Latest Software

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Omnomnom9
Young Hen

Latest Software

Post by Omnomnom9 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 16:09

Hi,

Why does Sabayon take so long for providing the latest software (e.g. new browser versions (firefox), or Java IDE Eclipse is not updated since 2015)?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Latest Software

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:13

Where do you get that impression from? Do you update the package database (# equo update)? Firefox 69.0.1 is in the Entropy repository and Eclipse ECJ 4.5.1 -- the latest stable version of Eclipse ECJ in the Gentoo Linux ebuild repository from which Sabayon Linux builds the vast majority of Entropy packages -- has been there since 2016, which is more up-to-date than e.g. Ubuntu provides. If you want to use unstable packages you could try installing eclipse-ecj 4.13 from the testing/unstable branch of Gentoo Linux using Portage, although that is not officially supported in Sabayon Linux and you are unlikely to get any help if it does not work.

Omnomnom9
Young Hen

Post by Omnomnom9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 15:04

Firefox 70 is available on e.g. arch since 2019-10-21 according to their package site and it's in limbo now.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Wed Oct 30, 2019 20:49

Arch is extremely fast on updates for a large number of packages. If you always want the fastest updates, it is a better choice of a distro for you. That said, when I tried Arch, I got a completely unrecoverable system just performing updates after using it for about 4 months. Maybe I was just unlucky, or maybe it has something to do with how quickly they push out updates.

The point being, there is value in delaying releases to ensure functional testing. There's obviously a trade-off between having relevant packages and having the most stable packages.

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Fri Nov 01, 2019 20:04

Remember, Sabayon depends on its upstream, means Gentoo.
Firefox 70 got into Portage 31-Oct-2019 17:09 and 70.0.1 31-Oct-2019 19:09.
It requires some days till it gets into mainline Sabayon and some more to get into weekly.

For eclipse, just grab the Linux package from their site. Worked fine for me the last time.

Even if users are encouraged to use Sabayon's package manager Entropy to prevent problems, there are alternate ways of installing software if you know what you are doing. Never suffered under the issue of the latest version of anything not available in Entropy ;)