[UNSUPPORTED] Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 1.1 PE Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

[UNSUPPORTED] Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 1.1 PE Release

Post by Dark_MaGe » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37

Press release: Sabayon Linux x86/x86_64 1.1 Professional Edition

October 22nd, 2007 - The Internet:

"Sabayon is an Italian dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, a sweet liquor (usually Marsala wine), and sometimes cream or whole eggs. It is a very light custard, which has been whipped to incorporate a large amount of air." Source: Wikipedia.
  • Distribution updates:
  • Live boot is now 3 times faster thanks to our improved OpenGL configuration tool
  • Updated KDE to 3.5.7
  • Updated wine to 0.9.47
  • Added Nopaste
  • Kernel 2.6.23.1 with the addition of rt2x00 tree patches for more wireless drivers support and latest acpi patches for support on fujitsu laptop
  • Changed sabayon-artwork to match latest art changes on sabayon style
  • Updated Knetworkmanager
  • Added git and cogito
  • Fixed agp gart issue on x86 for some chipset
  • Fixed audio problem on x86
  • Added screen
  • Made some cleanings for orphan files
  • Nvidia video drivers updated to 100.14.19
  • Added Innotek Virtualbox OSE
  • UpdatedOpenoffice 2.2.1
  • ATi video drivers updated to 8.40.4
  • Many more packages updated
DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE THE INSTALLER WITH THE ICON ON THE DESKTOP

Difference with Professional Edition is, it's built on the stable branch of portage x86 vs. ~x86. It's also geared towards the business area for applications. This version does not contain the 3D cube by default.

• Important Notes:
  • This distribution contains libdvdcss look here if you live in the U.S. !.
  • This distribution contains proprietary and non-GPL softwares too (like from NVIDIA, ATI, Google, etc). Before running them, be sure to read their license and agree with that, otherwise, just remove those applications. To run SabayonLinux without Proprietary drivers, just use "noproprietary" boot flag.
  • Trademarks are property of their respective owners, everywhere.

daedius
Simple Hen

Re: Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 1.1 Professional Edition Release

Post by daedius » Tue Oct 23, 2007 21:49

Thankyou! =)

Nicolas
Baby Hen

Post by Nicolas » Tue Oct 23, 2007 23:45

I'll try to provide xdeltas; if I ever get to download the 1.0 iso.

Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Post by Dark_MaGe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 0:02

Nicolas wrote:I'll try to provide xdeltas; if I ever get to download the 1.0 iso.
it would be pretty useless...everything changed...so you would save just a bunch of mb from 1.0 to 1.1 this is why I didn't do it myself and also removed 1.0 iso...also they were pretty buggy...this should be far better

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06

How to Compiz-Fusion with PE

There is two methods I will use for this. One involves changing the arch and the other uses keywords. You can decide which method to use. Just be aware that change the arch effects all future usage of package management as it pulls unstable packages.

Method 1 - Changing the arch
Remember that changing the arch effects which packages you install from here on out. IMHO it is better to use Method 2 if you want to keep stable branch.

Before starting you need to:
su to root, so:

Code: Select all

su

emerge --sync && layman -S
after that, if you are an ATI user, you need to update your ati-drivers to use AIGLX so:

emerge ati-drivers && ln -s /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 && emerge desktop-acceleration-helpers

nano /etc/make.conf
You need to change the following line:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
change it to
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
note if you're running 64 bit that it will be different, use common sense here, we are only interested in adding the ~
hit cntrl x to close, hit Y when asked to save. You can also run kdesu konqueror if you need a gui method instead of nano, use same paths and directions of editing.

Now we need to unmask x11-misc/desktop-acceleration-helpers in /etc/portage/package.mask

nano /etc/portage/package.mask
find the line with x11-misc/desktop-acceleration-helpers and delete that line
hit cntrl x to close, hit Y when asked to save.

Time to setup compiz-fusion, simply do:

echo "x11-apps/fusion-icon qt4" >> /etc/portage/package.use
Ready for install:

emerge desktop-acceleration-helpers compiz-fusion && aiglx-setup enable
That will install every thing you need, all you need to do after that is done is restart X

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method 2 - Using Package Keywords
Before starting you need to:
su to root, so:

su

emerge --sync && layman -S
after that, if you are an ATI user, you need to update your ati-drivers to use AIGLX so:

emerge ati-drivers && ln -s /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
Let's unmask x11-misc/desktop-acceleration-helpers in /etc/portage/package.mask

nano etc/portage/package.mask
find the line with x11-misc/desktop-acceleration-helpers and delete that line
hit cntrl x to close, hit Y when asked to save.

setup fusion-icon

echo "x11-apps/fusion-icon qt4" >> /etc/portage/package.use
Now all we have to do is edit our /etc/portage/package.keywords file

nano /etc/portage/package.keywords
add the following to this file
x11-wm/compiz ~x86
x11-libs/libcompizconfig ~x86
dev-python/compizconfig-python ~x86
x11-apps/fusion-icon ~x86
x11-libs/compiz-bcop ~x86
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-main ~x86
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf ~x86
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra ~x86
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig ~x86
x11-apps/ccsm ~x86
x11-wm/emerald ~x86
x11-themes/emerald-themes ~x86
x11-wm/compiz-fusion ~x86
dev-python/sip ~x86
dev-python/PyQt4 ~x86
All set now for install

emerge desktop-acceleration-helpers compiz-fusion && aiglx-setup enable
That will install every thing you need, all you need to do after that is done is restart X

Happy C-F in PE!

papageorgio
Baby Hen

Post by papageorgio » Wed Oct 24, 2007 18:00

Thanks!!! I really like the new Sabayon PE 1.1 I'm running it now, and thanks for the compiz fusion info Wolfden. :)

Nicolas
Baby Hen

Post by Nicolas » Wed Oct 24, 2007 18:10

Ugh, why is the .md5 on the torrent? It makes it a multi-file torrent making it harder to seed an existing file (since the BT client would usually create a folder), and there is no real need for it, torrents have built-in verification...

Nicolas
Baby Hen

Post by Nicolas » Wed Oct 24, 2007 18:57

> > I'll try to provide xdeltas; if I ever get to download the 1.0 iso.
>
> it would be pretty useless...everything changed...so you would save just a bunch of mb from 1.0 to 1.1
> this is why I didn't do it myself and also removed 1.0 iso...also they were pretty buggy...this should be far better

So far total in 1000 MB: out 695 MB; so yeah it's not worth it.

barenca
Baby Hen

Post by barenca » Wed Oct 24, 2007 22:50

I had the hope to find new things in this release of sabayon, but i found some new problems i did not have before (3.4 mini edition).

I own an Acer 7520-5626 from Mexico, it had and atheros AR5007EG, nVidia 7000m, HDA.

Well the problems start at the installation time, it hangs!!!!!!!!!!! a black screen appears!!!!! after selection on the main menu the first option, so i discovered that if i pressed the power button the installation continued, and then, when selecting the "Latin american layout" for keyboard, it takes thee Arabic language!!!!!!!!!!!, well i had to select "Spain" layout....and after i while, i was waiting to solve my problems with the wireless, sound card and camara, but thing got worse!!!!!!, when the installation finish, at the moment to choose "Sabayon" (when booting) that BLACK screen appears again!!!!!!!!!!!, and once again the power button (just one time) and the Sabayon screen appears, but when the login screen is ready, the keyboard DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so, i could not log on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

What is happening???????

Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Post by Dark_MaGe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 23:08

barenca wrote:I had the hope to find new things in this release of sabayon, but i found some new problems i did not have before (3.4 mini edition).

I own an Acer 7520-5626 from Mexico, it had and atheros AR5007EG, nVidia 7000m, HDA.

Well the problems start at the installation time, it hangs!!!!!!!!!!! a black screen appears!!!!! after selection on the main menu the first option, so i discovered that if i pressed the power button the installation continued, and then, when selecting the "Latin american layout" for keyboard, it takes thee Arabic language!!!!!!!!!!!, well i had to select "Spain" layout....and after i while, i was waiting to solve my problems with the wireless, sound card and camara, but thing got worse!!!!!!, when the installation finish, at the moment to choose "Sabayon" (when booting) that BLACK screen appears again!!!!!!!!!!!, and once again the power button (just one time) and the Sabayon screen appears, but when the login screen is ready, the keyboard DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so, i could not log on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

What is happening???????
did you check that md5sum is correct?