Wine not setting up...

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

lag
Baby Hen

Wine not setting up...

Post by lag » Thu Aug 23, 2007 22:06

In my fresh install of sabayon e under the gnome desktop, I input my info into the name and company fields, check the I have a valid copy of m$ windows, and hit proceed, but nothing happens. It just sits there with the status of idle. Someone, anyone, what am I doing wrong here??
Thanks in advance!
-lag

Azerthoth
Simple Hen

Re: Wine not setting up...

Post by Azerthoth » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:43

to set up wine its command line winecfg, sounds like your setting up wine-doors.

lag
Baby Hen

Post by lag » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:03

Isn't wine-doors necessary to use wine? Does wine itself come preinstalled with sabayon (dvd iso) or do I need to d/l it seperately?
thanks!

phzi
Simple Hen

Post by phzi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 20:49

No, wine-doors is just a GUI interface to wine... wine-doors is most definitely not required for wine.

Belial
Young Hen

Post by Belial » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:35

See above about the wine / wine0doors confusion, though if you do want wine doors working see this thread

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 3018#53018

(Search is your friend ;))

FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Post by FrozenFox » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:46

Just going to quickly add my two bits that may help you out.

To run an .exe in wine, you just need to open up the console/terminal, the command is wine *.exe. For instance, for stuff.exe on the desktop, wine ~/Desktop/stuff.exe.

I know in kde you can set up .exe's to open on doubleclick (if wine can open them ok) by going into the control center under kde components and file associations and making a new type .exe with filename patterns *.exe *.Exe *.EXE and setting the command to wine. I'd guess gnome has something similar, so perhaps this description would be helpful. It's usually better to run it in the console so you can see if there's a problem opening said executable, but whatever floats your boat.

As everyone else has said, wine-doors is a gui to help in the installation of common and/or difficult to install programs under wine, an automated process of sorts. Wine is by no means limited to what programs show up in wine-doors.