Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby Shicy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 0:47

i'll try it, but i'm delighted with 4.2 KDE..hope that 5.0 can be only better ;)
Shicy
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 0:31
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby pepe999 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 21:58

SL 5 looked like a great distro but I had to boot up liveDVD only in safe mode, any other choice ended by black screen. There were also problems with Thunderbird and some other issues. Finally I reformatted my hdd and went back on SL 4.2. I could try SL 5 32 bit so I hope it will be better. I would say that my problem is a conflict between nvidia-drivers and the new kernel 2.6.31. I've never had any problems with my nvidia graphics until now..
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby ashley194 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 22:58

Hi all,

After coming back from Egypt (summer vacation), I had a really great surprise - SL 5 (KDE) :-D

It all installed beautifully & am now the very proud owner of the best distro' out there!

Kudos & many thanks for another great release :-)
ashley194
Technological Hen
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 21:54
Location: Manchester, UK.

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby pepe999 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:54

Hmm, so SL 5 Gnome is not suitable for my laptop, the 32bit version is the same like 64bit. I have to wait till SL 6. It's the same thing like in Ubuntu. Newer distros are worse and worse for me. The best Ubuntu I've had was Gutsy Gibbon(now is Jaunty Jackalope) and the best Sabayon 4.1 Gnome I would say. I appreciate the hard work of everybody who helps to develop SL, but my hardware is not suitable for the latest distribution...:(
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby splippity » Sun Oct 11, 2009 21:25

pepe999 wrote:SL 5 looked like a great distro but I had to boot up liveDVD only in safe mode, any other choice ended by black screen. There were also problems with Thunderbird and some other issues. Finally I reformatted my hdd and went back on SL 4.2. I could try SL 5 32 bit so I hope it will be better. I would say that my problem is a conflict between nvidia-drivers and the new kernel 2.6.31. I've never had any problems with my nvidia graphics until now..


I had same problem
Make sure to run update download installer.
When I did that it installed fine. I ran the installer from safemode as I couldnt get the livedvd to load without having a blank screen,
splippity
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 21:29

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby pepe999 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 19:15

splippity wrote:
pepe999 wrote:SL 5 looked like a great distro but I had to boot up liveDVD only in safe mode, any other choice ended by black screen. There were also problems with Thunderbird and some other issues. Finally I reformatted my hdd and went back on SL 4.2. I could try SL 5 32 bit so I hope it will be better. I would say that my problem is a conflict between nvidia-drivers and the new kernel 2.6.31. I've never had any problems with my nvidia graphics until now..


I had same problem
Make sure to run update download installer.
When I did that it installed fine. I ran the installer from safemode as I couldnt get the livedvd to load without having a blank screen,

Hi,
I've already had the system installed but I couldn't get nvidia-settings to work. I had a proper 1280x800 resolution but graphics wasn't good. Because of that I had problems with shutting down, rebooting and also with Thunderbird. I rebooted once and got a message that my X server has wrong settings so I couldn't boot to X and it's quite bad. I'm planning to buy a brand new laptop so I can manage it by keeping SL 4.2 and then try SL 5 on the new machine. I've installed SL 5 to a friend brand new laptop Enigma(http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk) and everything has been all right..:)
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby vanden9 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 20:25

Hi I have installed Gnome but I also wish to have KDE how does one go about installing KDE on a gnome desktop. Thank you.
vanden9
Young Hen
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:47

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby wolfden » Tue Oct 20, 2009 0:59

vanden9 wrote:Hi I have installed Gnome but I also wish to have KDE how does one go about installing KDE on a gnome desktop. Thank you.


Please see
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... t_to_do.3F
and
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Entropy

the package manager is vital to learn

also, this is not a support thread, so please open a new topic in the correct forum for further assistance
wolfden
Sharecropper
 
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby Theta » Tue Oct 20, 2009 23:02

Hey guys, running Sabayon 5.o (GNOME), and just wanted to stop by and thank you guys for an awesome distro. *hats off*
Theta
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:32

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby iamkrazee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 0:47

Amazing distro.. just like usual.

Although one serious issue, bluetooth is missing. You know, when the amount of packages included is so high, it'd be best to include this tiny stuff, cause where I live, internet is either weak or non-existent. So people prefer Sabayon to the likes of ubuntu and suse because they require repo-sync n downloads n all. I'd really be hoping to see kdebluetooth included in your 5.1... :)

-alok
iamkrazee
Young Hen
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 13:25

PreviousNext

Return to Press Releases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron