Sabayon Linux 5.5 SpinBase and CoreCDX: Stable Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Sabayon Linux 5.5 SpinBase and CoreCDX: Stable Release

Postby lxnay » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:58

Press Release: Sabayon Linux 5.5 SpinBase and CoreCDX
codename: Fermi (as in Enrico Fermi)

Directly from our Server dept., two new Sabayon editions officially thrown to the crowd!
They are called SpinBase and CoreCDX, but wait, what are they about?
SpinBase is a very minimal environment that can be used for many different purposes: didactical, home server deployment, but even for custom Sabayon ISO images creation, using our tool called Molecule). Any Sabayon release we make is based on SpinBase.
CoreCDX instead, is geared towards very minimal graphical environment setup, no fancy tools, browsers, whatever, just Fluxbox and command-line. You set the rule.

SpinBase and CoreCDX have a smaller footprint making them fit into a single CD, or USB memory sticks.

Features of Sabayon 5.5 SpinBase and CoreCDX:
  • Bootable Image suitable for a CD or USB thumb drive (~370MB-425MB for SpinBase, ~470MB-525MB for CoreCDX)
  • Shipped with Desktop-optimized Linux kernel 2.6.37 (Group Scheduling patch, Tuxonice, AUFS2.1) and Glibc 2.11
  • Ext4 filesystem as default, btrfs (experimental), encrypted (luks) filesystem support
  • Installable in less than 5 minutes
  • Completely customizable system after install, thanks to Entropy package sets it's possible to install GNOME, KDE or X.Org in no time.
  • Entropy and Portage ready (giving access to thousands of installable packages)
  • Bringing Entropy Framework 1.0_alpha14
  • Providing extra Server-optimized, OpenVZ-enabled, Vserver-enabled kernels in repositories

Minimum Requirements:
- an i686-compatible Processor (Intel Pentium II/III, Celeron, AMD Athlon)
- 128Mb RAM
- 2 to 3 GB of free space

These releases are targeted to advanced users who want to take full control of the features and packages installed on their system. Sabayon's Entropy package manager can be utilized as soon as the release is installed to quickly build out the installation based on the users exact requirements. SpinBase/CoreCDX has also has the capability to install packages using the Portage package management system.

For more information, please see the "Visual Tour: SpinBase" on Sabayon's Wiki.

Networking Notes: advanced user skills may be necessary to implement networking on these releases. They can provide simple dhcp networking over wired networks by default. Most advanced networking configurations will require configuration by the user.

Download sources
ISO images (those little .iso files that you have download and burn) are available on our mirrors:
  • Sabayon Linux 5.5 amd64 SpinBase:
    18db9c3175af21d6569771944ca29126 Sabayon_Linux_SpinBase_5.5_amd64.iso
  • Sabayon Linux 5.5 x86 SpinBase:
    ee84b49f4b41f54e822ed67710240c7d Sabayon_Linux_SpinBase_5.5_x86.iso
  • Sabayon Linux 5.5 amd64 CoreCDX:
    ac6310dd1fae9fe4b4bc8395120f4d48 Sabayon_Linux_CoreCDX_5.5_amd64.iso
  • Sabayon Linux 5.5 x86 CoreCDX:
    ebe2981f12b12449f230dc9b7f5b307e Sabayon_Linux_CoreCDX_5.5_x86.iso
  • Sabayon Mirrors Page
  • Sabayon Bittorrent Tracker

Thanks everybody involved!
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.5 SpinBase and CoreCDX: Stable Release

Postby timothyRlamora » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03

Awesome Thank you!!!
timothyRlamora
Growing Hen

Postby coretux » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01

Right yesterday I was thinking about trying Corecdx! Great! Thank you
coretux
Baby Hen

Postby gtgt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 18:19

Great! I think time to try Sabayon again!

I tried around version 4.2, because I wanted win compile time. But since I'm quite experienced gentoo user, I didn't found it flexible enough and I spent quite lot time to clean unwanted parts from it. I think at least the second problem solved by far, the first problem I'll see after install :)
gtgt
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 19:36

gtgt, if you want to try specifically the SpinBase or CoreCDX releases, I think you would probably be better off waiting until the developers release version 6 of those, otherwise you're going to have to roll from 5.5. to current as soon as you install. OK, there are less packages on these two 'cut-down' releases (e.g. http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayo ... so.pkglist lists 521 packages) than other SL releases (http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayo ... so.pkglist lists 1015 packages), but it might be better to hang on. Up to you, though.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby gtgt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 20:57

Thanks for suggestion. You are right! I'll play on VirtualBox until 6 will come out. What you think, when will that happen?

Anyways, I have time, because I planned it to my netbook which have already an Ububtu based distro which I don't like, but can use until :)
Needless to say that I tried many-many distros, but never find any better then gentoo. No doubt, gentoo is best. Only one thing I want now: a good binary based gentoo distro for my desktops/laptops/nettops/etc. which didn't loose the gentoo flexibility that much. I tried every possible, but something was always wrong. Now, this new version is a hope :)
gtgt
Baby Hen

Return to Press Releases