SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 miniEdition 3.0

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
lxnay
Land Owner

SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 miniEdition 3.0

Post by lxnay » Tue Sep 26, 2006 23:38

ANNOUNCE: SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 miniEdition 3.0

September 27th, 2006 - The Internet:

"Sabayon is an Italian dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, a sweet liquor (usually Marsala wine), and sometimes cream or whole eggs. It is a very light custard, which has been whipped to incorporate a large amount of air."

The World's first and fastest Gentoo Linux powered distribution now has made a new record, AIGLX and XGL support on a single, powerful and cutting edge LiveCD, thanks to Mr. Beryl, Dr. Emerald (and the Beryl Project team - THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE ANYWAY) and the full power of hardware accelerated GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap. We were the first to support XGL on a Live system, and now, we are yet again the first to support the future of the Desktop Linux platform. We are proud to provide you the best Linux experience.

SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 miniEdition, commonly called the "mini", is the CD release of the latest SabayonLinux x86/x86-64 DVD. The creation of this special version, has been made with an automatic script that shrinks down the whole chroot jail by removing every duplicated, useless or server-oriented package. The multimedia features of these special editions are kept intact. So, enjoy that beautiful piece of software on a single CD!

NEW FEATURES and BUG FIXES since the 3.0 DVD Editions:
  • Extraordinary AIGLX support thanks to NVIDIA 1.0.9625 beta drivers, Beryl and Emerald pre-release (http://www.beryl-project.org) - (boot with: sabayon aiglx).
  • 2.6.18 Kernel based on gentoo-sources-2.6.18
  • r1000 Ethernet device support
  • Added VIA Technologies Graphics Cards automatic configuration
  • ATI Drivers 8.29.6 (all <R300 Radeon cards now use OpenSource drivers) - ATI cards will NOT work with AIGLX, yet.
  • Fixed a library problem that prevented most OSS Graphics Drivers to work properly with DRI enabled.
  • Fixed KDM startup slowness after installation
  • Switched to kicker-compiz (the Pager will work fine under Beryl and Compiz now)
  • Added Konversation 1.0
  • Updated Gwenview to 1.4.0
  • Installer: a lot of (mostly trivial) bugs fixed and added the support of AIGLX.
IMPORTANT NOTES:
  • This distribution contains libdvdcss read this if you live in the U.S. !.
  • This distribution contains proprietary and non-GPL softwares too (Examples: NVIDIA, ATI, Google, etc). Before running them, be sure to read their license and agree with that, otherwise, just remove those applications. To run SabayonLinux without Proprietary drivers, just use "noproprietary" boot flag.
  • Reiser4 is no more available, will be back with 2.6.20 kernel.
  • Trademarks are property of their respective owners, everywhere.
RESOURCES for SabayonLinux x86 miniEdition 3.0 (revision E): Image
RESOURCES for SabayonLinux x86-64 miniEdition 3.0 (revision D): Upgrade Feature - Portage Snapshots
You need these Portage Snapshots to accomplish the Upgrade function when running miniEditions
Last edited by lxnay on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:47, edited 1 time in total.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

cvill64
Sagely Hen

VT Mirror up

Post by cvill64 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 21:14

The Virginia Tech mirror has the latest mini editions now. You can do it through ftp or http.

http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/SabayonLinux/
ftp://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/SabayonLinux/

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Thu Sep 28, 2006 14:32

FAQ:

Q: I get this when trying to run emerge --sync:

Code: Select all

!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon'
!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage/local/layman/gentopia'
!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl'
!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon'
!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage/local/layman/gentopia'
!!! Invalid PORTDIR_OVERLAY (not a dir): '/usr/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl' 
A: Solution:

layman -f -a sabayon
layman -f -a portage-xgl
layman -f -a gentopia

Q: How can I obtain the kernel sources and prepare them for compiling a kernel module?

A: Just do this:

emerge --sync
emerge =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.18
cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make prepare modules_prepare
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+