March 25th, 2007 - The Internet:
"Sabayon is an Italian dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, a sweet liquor (usually Marsala wine), and sometimes cream or whole eggs. It is a very light custard, which has been whipped to incorporate a large amount of air." Source: Wikipedia.
SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 miniEdition, commonly called the "mini", is the CD release of the latest SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 DVD. The creation of this special version, has been made with an automatic script that shrinks down the whole chroot jail by removing every duplicated, useless or server-oriented package. The multimedia features of these special editions are kept intact. So, enjoy that beautiful piece of software on a single CD!
New features (F) and bug fixes (B) since SabayonLinux 3.20 (DVD)
- F: K3B updated to 1.0
- B: Sabayon Linux Installer fixes (including the ones reported in 3.3)
- F: Added VIA OpenChrome GFX drivers
- F: Updated gpu-detector to the work accordingly to the new feature listed above
- F: Updated to Beryl 0.2.0
- F: Updated IVTV driver to 0.10.0
- F: Updated rt2500 driver to 20070323 CVS snapshot
- B: Fixed pppoe-setup scripts
- F: Updated ndiswrapper to 1.39
- F: Binary packages support through a simple binhost (Alpha release - read below)
Project Entropy continues to attract users' curiosity: what is that? Easy answer, Entropy is a complete software stack that works on top of the Gentoo Portage repository. Its architecture is designed to provide the maximum flexibility and scalability and is composed by 3 developer/server-side applications: Enzyme, Reagent and Activator; 2 user-side ones: Equilibrium and its API.
Question: What is what?
- Enzyme: the Portage tree manager and build tool.
- Reagent: the Entropy specifications writer. For each binary package, this tool write a specification file that describes its information.
- Activator: the Entropy binary packages uploader. It manages a set of mirrors keeping them updated automatically. It also does QA tests.
- Equilibrium: the Entropy stack user client that will be interfaced to a GUI through its API.
- Complete interaction between source-based packages and binary-based ones, keeping Gentoo Linux compatibility intact. Sabayon Linux will be the first Linux distribution to actively support both worlds (source,binary)
- Gentoo Portage independence when using Entropy binary packages repository
- No more compilation issues and their waste of time
- Full dependency and reverse dependency management
- GUI connectivity trough the future Equilibrium API
- Extreme developer-side packages building flexibility and speed
- Much, much more...
At the moment, Enzyme and Reagent are well structured and work quite well. Activator is starting to do some funny things and Equilibrium does not exist yet.
Currently, we are filling our preliminary binary packages repository that is still based on what Portage and emerge say.
To test the installation of the currently available binary packages, try to run, as root:
Where <package name> is the name of an application, you can browse this list using Kuroo.
Code: Select all
binmerge <package name>
Firstly, we need to test the amount of bandwidth needed to maintain such repository, secondly, we have to complete Activator and Equilibrium before moving away from this "binmerge" emerge hook.
Question: What is the RoadMap?
More or less, the roadmap consists of these milestones:
- Complete Reagent module with basic features [DONE]
- Complete Enzyme module with basic features [DONE]
- Complete Activator module with basic features [WORK IN PROGRESS]
- Consolidate the server stack [NOT DONE]
- Complete Equilibrium [NOT DONE]
- Interface a GUI to Equilibrium [NOT DONE]
Hard question... It's done when it's done
We really want to thank all the members of our crazy Beta Testing Team. Thanks!
RESOURCES for SabayonLinux 3.3 miniEdition:
GIVE BACK A DONATION TO US - If you would like to support our Open Source project, please consider to download or purchase a real DVD from here:
- The Linux Store
ISO - Torrents:
- SabayonLinux x86 3.3 miniEdition Torrent download
- SabayonLinux x86-64 3.3 miniEdition Torrent download
ISO - Mirrors:
- Available in 24/48 hours. Please use the links above.
- Sabayon Linux x86 3.3 miniEdition MD5SUM
- Sabayon Linux x86_64 3.3 miniEdition MD5SUM
- Sabayon Linux x86 3.3 miniEdition Linux kernel configuration
- Sabayon Linux x86-64 3.3 miniEdition Linux kernel configuration
- SabayonLinux x86 3.3 miniEdition Package list
- SabayonLinux x86-64 miniEdition 3.3 Package list
- Extra documentation
- We encourage you to use 3.3 iso as a base and patch as this is the most efficient mode of transfer for such bug fixes and then set up to seed the torrent for those that cannot. Make sure you check your md5sums!
- As of linux kernel 2.6.19, all hard drives are seen as sd* through SCSI emulation. As such, our installer compensates for this and does its best to query your hardware set up and properly set grub and fstab during installation time. You must upgrade your installer for the latest fixes. If you run into problems with this, please file a bug report at bugs.sabayonlinux.org
- This distribution contains libdvdcss look here if you live in the U.S. !.
- This distribution contains proprietary and non-GPL softwares too (like from NVIDIA, ATI, Google, etc). Before running them, be sure to read their license and agree with that, otherwise, just remove those applications. To run SabayonLinux without Proprietary drivers, just use "noproprietary" boot flag.
- Trademarks are property of their respective owners, everywhere.
Using this feature, you can upgrade any Gentoo-based installation (Gentoo, VLOS, RR4, RR64) to the latest SabayonLinux without losing your personal data and settings. Our Team, however, will only actively support the upgrades using SabayonLinux as base.
Also, you can:
- 6th senseing your running system: installed packages will be updated to the ones on the DVD and the conflicting ones automatically removed.
- You can fix your current installation by choosing to reinstall every package, This will take a lot of time but will resurrect your SabayonLinux installation in cases of hard damaging.
- You could (even if it's not so much tested) even upgrade your 32bit installation to a powerful 64bit one (but not the contrary) by using the function described above.
- You can re-configure/reinstall your GRUB (Boot) settings/ without touching any configuration file and/or command line.