Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4: Stable Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Postby enderandrew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:17

If you have a whole bunch of people all trying to download a brand new torrent, and there aren't any seeders yet, you're going to get very slow downloads. I bet after a few days, if people are nice and continuing to seed the DVDs once they've downloaded them, you'll get normal download speeds across the board.

There are people who are trying to recreate the way all net traffic and routers are handled, so that repeated information isn't actually stored repeatedly in routers. If multiple people are downloading the same packet of information and it is passing through common sources, then the router would only need to read and store that data once, and pass it along to the various people faster. However this is all theory, and doesn't exist in reality so much yet.

I downloaded the 32-bit DVD from one FTP mirror pretty quickly for my old laptop and I still can't boot it. In many ways I think Sabayon is the most appealing disto in concept, and I can't wait to try it out. So far I am horribly disappointed in execution however. In searching the forums, countless people reported the problems, and they were all told it must be a bad download or a bad burn. This isn't the case. There is a very real issue with the kernel not detecting a variety of IDE chipsets correctly with this SATA emulation or whatever. One of Linux and Gentoo's greatest strengths is the ability to support a variety of hardware. Why have a i686 release if you don't actually have any intention of supporting older hardware? Why not solely compile for P4s, Core Duos, and AMD 64 platforms then?

I'm not sure which is more frustrating, the fact that the installer won't boot, or the fact that the end users keep getting blamed for a known problem. There are other kernels out there. There are other methods to make LiveDVDs. So far I've wasted several days, tons of bandwidth and 4 DVDs trying every version I can get my hands on to no avail.

I had also intended to put the 64-bit version on my wife's laptop (a much newer laptop running Kubuntu at the moment) at my brand new desktop which is sadly only running Windows until I set up a Linux dual-boot. I was very determined to put Sabayon on all three boxes and start recommending it to people in place of SuSe (because of the damned Novell deal) and Kubuntu (too locked down, and all kinds of problems) for the average end user who needs a typical install process. I've always loved Gentoo and had really hoped Sabayon was going to be the answer.

At the moment, it appears it is not.
enderandrew
Young Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:02

enderandrew wrote:I bet after a few days, if people are nice and continuing to seed the DVDs once they've downloaded them

is not true ... you are in trouble when you upload data at you full pipe speed ... for me was to the case, sabayon v3.4 torrent download experience make me very happy .... beautiful experience, compared with v3.26 or v3.3 experience for example .... only a sign of how much widespread is sabayon linux now ...

enderandrew wrote:There are people who are trying to recreate the way all net traffic and routers are handled, so that repeated information isn't actually stored repeatedly in routers.

the problem is not in storing repeated information, but in how much repeated information you can store, you know nothing is really free as a free beer, and how to sincronize and keep in a coherent state that information across all internet ... in this area academic research is newer ending ...

enderandrew wrote:Why have a i686 release if you don't actually have any intention of supporting older hardware? Why not solely compile for P4s, Core Duos, and AMD 64 platforms then?

where is you offer to store it? is all about resource management ....

enderandrew wrote:I'm not sure which is more frustrating, the fact that the installer won't boot, or the fact that the end users keep getting blamed for a known problem.

i hope that is not the case for sabayon ... but is true chat sometimes even know problems can live for a long time is problem is serious and need a lot of work .... is sabayon lying, telling you that for it will not be the case to be true also?

enderandrew wrote:There are other kernels out there. There are other methods to make LiveDVDs. So far I've wasted several days, tons of bandwidth and 4 DVDs trying every version I can get my hands on to no avail.

not all of us are lucky ... not yet ... ;-p

enderandrew wrote:At the moment, it appears it is not.

sabayon linux is not a trouble free journey ... not yet .... but as you can see that a lot of us like it as is now, and this can be a sign that is not all wrong in how sabayon try to do things ....
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby ThinkBayon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:27

I've had my office computer downloading/seeding for a couple days now, and am averaging a solid 180KB/s upload speed (max for my connection). The main problem is that the torrent seems to be, in a word, "buggy": Often quitting and re-opening Bittorrent (Windows) results in haveing 30+ peers, but after an hour or two, my peers dwindles to the single digits, usually about 4. I've had this happen with a couple other torrents though.

Anyway, I think that, especially with all the s**t-fighting going on at Gentoo, this project has a ton of potential, so I'll be seeding this DVD image for at least the next few weeks, depending.
ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Postby Gigadelic IIDX » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:31

i downloaded this torrent 3 times now and all 3 times the hash checks come back shitty 121 pieces failed to download could someone fix this?
Gigadelic IIDX
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:39

how can that be when bittorrent has self integrity checks?? Everyone's torrent would be bad and that is just not happening
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby edgevision » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:45

I personally got fed up with BitTorrent and use uTorrent instead, it's lightweight and even has a wicked AJAX web interface ;)
edgevision
Growing Hen

Postby enderandrew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:54

On Windows I heavily recommend Shareaza which is a full-featured P2P program that connects to Gnutella, Gnutella2, and eMule networks, while simultaneously handled bitTorrents.

On Linux mlDonkey is a similiar program that handles multiple networks via plugins.

There is also KTorrent if you use KDE, which is probably the fastest, and most light-weight torrent app I've used on any platform.
enderandrew
Young Hen

Postby RedShirt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:02

For Windows users, I would recommend μTorrent. I had no issues downloading, or burning Sabayon 3.4.
RedShirt
Simple Hen

Postby archang3l » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:18

Whats the best way of downloading 3.4? So far Ive tried downloading it via torrent but the dl speed was crawling at 5kb/s at best so I tried one of the ftp mirrors.

This approach has worked flawlessly in the past and was the method I used to dl 3.3 and many other distros with no problems. For some reason when I try dl'ing SL 3.4 from ftp it fails every time at various points due to errors like server connection being reset, timing out and on one occasion got to 99% before stating that there was not enough space on the disk (my hd partition had just enough space for there not to be a problem).
Has anybody successfully managed to download via ftp?

Also had a look at the http mirrors and only found 3.4-x86 for download in a 143mb iso format. Is this a live cd only iso?

Am I going wrong somewhere or am I going to have to stick with the torrent and hope that speed increases as demand lessens? If it makes any difference Im using the ABC torrent client.

Cant even go back to 3.3 for the time being as my atheros card isnt supported!

Any help is much appreciated!
archang3l
Baby Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 26, 2007 14:40

urrr ... man ... the best bittorrent client is AZUREUS ... period .... and with latest java jdk is blazing fast, and polished, and stable ... why you torture yourself with things of the past like μTorrent & c++ friends !?

:oops: :oops: :oops:
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Press Releases