Directly from our Server dept., four new Sabayon releases officially thrown to the crowd!
These releases all go under the "Core" umbrella: they are not meant for beginners, hence the name.
- SpinBase is a very minimal environment that can be used for many different purposes: didactical, home server deployment, but even for custom Sabayon ISO images creation, using our tool called Molecule). Any Sabayon release we make is based on SpinBase.
- CoreCDX instead, is geared towards very minimal graphical environment setup, no fancy tools, browsers, whatever, just Fluxbox and command-line. You set the rule.
- ServerBase is very similar to SpinBase, but powered by a server-optimized Linux kernel (package: sys-kernel/linux-server)
- OpenVZ is our official OpenVZ template.
All of them have a smaller footprint making them fit into a single CD, or USB memory sticks.
SpinBase and ServerBase are provided with a very minimal Anaconda Installer and CoreCDX should be preferred for non-standard filesystem/partition layouts.
Features of Sabayon 6 Core:
- Bootable Image suitable for a CD or USB thumb drive
- Shipped with Desktop-optimized Linux kernel 2.6.39
- ext4 filesystem as default, btrfs, encrypted filesystem support
- Installable in less than 5 minutes
- Completely customizable system after install, thanks to Entropy package sets it's possible to install GNOME, KDE or X.Org in no time.
- Entropy and Portage ready (giving access to thousands of installable packages)
- Bringing Entropy Framework 1.0_alpha14
- Providing extra Server-optimized, OpenVZ-enabled, Vserver-enabled kernels in repositories
- an i686-compatible Processor
- 128/256Mb RAM
- 2 to 3 GB of free space
These releases are targeted to advanced users who want to take full control of the features and packages installed on their system. Sabayon's Entropy package manager can be utilized as soon as the release is installed to quickly build out the installation based on the users exact requirements.
Networking Notes: advanced user skills may be necessary to implement networking on these releases. They can provide simple dhcp networking over wired networks by default. Most advanced networking configurations will require configuration by the user.
- Sabayon Linux 6 amd64 SpinBase:
- Sabayon Linux 6 x86 SpinBase:
- Sabayon Linux 6 amd64 CoreCDX:
- Sabayon Linux 6 x86 CoreCDX:
- Sabayon Linux 6 amd64 ServerBase:
- Sabayon Linux 6 x86 ServerBase:
- Sabayon Linux 6 amd64 OpenVZ:
- Sabayon Linux 6 x86 OpenVZ:
- Sabayon Mirrors Page
- Sabayon Bittorrent Tracker
Thanks everybody involved!