Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision F: Stable Release

This is the place where you can find all the Sabayon Linux Press Releases
lxnay
Land Owner

Re: Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.4 Revision F: Stable Release

Post by lxnay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:10

enable BBcode :roll:
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

maurizio.omissoni
Baby Hen

Post by maurizio.omissoni » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:17

version 3.3 was very fast on my hardware but now.... i wait 4 version 10z

sicknessjb
Simple Hen

Post by sicknessjb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 17:15

compiz has been updated to v0.5.2 also. didnt see this on the first page

ajez
The Blamed One

Post by ajez » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:36

http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org/ is the correct place where u have to report bugs :D more infos let our devs to reproduce the bug and try to correct it . thx for the report :D

billydv
Baby Hen

Post by billydv » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:38

Dyingmuppet, I'm not trying to commerce ANYTHING!!!, I could give two shits about the electric sheep screensaver as in all honesty I dont like it but the simple fact of the matter is that it keeps the cpu's busy enough that they don't go to sleep and freeze as every other damned screensaver has done that I have tried. I have worked day and night for 3 months trying every single possible combination to alleviate the problems of running beryl or compiz-fusion and not have your box freeze up and its insulting to think that YOU might believe I'm trying to push the electric sheep screensaver. The reason it works is because its not a regular screensaver. Furthermore You shouldn't activate dri when you are running nvidia, if you are running a gentoo or suse distro you must comment out your dri section at the bottom and comment out the load dri module line at the top. If you are running anything debian based or ubuntu based you must replace load "dri" with disable "dri". I have written a whole write up on preliminary steps for nvidia users to do to eliminate freezing. Its at
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-57 ... ight-.html

The fact of the matter is that the majority of the freezing problems people have running nvidia drivers with linux are related to mistakes in their xorg.conf or other things wrong that are causing high cpu usage and ultimately freezing. Thats not to say that the nvidia-drivers work perfectly for everyone, I believe that they do have some issues but from 6 or 7 computers that I have , not one freezes when everything is correct. That is until you run beryl or compiz-fusion and activate the animations plugin. THATS the plugin that causes freezing when you are running compositing. If you follow my guide to the preliminary steps you need to take in order to setup xorg and your system and do not run compiz or disable the animations plugin, this will probably eliminate 80 percent of user problems. If you must have the animations plugin, then using my workaround will allow you to do so without coming back to a blank login screen and a frozen desktop as I had for months prior to coming up with this.

gowger
Young Hen

Post by gowger » Wed Sep 12, 2007 13:10

Anybody else having trouble getting the torrents downloaded?

I've been trying with rtorrent and they keep failing the hash checks. After they've completed rtorrent does a re-hash check and keeps failing with 95% downloaded. It's like there's a bad seed but I don't see why it isn't picked up until the download is complete, I thought bittorrent hash checked on the fly.

I've tried from a couple of different locations, but my bandwidth limit is exceeded now and ftp fails from work probably due to very annoying windows proxy!

I've just got a new quad core beast and I won't accept any other distro! :-)

dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Post by dyingmuppet » Thu Sep 13, 2007 18:56

@ billydv I meant that commerce sarcastic :wink: don't take it so seriously man...

I didn't know dri has to be commented out, some time before I had to uncomment it instead but that was with Fedora or Slackware I think... (some time ago)
btw now I remember, in that time I still had a crappy ATI videocard and a little slower system xD... now I have a much better Nvidia videocard :)
I'm sorry for confusing you...

btw2: I can't set BBCode in this topic?? as far as I know I can in other topics :|

grtz DM

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Thu Sep 13, 2007 23:54

Use the search function and you'll find that fglrx.ko is built at runtime before loading X :roll:
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:54

[quote="[email protected]"]I was wondering if the hanging of the Desktop loading has to do with the fact that the kernel module is not properly installed on the DVD?!? When I boot m Inspiron 8600 with the live DVD of 3.4f (which boot quick!!!! and more importantly, finally recognises my 1680x1050 resolution!) and then press alt+F1 to get the text-boot, it gives a warning that it cannot find the file /lib/some/path/fglrx.ko. I think that that one is quite vital for ATI support! Maybe a little bugfix needed there? For the rest: will love to install it soon!![/quote]

Hi there and welcome here.

Did you try to update your modules ? A correct how-to is in the wiki or on gentoo.org as well.
update-modules --force or update-modules force
The 1680x1050 is that not a ati bug in the previous ati driver and the latest ati driver has fixed this for you = great news. Unfortunately this is not windows so we do not have 100000 people fixing things only about 10 or there about so expect a few things to go bump in the night sometimes. The bugs we could find has been fixed or we are awaiting corrected code form the makers of the buggy software until then just hang in there.

You could also search for cheat codes or on the live dvd /3.4f iso is a readme file that can be opened with a text editor in any OS and this contains the cheat codes that can be used at boot / in grub / at live dvd boot. Read our wiki if some terms here does not make sense or using google to search for answers.

We have a wonderfull growing wiki on top of this page or the search/advanced search function top right of the page + gentoo forums / wiki can also be used as this is gentoo based.

Hope this helps.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:58

[quote="SilentSam"]3.4F has issues with my hardware:
Nvidia Geforce 7600gs
Core 2 Duo
Asus P5N motherboard
2 gig DDR2 ram

Bugs:
Compiz Fusion freezes the kicker (booted with AIGLX rendering).
Danger from the Deep crashes.
Nexuiz randomly removes skins from the models.

reading some of these posts it apparently has to do with the nvidia driver? I don't have these issues with 3.4D, nor any other distro using the nvidia driver.

Just wanted to report the bugs for the Dev team. Cheers,

Dan[/quote]

Unfortunately compiz + glx + nvidia is a bit funky but a fix / temp fix has been posted see the 3.4f + nvidia + compiz + aiglx one I made recently and try the fix LX posted there it should work . You can also try compiz developers / glx /aiglx developers maybe they have beta software you can try and this might have the fix we are waiting for in it.

Hope this helps.