Sabayon Linux 5.1-r1 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.1-r1 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby koliksoftware » Wed Dec 16, 2009 16:13

You realize that the login screen is a weak point of your "sexy skin", do you.
koliksoftware
Baby Hen

Postby Wolfdale » Wed Dec 16, 2009 19:34

I like it...

Great release, btw.
Wolfdale
Baby Hen

Postby ashley194 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 22:53

Hi all,

Been distro-hopping for a while, looking for new challenges etc.

Tonight I installed SL 5.1K & have to say I'm blown away by the quality & finesse of this release :-D

That's it for me, I'm home & I'm stayin!
ashley194
Technological Hen

Postby Panuzio » Mon Dec 21, 2009 18:56

Hi all, my idea was that it were - and it is still - sufficient mergcing, in the first post of this thread, this portion of the text wrote by Wolfden.
Now that Fabio has released Sabayon 5.1-r1 mini-dvds, you might be wondering what is up with the -r1 appended to the iso file. This seems to cause confusion every time we do this and we try to avoid it, but we had 5.0 iso and were set to release it, but we discovered some last minute bugs and caused a slight delay in release. So our 5.1 iso was revised to revision 1 to take care of the bugs for release. It’s all good, and no there will not be a -r2 or -r3 release of 5.1. The next release at this time is slotted for a 5.2 release.

Souce: "Sabayon 5.1-r1?"

Only this.
:-D
Panuzio
Advanced Hen

Location: Firenze, Toscana, Italia (Florence, Tuscany, Italy)

Postby ReemZ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 19:48

wolfden wrote:
No more passwords to remember on Live system, just hit the Enter key

:D

Might wanna change that in the Visual Tour ;)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby ReemZ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 18:29

Running it from Live-dvd now, my first impression:

KDE4: looks véry nice, really gotta get used to the different look-and-feel though as I'm súch a KDE3.5-fan lol, but I really love the dark theme. Gonna look into making the taskbar transparant though...
Theme: Ozone súcks, looks bloody térrible, the alternatives look just as shite though. Would have to look into changing this (preferably to good old Frame I use on KDE3.5 with Compiz-Fusion) but haven't done so yet.
Sound: works! For the first time ever, the music-at-boot works! :D
Hope it doesn't do this once installed though as it's a little long, can't be stopped, and would interfere with my own login sound.
XBMC: once I find out how to get sound out of it and how to scroll through a vid (I see a horizontal scrollbar but upon clicking it it doesn't "move", it just pauses the vid) I'm sure I'll love it ;)
Haven't tried booting straight into XBMC yet, will do so after posting this ;)
World Of Goo Demo: doesn't work, won't launch.
Would have to try from Konsole for error messages but haven't done so yet.
(Edit: trying now, but still nothing there, gonna ^C it...oh, how nice, ^C doesn't work!)

Most important things are there though: a working Amarok (and I might even get used to that horrible look but it would be só nice if the bloody thing would remember I maximized it), a working vid player, a working Kopete (not tried cam yet but that's the least of my worries), internet connection without anything to do on my part (wired, not tried wireless yet)...and it's fúckin fast! Bloody dvd boots faster than my SL4 installation :D

I'll be running it Live for a while and mess about with settings, see if I can get it to look and feel exactly the way I want it, might even consider installing it ;) And once I've got it down, I'll be "forcing" this onto family and friends ^^

Keep up the good work!

(btw...Smilies are off?)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby ReemZ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 19:50

Right, back on SL4 again after trying to boot into XBMC from dvd.
Well, the booting part went flawlessly (at least to my untrained eye lol) but as soon as I click (or Enter) one of the menu items the lot freezes, forcing me to use the reset button...no error messages, no ctrl-alt-f'ing into a console, no nothing...
I'll be looking into this and the things I pointed out in my previous post (which is actually more a note-to-self than anything else lol) in the next few days, see if there's anything on the forum about it, and see if I can convince myself into actually saying goodbye to KDE3.5 and installing SL5 :)

First impression: 7/10 :)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 22:11

Hmm looks like I can't even edit my posts now, or is that only in Press Releases?

Anyways, I've installed SL5.1 this Monday, gotta say I'm getting more and more impressed!
Even KDE4's not as buggy anymore as it used to be, I might just get used to it some day lol

Right, let's work through the list in my above posts:
Taskbar: it's not fully opaque anymore, still not completely transparent but have to say this looks véry nice.
Sound: BRILLIANT! And no, the music-at-boot's not there when booting from installed. Good thing too ;)
XMBC: nice nice nice! Once installed, I haz sound! And it works like a charm :D
"Remember" maximized: ok, please hit me, it was just tóó easy, I simply forgot where to look :oops:
World Of Goo I haven't checked yet but it's the least important anyways (as I'd already played the demo before lol) but the only thing still bothering me is that ugly 1983-style window decoration. Basically that's the only thing I need to look into really, I've been messing around with colour settings 'n all but didn't get the result I want.

Think I'm gonna up the grade to 8/10!

Keep it up! :D
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby Suso » Sat Apr 03, 2010 16:05

Excelente!!.
Suso
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Press Releases