, speed limits and such).
  • The Box and Disc: This is the queue, all GLSA, packages to be installed, updates and such, go here. Go here to review what you are going to be doing.
  • The Heart Monitor: This is the progress viewer, this is to show you what is happening when doing stuff.
Well that's all I really have to tell you folks. There are some options here I didn't mention, one of which would be the Community Repos. I work mainly server side, not client-side so I really can't tell you much about that. There is some great information though compiled by v00d00. He is pretty knowledgeable about the Community Repos.

Helpful Info:
Entropy Explanation on the Wiki
Community Repos
Sulfur
Rigo
Equo

NOTE:
All of these items are still beta versions. Nothing is really stable as far as I know and as we change items the documentation will become severely out-of-date very quickly. For this reason we recommend the use of the wiki links shown above and probably even more helpful the equo help.

Moderator Edit (May 9, 2011): Changed "Spritz" to "Sulfur" as the name of the Entropy GUI was changed to 'Sulfur' some time ago.

Moderator Edit (May 9, 2013): Changed "Sulfur" to "Rigo" as the Entropy GUI was changed to 'Rigo' some time ago.
On Sabayon @ Freenode: <ColdFlo> im not asking for support <ColdFlo> im asking for help

Richlion
Technological Hen

Purge or Remove ?

Post by Richlion » Sun Jul 25, 2010 20:11

Hello,
I just browsed through the Wiki pages to find the difference between the functions "Purge" and "Remove" in Sulfur. Can someone tell what's the difference? Suppose I don't have any Windows installations and I want to get rid of "wine" from my system and any future updates, should I "Purge" or "Remove" ?

Regards,
Richard

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Re: Getting to Know Entropy - Equo - Spritz

Post by albfneto » Sun Jul 25, 2010 21:48

remove is equivalent to the command "equo remove package", than,purge remove also the config files, equivalent to "equo remove --configfiles package.
if you not more use wine,than you can do the purge command.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

Richlion
Technological Hen

Post by Richlion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:44

albfneto wrote:remove is equivalent to the command "equo remove package", than,purge remove also the config files, equivalent to "equo remove --configfiles package.
if you not more use wine,than you can do the purge command.
Still not sure, if I use "purge", will it also to the "remove"? Or must I do them by myself seperately, first "purge", then "remove"?

Thanks,
Richard

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 17:12

remove uninstalls the application and keeps configuration files (should you decide to reinstall later, configs will be the same).
purge uninstalls the application and removes configuration files.

Richlion
Technological Hen

Post by Richlion » Fri Jul 30, 2010 17:25

8)

tek640
Young Hen

Re: Getting to Know Entropy - Equo - Sulfur

Post by tek640 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 17:51

How can i remove unneeded dependencies from packages that already i have uninstall and how to remove orphans?
In ubuntu the command is:

sudo apt-get autoremove
Is there something similar for sabayon?

lowks
Baby Hen

Re: Getting to Know Entropy - Equo - Sulfur

Post by lowks » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41

equo query files <package name>
is equivalent of