Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases

Re: Sabayon Linux 5.0 GNOME and KDE: Stable release

Postby mobilehunter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:04

First of all thank you guys :) with tears.

I'm surprised, when visiting distrowatch.org i didnot expect to see this news in this week.
Downloading and hope my this release can be friend with my pc using old intel graphics.

Thanks again.
mobilehunter
Growing Hen

Postby Zoide » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:27

wolfden wrote:
joost wrote:You can migrate to branch 5 without reinstalling or downloading the DVD.

* Get latest entropy version first
* equo hop 5
* equo update
* equo upgrade

Remember that KDE 3.x is NOT supported anymore. If you have KDE3.x and other KDE3.x depending programs install I recommend to either do a clean Sabayon 5 install, or keep using Sabayon 4.

Remember that we will keep branch 4 in shape with security in mind.

We are planning to keep-alive Branch 5 allot longer. We will stop adding updates to it constantly but instead use the sabayon limbo repository for daily updates. This is a TESTING repository. So it can be a bit rough.

When we create 5.1, all packages from the Limbo repository will go into the mainline repository and become available for everybody. SO yeah that would mean a HUGE patch day. ANd after it you are 5.1 .

If you don't have a problem with daily updates and are a bit more advanced in Linux in general you can add this to /etc/entropy/repositories.conf

Code: Select all
repository|sabayon-limbo|Sabayon Linux Limbo Repository|http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy|http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy#bz2

^^ this is 1 line.

For a successful upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0, you must follow all the steps including the last one: adding the sabayon-limbo repository. After that, you must redo "equo update --force" then "equo world" for the last time.
Zoide
Young Hen

Postby dagurasu » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:54

I've been using it for a week or two now. I upgraded through entropy. Nice job. Curious to see the new encryption installation stuff, but not curious enough since I'm already setup. Anyway, all has been working pretty well. I didn't have much trouble with kde3 stuff getting in the way, but I did write a script to go through my world file and remove it all. Also used the same script to get started on which kde4 packages to grab.. although things have changed so purusing the kde stuff in sulfur helps still. Also I did an "equo world --replay" to just reinstall everything, but that's obviously overkill.

Kde4 is finally mostly useable although I miss some things.. like kuickshow, but not too much. I can't CJK input working either. What's the new network management supposed to be? I've been moving enough that I finally wanted one. I installed wicd since knetworkmanager seems gone now. It seems great though.

I'm not sure what to do about sound in kde4. any suggestions how to rig this since I didn't use the installer? It does work. I have but I get some looped sound glitches sometimes that don't go away until muting and un-muting again, and also "pop's" as.. my guess is the sound pipeline is being reconfigured on the fly for different software, a bit annoying though. Probably not worth debugging, just wondered what to use.. pulseaudio or , not, what priorities in kde etc.

Any new default packages that I should not live without that the installer would have put in by default?

as for farfnarf... wow.. How can you lose all your files by a updating? (I assume you're complaing about personal files.. not sure why you'd be so upset about system files... worst is you reinstall) Do you keep your user files in /usr/lib or something? Even if you did.. I mean with a reinstall I could see you formatting wrong, but no way with updates. Broken system maybe.. lost, files ... not likely unless your hard drive failed. Maybe lost in that you don't know how to find them, not as in deleted. You could give details and ask for some help. You might even find there's a simple solution. Even if this was a Sabayon bug... it's a testing version. If you have so little patience for problems at least wait for the 5.1 release before upgrading and use the installation disk.
dagurasu
Simple Hen

Postby totedati » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:46

farfnarf wrote:WARNING!! DO NOT USE THAT CODE AS POSTED!!

Nightmare! I have lost all files and now have no operating system on the hard drive
where Sabayon 4.2 was! I am posting using Vista hard drive.

I ran the code and waited for two hours as "upgrade" was going on. The results are
a system that won't boot up or allow me to log in on a shell screen. I must now
install another linux on that hard drive. NO MORE SABAYON. Losing my files is
too much! Luckily I backed up the files I need for work.

Good luck. BE CAREFUL!!

bullshit!

lol!

i am jumping right now to that usual mantra:
equo hop 5
equo update
equo upgrade
<= today at 09:30 AM ... ;-D will see how long till all is done ...

and i don't understand at all why you are so scared ... if is not working you can always do a fresh install from live dvd iso ... but i like to test hard entropy upgrading infrastructure ... this is all about sabayon linux, quick and safe binary upgrading without a need to wait a long time ... is entropy baby!

Zoide wrote:
wolfden wrote:
joost wrote:You can migrate to branch 5 without reinstalling or downloading the DVD.

* Get latest entropy version first
* equo hop 5
* equo update
* equo upgrade

Remember that KDE 3.x is NOT supported anymore. If you have KDE3.x and other KDE3.x depending programs install I recommend to either do a clean Sabayon 5 install, or keep using Sabayon 4.

Remember that we will keep branch 4 in shape with security in mind.

We are planning to keep-alive Branch 5 allot longer. We will stop adding updates to it constantly but instead use the sabayon limbo repository for daily updates. This is a TESTING repository. So it can be a bit rough.

When we create 5.1, all packages from the Limbo repository will go into the mainline repository and become available for everybody. SO yeah that would mean a HUGE patch day. ANd after it you are 5.1 .

If you don't have a problem with daily updates and are a bit more advanced in Linux in general you can add this to /etc/entropy/repositories.conf

repository|sabayon-limbo|Sabayon Linux Limbo Repository|http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy|http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/entropy#bz2

^^ this is 1 line.

For a successful upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0, you must follow all the steps including the last one: adding the sabayon-limbo repository. After that, you must redo "equo update --force" then "equo world" for the last time.

gosh! you better think again ... twice! sabayon-limbo is for testing not for stable releases! for a successful upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0 don't do that! is unnecessary! only if you want to be a beta-tester ...

and remember to not skip necessary post-upgrade housekeeping:
Update your config files when done with upgrade
#equo conf update

Before rebooting
-- check your kernel with eselect kernel list and make sure it is correct latest kernel selected, it will have the * next to it.
-- check gcc version gcc-config -l and make sure it is on latest one
-- check binutils-config -l and make sure it's set
-- check eselect opengl list for right driver
-- check /boot/grub/grub.conf to make sure it updated properly
-- check eselect python list and make sure it set to the latest one

especially is a need for careful inspection of all drivers before reboot:
equo query --quiet tags 2.6.28-sabayon | sort
app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-3.0.2#2.6.28-sabayon
app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-2.1.4#2.6.28-sabayon
app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-2.2.0#2.6.28-sabayon
app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-2.2.2#2.6.28-sabayon
app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-2.2.4#2.6.28-sabayon
app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.23-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
app-laptop/omnibook-20080125#2.6.28-sabayon
app-laptop/tp_smapi-0.39#2.6.28-sabayon
media-sound/line6usb-0.7.3#2.6.28-sabayon
media-video/qc-usb-messenger-1.8-r2#2.6.28-sabayon
net-dialup/slmodem-2.9.11_pre20080817#2.6.28-sabayon
net-firewall/ipset-2.4.9-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
net-misc/et131x-1.2.3-r5#2.6.28-sabayon
net-wireless/acx-0.3.37_p20080112-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
net-wireless/broadcom-sta-5.10.27.14#2.6.28-sabayon
net-wireless/broadcom-sta-5.10.79.10-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.53-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
net-wireless/ralink-rt2860-1.8.0.0-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
net-wireless/ralink-rt2860-2.1.0.0#2.6.28-sabayon
sys-cluster/pvfs2-2.7.1#2.6.28-sabayon
sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.28#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r11#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.582-r10#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.593-r10#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.600-r10#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.15-r10#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.37-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.41-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.44-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.53-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-180.60-r1#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-185.18.14#2.6.28-sabayon
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.09-r10#2.6.28-sabayon

now ...

i bet, after distro hop-ing and upgrading will be 2.6.31-sabayon all around in all corners ...
totedati
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15

make sure if you are hopping to install the latest entropy first before equo upgrade, important fixes in the latest entropy
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby skysong » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31

oooh thank you so much ppl!! I've been keeping track of the SL 5 and now im trembling of excitement to install it! :D
skysong
Baby Hen

Postby R3MF » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:55

Congrats to the Sabayon team, and my thanks.
R3MF
Advanced Hen

Postby dagurasu » Sat Oct 03, 2009 13:57

by me: "If you have so little patience for problems at least wait for the 5.1 release before upgrading and use the installation disk."... my mistake, confused with limbo... irrelevant though since it didn't destroy that guy's "files" anyway.
dagurasu
Simple Hen

Postby hatalar205 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 16:17

Thanks. It is shining on my machine like a star. Great work!
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby Zoide » Sat Oct 03, 2009 16:48

Before using Sabayon, I used Gentoo for 5 years. I know what I'm doing for a successful upgrade: Like checking the relevancy of possible upgrades before doing so, using the correct command with equo, if some discrepancies affect my system, i'll use revdep-rebuild and so on...
Zoide
Young Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Press Releases