SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 3.1

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
lxnay
Land Owner

SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 3.1

Post by lxnay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 19:28

ANNOUNCE: SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 3.1

October 10th, 2006 - The Internet:

"Sabayon is an Italian dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, a sweet liquor (usually Marsala wine), and sometimes cream or whole eggs. It is a very light custard, which has been whipped to incorporate a large amount of air."

The World's first and fastest Gentoo Linux powered distribution now changes its name. A change of style and unification for the RR4/RR64 Linux projects. Our mission is simple: making things that just work, using one of the most scalable Operating System.

NEW FEATURES:
  • 2.6.18 Kernel
  • Added AIGLX Support (along with XGL) thanks to Beryl and Emerald
  • NVIDIA Drivers 9625 - ATi Drivers 8.29.6
  • Improved Graphic Cards detection support
  • X.Org Resolution autodetection support
  • Updated X.Org ATI Drivers to 6.6.3 release
  • nvidia.ko and fglrx.ko are now linked at runtime
  • Intel and ATi X.Org drivers now work nicely with AIGLX
  • Imported the Installer fixes from SVN
IMPORTANT NOTES:
  • This distribution contains libdvdcss look here if you live in the U.S. !.
  • This distribution contains proprietary and non-GPL softwares too (like from NVIDIA, ATI, Google, etc). Before running them, be sure to read their license and agree with that, otherwise, just remove those applications. To run SabayonLinux without Proprietary drivers, just use "noproprietary" boot flag.
  • Reiser4 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. This will be reaccessed at a later time.
  • When you exit ColdWar or Quake4 (if you boot with "coldwar" or "quake4") the System will shut down automatically.
  • Trademarks are property of their respective owners, everywhere.
UPGRADE INFO:

With SabayonLinux 3, has been introduced and integrated into its installer, a preliminary release of the Updater. Using this feature, you can upgrade ANY Gentoo/Gentoo-based installation (Gentoo, VLOS, RR4, RR64) to the latest and greatest SabayonLinux 3 without losing your personal data and settings. SabayonLinux Team, however, will only actively support RR4/RR64/SabayonLinux upgrades. But be aware, to avoid system inconsistencies, the Updater REMOVES every package (installed using Portage) that is NOT AVAILABLE ON THE DVD.
For example, if you have installed the package vmware-server using Kuroo or using Portage directly, this will be removed and needs to be manually re-installed by you. But don't worry, Portage never removes the settings of your applications. This, for someone, "weird behaviour", will be addressed with a new release of SabayonLinux Installer that will finally use Python Portage bindings to manage the installed applications. So, take this updater as a fully working proof of concept that will be actively worked on in future releases, letting the users' finally choose what to update and what not (at their own risk, as usualy).
By the way, for who don't care about that, I'd like to explain two major features of this amazing piece of Python code:
  • You can fix your current installation by choosing to reinstall every package, This will take a lot of time but will resurrect your SabayonLinux installation in cases of hard damaging.
  • You could (even if it's not so much tested) even upgrade your 32bit installation to a powerful 64bit one (but not the contrary) by using the function described above.
  • You can re-configure/reinstall your GRUB (Boot) settings/ without touching any configuration file and/or command line.
Last but not least, if you're using Reiser4 filesystem, you must not use the Updater. Since SabayonLinux 3 does not support Reiser4 anymore until it is official merged into the kernel.

RESOURCES for SabayonLinux x86 3.1: RESOURCES for SabayonLinux x86-64 3.1: Alternative Mirrors (not yet ready):
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:37

Added Mirror 1, thanks Mudrii :)
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

cvill64
Sagely Hen

Post by cvill64 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 20:27