Sabayon Linux 5.3 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
baskin
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.3 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Post by baskin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 15:31

So all the other packages are updated to 5.3 and the only thing i have to do is to update the kernel as well?

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Sun Jun 06, 2010 16:21

joost wrote:We don't force kernel updates, you can install it yourself IF you want.
Just keep in mind to install the needed drivers too if you do.
Not entirely true... 'equo upgrade' dumped the .34 kernel on me (and for some reason after that, my media buttons stopped working, not even giving any output in xev, and reverting to .33 didn't solve that)

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sun Jun 06, 2010 16:52

This isn't for support, if you have problems or questions, please open a new topic. For kernels:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... nformation

Sabayon is a rolling system with entropy, so if you keep it updated, you are pretty much 5.3, won't be 100% identical. Kernels are something you have to install via package manager, we don't automatically push them upon the people as the people don't understand kernel upgrades. People don't understand once you upgrade kernel that you have to also upgrade all your modules and drivers. Please use a new topic if you have questions or problems.

Richlion
Technological Hen

Post by Richlion » Sun Jun 06, 2010 22:11

I've been with 5.2 and used Sulfur all the time to update my system. Even the whole KDE update went without a single glitch. I must say I am impressed, all updates so far not a single problem. I've never had such a stable Linux on KDE.
Sabayon is the best distro around so far for me.
Well done.

By the way, where can I check which version of SL I am on? KDE is 4.4.3 and the kernel is 2.6.33.

Richard.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:57

Richlion wrote:I've been with 5.2 and used Sulfur all the time to update my system. Even the whole KDE update went without a single glitch. I must say I am impressed, all updates so far not a single problem. I've never had such a stable Linux on KDE.
Sabayon is the best distro around so far for me.
Well done.

By the way, where can I check which version of SL I am on? KDE is 4.4.3 and the kernel is 2.6.33.

Richard.
as stated, kernel pulls are not automatic, see above

_cnfss_
Growing Hen

Post by _cnfss_ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 13:34

Congratulations about the new release!! ;)

Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Post by Thev00d00 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 15:07

Woohoo! :lol:
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 17:13

wolfden wrote:This isn't for support, if you have problems or questions, please open a new topic. For kernels:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... nformation

Sabayon is a rolling system with entropy, so if you keep it updated, you are pretty much 5.3, won't be 100% identical. Kernels are something you have to install via package manager, we don't automatically push them upon the people as the people don't understand kernel upgrades. People don't understand once you upgrade kernel that you have to also upgrade all your modules and drivers. Please use a new topic if you have questions or problems.
I wasn't asking for support, I was merely stating that I did get that new kernel without asking for it.
The mediabutton remark was merely a sidenote, to show that it messed up things.
wolfden wrote:as stated, kernel pulls are not automatic, see above
Guess what we need here is a definition of "automatic"...

Anyways, I burned 5.3, gonna try a fresh install and hope it brings it all back to life.

baskin
Baby Hen

Post by baskin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 18:21

Ok it was very easy. Upgraded to kernel 2.6.34, installed ati driver for this kernel as well as Vbox modules and everything is right. I also removed old kernel and old modules and made a resize of the partition that holds Sabayon to make some space.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!!!!!

P.S. When we expect to see KDE 4.4.4 packages?

clowenstein
Baby Hen

Post by clowenstein » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:49

I believe that there is a fatal flaw in the Sabayon 5.3 BitTorrent control files. They all seem to have a fixed storage path built in, namely "/sabayon/iso/". This means that the ISO files can not be downloaded unless the user can create files in the root file system.

Previous releases (5.2 and earlier) did not have any storage path in the .torrent files, so that downloads could be done in any directory accessible to the user.