Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
totedati
Technological Hen

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Post by totedati » Sat Oct 03, 2009 17:53

Zoide wrote:Before using Sabayon, I used Gentoo for 5 years. I know what I'm doing for a successful upgrade: Like checking the relevancy of possible upgrades before doing so, using the correct command with equo, if some discrepancies affect my system, i'll use revdep-rebuild and so on...
don't mix sistem wide and important gentoo commands, like a revdep-rebuild, with entropy technology commands, like an equo upgrade! this is the source for so many housed sistem from past gentoo, and young sabayon linux, users!

is simply too dangerous! if you are too impacient, after years of so many recompiling hours, with you gentoo way and now want to try entropy quick binary way then stick with it! use equo & comp for all important upgrades and forget about revdep-rebuild ... life will be better ....

use portage only if you want to install an apps unavailable in entropy database and only if is not too many dependent apps pulled in with it ...

n0kS
Baby Hen

Post by n0kS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:19

wolfden wrote:
farfnarf wrote:WARNING!! DO NOT USE THAT CODE AS POSTED!!

Nightmare! I have lost all files and now have no operating system on the hard drive
where Sabayon 4.2 was! I am posting using Vista hard drive.

I ran the code and waited for two hours as "upgrade" was going on. The results are
a system that won't boot up or allow me to log in on a shell screen. I must now
install another linux on that hard drive. NO MORE SABAYON. Losing my files is
too much! Luckily I backed up the files I need for work.

Good luck. BE CAREFUL!!

what on earth are you talking about? what code?
He's talking about hopping branches with equo...
I tested last night upgrading with
equo hop 5
equo update
equp upgrade
Then I went to sleep and when I woke up the OS was completely inoperative... so I had to reinstall sabayon using 4.2 disk I have.

ps: The main problem I saw before reinstalling was that some packages were asking for newer version of python (2.6 or 3.1) and when you changed to the newer version of python to install the packages... then equo wasn't working... so you had to go back to python2.5 for equo to work again but then you couldn't install most of the packages... because they wanted python2.5< ....

ps2: sorry for my english ;P

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:33

You must have screwed up something else. There is absolutely NO Python 3x involved.
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

letoad
Baby Hen

Post by letoad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 16:47

Upgrade also caused problems on my system.

Performed the upgrade and rebooted the machine.
1. Grub screen was unreadable. Just ASCII characters all over the screen.
2. System booted but was unable to start gnome. Missing files.
3. XDM worked , only tried to start Firefox which failed.

Since this at 2am in the morning, I was in no mood to try and fix this.
Did a fresh install and all went smoothly.
Do an upgrade at your own risk. I would recommend doing a fresh install. (Also recommended to keep your home directory on a different partition than the root partition.

Even though the upgrade method failed for me, I am very happy with 5.0. One noticable improvement is with ath5k wireless driver.Download speeds have improved with 4.2 I was getting 920kb/s now 2.2 MB/s. Normally i would install the madwifi drivers but now no longer needed.

Thanks again to the Sabayon team. I am using GNOME (ex KDE junky :) ) and it is stable and fast and all apps work.

Cheers

jasohall
Baby Hen

Post by jasohall » Sun Oct 04, 2009 23:13

Funniest thing I keep seeing in 5.0... there are a lot of spots where the 4 logo is used instead. Example, the open office "about" screens. No biggie really. I love the new look and design, it's everything I could have hoped for. I want to install it but I'm still a little sheepish... the previous version worked out of the box with my broadcom b43 laptop wireless driver. I read the wiki and the steps to enable the driver and obtain firmware however I'm noticing it works in 32 bit but in 64 bit I get errors for masked packages. I've tried a few times and I think I'm not unmasking improperly. My general rule of thumb for any distro, unless I can get my b43 working in the live cd it's just not worth it.

I'm currently deciding whether to install the 32 bit version or continue to mess with the 64 bit version or just give up and try sabayon some other time. I REALLY want to use it, I've been following sabayon since the 3rd version. I just love the look and feel compared to every other distro. I'm currently stuck using kubuntu because it's the only distro that works out of box with my b43 and works but I hate waiting for upgrades.

hantke
Baby Hen

Post by hantke » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:05

wow, kde 4.3 in sanayon 5 is REALY fast,

jasohall
Baby Hen

Post by jasohall » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:08

Still can't get any wireless working in the live cd with my broadcom b43... going to try to install and figure it out with the 32 bit version. (probably needs a reboot) Here goes *grabs his shield* ;). Here goes nothing!

Zoide
Young Hen

Post by Zoide » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:41

don't mix sistem wide and important gentoo commands, like a revdep-rebuild, with entropy technology commands, like an equo upgrade! this is the source for so many housed sistem from past gentoo, and young sabayon linux, users!

is simply too dangerous! if you are too impacient, after years of so many recompiling hours, with you gentoo way and now want to try entropy quick binary way then stick with it! use equo & comp for all important upgrades and forget about revdep-rebuild ... life will be better ....

use portage only if you want to install an apps unavailable in entropy database and only if is not too many dependent apps pulled in with it ...[/quote]

Sure, when I have to use revdep-rebuild, I do this with specific files not available in the entropy repositories and I don't use it with critical files (like gcc) . For yours informations, I use Sabayon for 2 years now.

VeNoMiS
Baby Hen

Post by VeNoMiS » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:08

I've already upgrade to branch 5 (two weeks ago), using

Code: Select all

equo hop 5
equo update
equp upgrade
the system halted during the process and sabayon was unbootable.
Using the live cd you can chroot into your sabayon and continue the installation process.
Only 1 thing, in my case, to get working all the visual apps based on python,like sulfur magneto and soo, you need to install pygtk.
Hope this help
And sorry for the bad english :P

mars
Growing Hen

Post by mars » Mon Oct 05, 2009 13:03

Grazie Fabio e team!

Thank you Fabio and all of the team for bringing this release into reality.
Writing this from a fresh 5.0 kde install, i must give you all the kudos you deserve; it feels great again using this distribution.
The hard work you have done makes my machine run better again.
Thank you so much for your effort and keep up the good job.