Energy saving fails with Kernel 3.12.7 [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Energy saving fails with Kernel 3.12.7 [Solved]

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 19:11

Hallo guys.
Bad news (again). After upgrading my Sabayon 14.01 KDE 4.12.0, 64bit with Kernel 3.12.6 last night, there was a new Kernel, version 3.12.7. I'm using Kaffeine with disabled NVidia drivers (only Intel built-in graphics), and I usually need about 19 to 29 watts (when Kaffeine is running). I have Sabayon 14.02 now.
But after upgrade to Kernel 3.12.7, my watt consumption rises mostly to more than 42 watts. I assume, in Kernel module for ACPI? or so, there is a bug. For that, I have restored my last /boot and /lib/modules/3.12.0-sabayon directories back to my running system. Now the watt consumption is low again, as it was before. I only have some (little) graphic display problems, e.g. when I open a KDE program (Kaffeine, Kate, LibreOffice Write...) in full screen mode. Then the first line (headline above the menu line) is quite broken. This does not appear in Chromium.
So, first, is my assumption correct, that there is a bug in Kernel 3.12.7, especially in energy management?
Second, how can I fix my graphic problem for the moment? I won't install Kernel 3.12.7 with high watt consumption.
Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48, edited 1 time in total.
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Energy saving fails with Kernel 3.12.7

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:47

Update: I've updated my Kernel to version 3.13. With this Kernel power consumption is as normal as it was with Kernel 3.12.6 and earlier. So, for me the problem is solved.

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Energy saving fails with Kernel 3.12.7 [Solved]

Postby notzippy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 23:55

Hi..

I did not see the 3.13 in the kernel-switcher, how did you switch to that kernel ? I am having a lot of lockups with BTRFS on 3.12 and I have read that 3.13 is much more stable.

thanks
Nz
notzippy
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 17:27

Due to the circumstance, that kernels are only updated in the same mainline (3.11.x, 3.12.x ...) you need to install a new kernel mainline manually. I read this website daily:
https://www.kernel.org/
Then, I know about latest official kernel. To check for Sabayon, I simply open a konsole (terminal) as root and type in:
Code: Select all
equo s linux-sabayon-3.1

Then I get listed all existing linux-sabayon kernels of mainline 3.1x... I see this:
[email protected]:equo s linux-sabayon-3.13
╠  @@ Suche...
╠      @@ Paket: sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.13 Branch: 5, [sabayonlinux.org]
╠          Verfügbar:      Version: 3.13 ~ tag: NoTag ~ Version: 0
╠          Installiert:    not installed
╠          Slot:           3.13
╠          Homepage:       https://github.com/Sabayon/kernel
╠          Beschreibung:   Official Sabayon Linux Standard
╠                          kernel image
╠          Lizenz:         GPL-2 freedist
╠   Schlüsselwörter:  linux-sabayon-3.13
╠   Gefunden:         1 Eintrag

In this moment, I know, kernel 3.13 is on repo now. Then I install manually with:
equo i linux-sabayon-3.13

After that, grub2-mkconfig is executed automatically and you'll boot with kernel 3.13. Kernel 3.12 is still installed also.
Remember, when you use Kernel 3.13, you must install some drivers (nvidia, radeon) and modules (e.g. VirtualBox) for this kernel.
Good luck!

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby notzippy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 0:43

Thanks for the response, 3.13 showed up in the repo this weekend, but after installing my machine got hung up on the boot sequence. Will have to investigate more to see if I can determine the cause..

Nz
notzippy
Growing Hen

Postby Cb7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 0:45

wat.
For me kernel-switcher worked perfectly with 3.13 kernel. All I did was:
kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-3.13

Perhaps you notzippy are on sabayon-weekly repo...
BTW btrfs, I had lockup on 3.13.0, so improvement is great it seems :P </s>
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby notzippy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 0:54

Yes I am on weekly, for a change I tried the kernel switcher in rigo, then did an update. Maybe that sequence is not the best, my hope was that 3.13 would be better for btrfs as I had several lockups over the past couple weeks compiling. But if there are still issues maybe I will just move to an ext4 partition.

Thanks
Nz
notzippy
Growing Hen

Postby Cb7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:10

Well, newer kernel is always better with btrfs. Though lockup in my case happened when (I think) script was sending & receiving incremental snapshot of my /home..

From my point of view, btrfs is good enough to use it (and already has killer features), perhaps you should re-evaluate whether it's good enough for you too.
From what I've seen, btrfs will get a ton of fixes and improvements in 3.14, so there is light in dark tunnel. :D
Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. ← credits to Fitzcarraldo

Kind regards
~Zetok Zalbavar
Cb7
Growing Hen

Postby notzippy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:34

Yes the features have always impressed me, and I found performance was great as well, but I am running a couple of VM's on the same box and a lockup is very bad. I am building android roms on BTRFS so lots of IO :-)

Nz
notzippy
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 17:01

Cb7 wrote:wat.
For me kernel-switcher worked perfectly with 3.13 kernel. All I did was:
kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-3.13

Perhaps you notzippy are on sabayon-weekly repo...

I am working with weekly repo. I always do an update of my repo with Rigo manually. So, when I've checked for Kernel 3.13 with:
equo s linux-sabayon-3.13
I was on weekly repo also. Only this command and an explicit search in Rigo will tell you, the Kernel you want is part of your repo (or not). Exactly, the equo s command in root knosole is more precisely for me.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Software in General