Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4: Stable Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Postby mktyap » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:50

gallienus wrote:We need Seeders! There are only two seeding the 64-bit version.

If theres a xdelta for loop3 to 3.4-final it may help the bandwidth a bit. Many still have the loop3.iso no?
Is there a xdelta coming ??
mktyap
Simple Hen

Postby enderandrew » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:10

I'd love to give this a try.

However, before I download and burn two more DVDs, I'm curious if this addresses the issue the loop releases had with IDE based DVD drives.
enderandrew
Young Hen

Postby lxnay » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:26

enderandrew wrote:However, before I download and burn two more DVDs, I'm curious if this addresses the issue the loop releases had with IDE based DVD drives.

as long as you have a ICH8M controller, yes!
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Thrice » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:31

I completely support regular releases, but I think I might sit this one out. I don't see anything I might use except for wine doors & maybe compiz.
Thrice
Growing Hen

Postby Yorper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02

lxnay wrote:
Yorper wrote:The release says it it using kernel 2.6.22. Now is it actually using the exploitable 2.6.22 or is it using the exploit fixed 2.6.22.1 kernel, which was released 14 days ago?

Excellant and thanks for a quick reply. Im looking forward to trying this out, if this torrent ever finishes. :P
Yorper
Baby Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:27

I can only get around 0.4kb/s download speed, what is going on here?

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby williedapimp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 16:21

Downloading now.... I've been waiting for this release for a long time....Actually four months isn't that long but with a distro like this two days would have been a long time. Thanks for the great work devs. I know that this release will be the best one by far.
williedapimp
Baby Hen

Postby brodders » Wed Jul 25, 2007 16:41

Guys,

I'm going to have to pull my 100% torrent upload soon. Now seeding for about 16 hours and only uploaded 1.3 gigs - yet it's killing my net access; doing anything is painful and x20 as long.

Y'know, I'm wondering if torrent is the way to go with distro distribution.

I read Cringely - and every now & again he goes on about TV over the Internet. Seems like this was always intended and the "broadcast" protocol was built in from day 1. This supports a broadcast from a central server which is then re-broadcast from proxies. Now, if a distro was set up like that in a circular buffer - the central server just broadcasts the distro in a loop for days and people just access this from - where ever they find it; it will wrap around in a while and there you go. All the extra load is on the proxies.

That possible??

Perhaps a more modern version is a "digital radio stream" that should amount to the same thing.

The thing that amazes me is that - for torrents, the overhead and management seems to suck up just as much bandwidth as the data txfers! IF I limit the number who can access the feed, the throughput rises. It seems like there is a lot of digital pushing & shoving / elbowing going on.

This must have been fixed before!
brodders
Simple Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Wed Jul 25, 2007 19:00

Lxnay and the rest of the team... I present to you the..........

"Exceptional Customer Experience Award !!!" :)

(Did anyone notice that nice popup when you start the DVD in Windows , a popup comes up if you want to start Sabayon with VMware with a direct Link...very nice)
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby totedati » Thu Jul 26, 2007 0:32

brodders wrote:yet it's killing my net access; doing anything is painful and x20 as long.

man, don't do it to your full pipe speed, decrease it by a bit, 10-20 kb lower than your full pipe speed, both for download and upload, and you torrent will be happy, and you browse + chat + email experience also .... for browsing use a local cache, like squid, maybe too heavy, or scache ...

brodders wrote:Y'know, I'm wondering if torrent is the way to go with distro distribution.

it is, period ... no more discussion here i hope, if you think this problem in a logical way ... for example for me this time torrent download quality was excelent ... is only a sign, for me and lxnay i hope, that is good news and sabayon is more and more popular and its distributing infrastructure better .... problem can be only because low seeds numbers, or poor ISP performance and/or policy vs. torrent in his gardens .... i hope discussion is over about this ....

brodders wrote:I read Cringely - and every now & again he goes on about TV over the Internet. Seems like this was always intended and the "broadcast" protocol was built in from day 1. This supports a broadcast from a central server which is then re-broadcast from proxies. Now, if a distro was set up like that in a circular buffer - the central server just broadcasts the distro in a loop for days and people just access this from - where ever they find it; it will wrap around in a while and there you go. All the extra load is on the proxies.

and you pay extra cash buck's for that privilege .... for this type of things that flag was reserved ....
how you can hope that can be better than torrent way when so many ISP is so grumpy about 'too many torrents in my garden' !? quote "All the extra load is on the proxies.", you see the problem here? in torrent way the proxies where us ... nothing is free as a 'free beer' ....
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479
totedati
Technological Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Press Releases