Sabayon Linux 5.3 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.3 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Post by Antidieu » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:20

Yet another amazing release, unfortunatly it didn't fix the faulty Intel drivers, wich cause distorted video rectangles at the bottom of the playing area. It just happens when playing video files with XV Textured Video (default one) selected on either gstreamer-properties or player settings. Odd enough, the problem disappears when I activate Compiz Fusion 3D desktop.

Nor did it fix the bluetooth device detection issue when booting up my machine, I've got to enable the bluetooth by either turning off and back on via hardware Fn keys or by suspending and resuming the laptop. Both issues have been around since Sabayon 5.2 on both Gnome and KDE editions.

And I've not been able to dimm panel backlight since quite a while and since KMS forced enabling it's not even possible to adjust the brightness on my monitor with xrandr, instead I've had to use setpci. :(

A great work with this release though! Sabayon has the perfect balance between bleeding edge and stability. Just avoid installing Sabayon or any other Linux distro on "Intelish" laptops, i.e. with a recent Intel graphics device on them, very problematic these kids.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:39

ReemZ wrote:
wolfden wrote:This isn't for support, if you have problems or questions, please open a new topic. For kernels:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... nformation

Sabayon is a rolling system with entropy, so if you keep it updated, you are pretty much 5.3, won't be 100% identical. Kernels are something you have to install via package manager, we don't automatically push them upon the people as the people don't understand kernel upgrades. People don't understand once you upgrade kernel that you have to also upgrade all your modules and drivers. Please use a new topic if you have questions or problems.
I wasn't asking for support, I was merely stating that I did get that new kernel without asking for it.
The mediabutton remark was merely a sidenote, to show that it messed up things.
wolfden wrote:as stated, kernel pulls are not automatic, see above
Guess what we need here is a definition of "automatic"...

Anyways, I burned 5.3, gonna try a fresh install and hope it brings it all back to life.
Automatic, as in a equo update && equo upgrade should not pull a new kernel. We stopping doing that as it was making a mess for people as people didn't know how to handle a kernel change nor pay attention to what was being updated. So now, the user has to invoke the package manager to grab the latest kernel. See for reference http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... nformation We no longer let the package manager automatically pull the kernel after that release.

I stated this wasn't a support thread as a general statement to everyone, not directed towards anyone. It's too much of a mess to try and do support here, much easier to open a new topic.

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14

wolfden wrote:Automatic, as in a equo update && equo upgrade should not pull a new kernel.
It shouldn't, but in my case it did. Thought I should let you know...

sjieke
Technological Hen

Post by sjieke » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:35

Maybe there is something wrong as 2 days ago an 'equo upgrade' also installed the new kernel (.34) on my system.

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Wed Jun 09, 2010 0:20

sjieke wrote:Maybe there is something wrong as 2 days ago an 'equo upgrade' also installed the new kernel (.34) on my system.
Hope it didn't give you any probs mate, but selfishly speaking it's good to know it's not just me!

Quantum
Baby Hen

Post by Quantum » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:44

I love Sabayon, i had installed it since 5.1 and there has been no KDE crash since 5.2. Good work on everything!
im impressed and impressing others with it ^^

i do understand kernel upgrades and how to install modules as i did it to go from 2.6.31 to 2.6.33. i just want to add that in my case, 2 weeks ago an equo upgrade had installed 2.6.34 and lists it in grub as well, and finally (in same equo upgrade) installed 2.6.33 so no harm done at all. thought people might want to know, maybe you should see why some people are getting the new kernel "automatically" ...

sjieke
Technological Hen

Post by sjieke » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00

ReemZ wrote:
sjieke wrote:Maybe there is something wrong as 2 days ago an 'equo upgrade' also installed the new kernel (.34) on my system.
Hope it didn't give you any probs mate, but selfishly speaking it's good to know it's not just me!
No it didn't give any probs, it was a 5 min. fix (installingen video drivers for the new kernel :)) Since it is stated here on the forums that kernel updates are not automatic I didn't look for it when reviewing the +- 260 packages to be updated (I was some time away from my pc...). If I had known it still could happen, I would have looked especially for the kernel update and would have known to install the updated modules before reboot. It only cost be an extra reboot so no harm done :D

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:20

Yeah sorry about that, we had a small time frame where Entropy pulled in the new kernel due to a badly written package dependency (ati-drivers).
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

Richlion
Technological Hen

Post by Richlion » Wed Jun 09, 2010 19:02

clowenstein wrote:I believe that there is a fatal flaw in the Sabayon 5.3 BitTorrent control files. They all seem to have a fixed storage path built in, namely "/sabayon/iso/". This means that the ISO files can not be downloaded unless the user can create files in the root file system.

Previous releases (5.2 and earlier) did not have any storage path in the .torrent files, so that downloads could be done in any directory accessible to the user.
I noticed the same problem, however today in Ktorrent all I did was clicked on the field with the location and removed the /sabayon... folder and everything worked.

I would appreciate if the file names would show which versions are 32 or 64 bit. I need the 32-bit Intel version for my old laptop and the 64-bit Intel version too:
http://tracker.sabayon.org/
From that table I cannot figure out - does this ISO :
Sabayon_Linux_5.3_x86_K.iso (Sabayon 5.3 x86 KDE)
have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions?

Regards
Richard

_cnfss_
Growing Hen

Post by _cnfss_ » Wed Jun 09, 2010 19:13

Richard,
x86 means 32-bits, amd64 means 64bits, but AFAIK this are the only two categories in processors in Sabayon, I haven't seen anything like ia64 or x86_64... so if you need a 32-bits it's x86, but if you need a 64, you could try using amd64...